Which weather binding to use

No, I abandoned the effort. The DarkSky and OpenWeatherMap bindings provide everything I need so I’ve moved on to other things. Parsing the XML and calculating the precipitation forecast for the day, where I got stuck, would be a lot easier to achieve in Scripted Automation though. I’ve thought about revisiting this but haven’t thus far.

2 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply!

DarkSky has been acquired by Apple and are not giving out API keys any longer. Thought that would be a great service, but not any longer. I’ll have to look for something else. I’ve dumped WeatherUnderground once WeatherChannel purchased them. So looking for something else.

I whipped up something quickly in NodeRed to pull data from https://www.weather.gov/documentation/services-web-api. Weather forecasts and alerts are injected into openHAB as flags to trigger events and strings for TTS. The flags are used to trigger the Aeotec Siren tornado siren when a tornado is approaching or nearby. Strings are turned into TTS announcements if any significant amount of snow develops before the alarm clock sounds, so I can get on the road sooner, and for nightly forecasts announcements.

5 Likes

@TheMachine I don’t suppose you want to share the flow on this? This looks like it would be very close to what I’m trying to achieve.

1 Like

Sure… I didn’t see a notification for this.

PM me.

I sent a PM and am also very interested. I would love to use the NWS data rather than rely on a third party service that might disappear any day.

I would love forecasting that is more accurate than NWS. For farming or gardening you depend on their forecasts at your peril. They have downsized to the point they have lost forecast accuracy. They compensate for that by updating more often. It is easier to “predict” rain if it is already raining.

Okay… I will get it packaged up and sent over to you today. I will also include a list of all of the required pallet modules I have installed

Please send it to me too.

Thank you for doing this TheMachine
LaMachina (assuming it’s the band) - could use a wikipedia.com page. Let me know if I may help with getting one up.

openHAB is opensource, and I am new to all of this, and understand skepticism. Let’s ask … “NICER” ?
" I don’t suppose you want to share the flow on this?"
VS
“would you please share the flow?”

PLEASE?

They shared it to me in a private message. No pleading needed.

1 Like

I will forward it along in a few minutes

2 Likes

Sent. Let me know if you need any assistance. Change your location, what weather stations you want to monitor. I use a MS SQL Server database to cache all weather alerts, warnings, etc. You may have other needs. I am willing to share the database table structures, and stored procedures and you can adapt to your system requirements as needed.

2 Likes

To your point. Last year the broadcast system failed to send out alerts for an approaching tornado. No sirens, no message, nothing worked. I sent the NWS a Corrective Action Notice, after I caught the fault with my NodeRed/OH automation. They did respond, nearly a year later with a fix to the system.

1 Like

Government (in)efficiency at work. They claim their forecast accuracy has improved. Actually, they just change t after the fact.
We just found a, iOS app that appears to have reasonable forecast accuracy but I cannot locate their data source :frowning:

I use Weather Company and for my purposes, it is okay.

We grow our own vegetables and an accurate forecast to determine what needs to be done and when it can be done is crucial.

Unfortunately, we have had issues with the local forecast from them.

Thanks. Just realizing I never thanked you in the original thread. Really appreciate you sharing that with us.