Which should I use to run openHAB... Raspbery Pi2 or QNAP NAS?

Just trying to decide before I get started. Thanks!

Let the opinions begin :slight_smile:

I would use the NAS. Pi’s and SD cards are trouble.

But, if you aren’t married to either, I would do something else like a VM or mini-itx build or something.

1 Like

Haha… I figured this may have been discussed before. :slight_smile: I’m not married to either one but I just obtained a QNAP TS-470 and I’d like to use it for openHAB since it will be on 24/7.

Do step-by-step install instructions exist? I’m a complete newbie to HA and QNAP. Thanks!

You can check this: https://docs.openhab.org/installation/qnap.html

An aspect I don’t see too often covered: I personally like the freedom when using a pi that I can just start from scratch easily when I get stuck trying to modify/install too many things I have too little experience with to be fully proficient…granted that works with a VM too, but a RPI is unbeatable for playing, tinkering, messing up and being absolutely certain that no other system gets touched by whatever I am doing…one of the main reasons I am not running OH2 on my NAS or elsewhere except as a stand-alone system (RPI or more recently a VM)…and there were many times where i was very glad about the containment that offered…it is all about skills (or maybe confidence in one’s skills), mine are limited, so there…

Thanks @Moxified… I’ll check that out.

@lipp_markus… this makes sense to me. I have a Pi 2 but no power supply or SD card. As a newbie, this might be the way for me to go. Are there any functional differences between running on each platform?

It’s just java code so no “functional” differences really. Performance, installation and maintenance would be the biggest differences.

If you want to just learn, the pi is a great way to get started and I would go there. I would prefer the NAS over the PI for ultimate reliability. As such, I’m not the kind that likes to do things twice so I recommended starting on the NAS. If you want to learn and then move to something other than these 2, the pi is easier to get going on IMO.

I’d like to only set it up once so I suppose I’ll go with the NAS. I have so much to learn… Will a zwave stick be plug and play pretty much on the QNAP?

Unfortunately I haven’t tried that but this thread seems to suggest it it passes through if you use a usb2 port:

from a beginners perspective: no real difference as you have to learn your way one way or the other (and both are Unix based systems), your rpi2 may be a little slower, but it is not really significant. As for the rest: I started years ago with poor programming and unix skills, I cannot even count how many times it was easier to just start from scratch because I messed up and I did not know how to recover from there. It all depends how many things you want to learn all at once…I had my fill with beginners Unix and OH2 and took great comfort knowing that I will not touch any other system in my house when things go south; apologies if I am overstressing this point

I’m running my OH in a Openhabian-VM on my Qnap.
It’s very convenient to create snapshots before udating the system.
And it’s running much faster than on the Raspi I was using before.

Thanks @mashborn… What OS VM are you running OH2 on with your QNAP?

I’m running Ubuntu with openhabian

Nice… any issues getting a Z-Wave stick working?

It worked with USB-Stick in Qnap - but if you play with snapshots, it’s not so comrtable to assign the physical usb-port to the right VM.
So I switched to this variant:

I’m running an old raspi with enocean and zwave stick. So I can position it to the central place in my house and didn’t touch it again.
Works like a a charm

2 Likes

Hi mashborn

i’ve the same configuration what version do you use (desktop, server, mate)?
I saw you have really little ram busy.
have you had problems with the installation of openhabian?
did you uninstall openjdk first and installed zulu via openhabian?
i’ve some issue with firemotd

Hi, In the screenshot was only 1GB Ram assigned. In the meantime I’ve 3 GB and two processors assigned.
It’s running very quick.

Thanks for this posting. I have a QNAP TS-251+ x86 w/ 8Gb of RAM currently running only the minimal of default apps. It’s main duty is as a fileserver for RuneAudio. Not having to purchase another PI to start playing with OpenHAB is great.