Which wifi radiator valves?

I have an old single pipe system, the valve is positioned at the bottom of the radiator, which is why it measures differently.
anyway I changed the system, I gave up the offset and I go to change the target every 15 minutes and for the moment it works, I am checking how long the battery will last

Locating the valve at the bottom of the radiator is probably better than having it at the top; this is because there will be no rising hot air flowing past the sensor. The critical thing in a TRV design is that it is constructed with very high thermal insulation between the part that touches the hot water pipe, and the part where the sensor is located. If the design is good, then it will not be influenced by the pipe temperature.

I had similar issues with the max! Wireless trv, solved by adding a wall thermostat do each room. This allows repositioning the temperature measurement to a more suitable point in the room and really help in our house. I see Tado sell separate room thermostats for their system which I would imagine work in a similar way to the max! Eq3, you assign devices to a room and all trvs in that room are controlled by the wall thermostat which you place in a suitable point in the room. Worth a try in one room at least.
I have a few remote temp sensors used to check temp accuracy and the correlation between the trv control and independent sensors is now within 0.5 degree Celsius when wall 'stat and sensor side by side, although it varies across the room by up to 1.5 degees, due to draughty French windows!
BTW this was a problem back with the old mechanical trv too, Drayton sold a remote trv head for the trv4 to solve exactly this problem.
I hope this sorts the problem, it did for us.

hi,i have thermostat in every room and i am looking for cheap zigbee radiator valve solution so i can turn off the room’s radiator when the temperature is right.Any suggestion?

Hi Constantinos, I did have a brief look at using separate valves and thermostats, however there wasn’t much around ready built and although possible to make diy it didn’t seem worthwhile. I rejected it in the end as purpose built smart trvs will provide proportional valve control, i. e. not on or off but shutting down the flow as the set point temperature is approached, hopefully stabilising at a setting that maintains the required temperature. Most will also adapt to the radiator by measuring how fast the room heats up and adapting to match that delta value. The other reason I went for smart trvs is that they hold the weekly settings locally, so should something happen to your openhab system they remain functional and you don’t boil or freeze.

1 Like