Which Smoke Detector (Groups, Notification, etc)

Anyone?

I have bought 12 Popp 004001.
It was no problem to add them as things. When I put in batteries in all of them I get an alarm sooner or later. What settings are recommended for this thing? Any other advices how to set up/configure and use them best? What about linking them in Z-Wave together? Of course they pair themselves outside of Z-Wave.
Thank you for your kind advice.

I am not sure if you can get then where you are but for notification and alarms I used Kidde …Check out my instructable https://www.instructables.com/id/Complete-Raspberry-Pi-Nova-Wireless-Home-Monitoring
I wouldn’t recommend using battery powered anything when it comes to life safety …Hire an electrician and put in at least one powered smoke detector

Hi,
I am Germany based and we have to use DIN certified detectors by law. Anyhow I am interested in your instrutable but get a 404 when I try to load

huh … yea tried that too … Search my user name .in the instructable web site .Jade7272 that should work …

I have 6 of the POPP 4001, which are certified for Germany.
They are working with zwave, but I am not 100% happy with them.
As others have detected and it was also confirmed by POPP service: They send a battery status with 100%. This only switches to zero, when the battery alarm is already active, no values in between. So this is useless information!
Also you should only connect 3 or 4 of them together. More is not working without a central controller, I think this is due to latency of the communication.

Holger

Hmm that doesn’t sound good - I wanted to buy them.

@HolgerL do you know any better alternatives?

No, I have no better alternative, at least if you want to stick to a zwave device.
At least for the intended core funktion, the smoke detection, they should be good according to test reviews I had read.

And outside of zwave?

what about Homematic IP via CCU2?
http://www.eq-3.de/produkte/homematic-ip/homematic-ip-rauchwarnmelder-mit-q-label.html

I can confirm these issues with my 2 POPP 4001 devices. Additionally they really drain the battery very quick. The maximum so far was 6 months, often it is only 3-4 months. This is not acceptable for a battery powerd Z-Wave device and this purpose.
I originally intended to buy even some more but I will not do this after these experinces (have them for 15 months now). They offer the nice feature of using the siren by rules as they are FLiRS devices but apparently this is eating up battery and so of no practical use. I will probably go for the POPP 009402 which is not frequently listening (siren not usable for other applications) but supposed to last 10 years. Even if it only reaches 5 years it would already be a big improvement to the 4001.

1 Like

What about https://manuals.fibaro.com/smoke-sensor?

Many false alarms reportet as well. Do Not have owwn experiance on it so need comments of real users

I also have 5 of Popp 4001. And I was unhappy at the beginning, too.

But now, I switched OFF Parameter 5 and Parameter 6.

Put 3 Popps and 2 Popps together in 2 different Association Groups.

Controlling siren (burglar alarm) via OH2 rules.
Controlling smoke alarm via OH2 rules.
Controlling battery alarm via OH2 rules.

NEVER had a false alarm.

Tested smoke alarm with a testspray. And the associated smoke detectors then started all an alarm.

The only disadvantage of this scenario is: OH2 always has to run. But this is the sense of a home automation system. :wink:

1 Like

I also had Parameters 5 and 6 switched OFF. However battery life was very poor. How long last yours?

Sorry. I could not tell you. I bought mine in October and November 2017. No battery issues since then.

Ok, this is only 3-4 months so far. You might have to change the battery soon for the first time…

Ok, I’m going to report this.

Damn … I thought the Popp 4001 would be the best option for me… but this doesn’t sound too good.
The new Popp ones with 10 years battery life are very expensive.

They are more expensive, that is true. I just ordered one for testing and I will report battery life. However, this might (hopefully) take some time…