Which wired system works best with openhab

Because WiFi devices have an IP address opening the door for the villains of the Internet - the others do not. Because (physical) attackers might have a laptop but rarely a zwave stick. That does not make the implementation more secure but an attack a lot less likely to happen.
ZWave is no slower than KNX. If yours is, it’s probably because of your zwave network that needs to be healed.

For starters, they need development and support staffed by paid personnel. Everyone involved with OH are volunteers.

Why paid personal??
I understand the need of support. But not paid personal. It has not much to do with “designed for commercial use”, except, its become an expectation - When things are “paid for”, they´re better… Or, when things are “paid for”, you can make demands for support/refunds etc…

But these things has not much to do with, wether the system itself is not designed for commercial use. The system design is exactly the same. But the infrastrukture is different.

Otherwise you are abusing volunteers for profit. Eclipse Smart Home was designed for commercial use but died because of that.

Thats what I meant with the infrastructure.

Which makes this tread off-topic for this volunteer forum.

The thread is about which wired system is best with openhab. Is that off topic?

For commercial purposes, yes.

As I previously stated (and you agreed) commercial support should be elsewhere. Which systems to support is part of that infrastructure.

1 Like

I do agree. But as far as Wifi itself is secure, it doesn’t bother me. More important for me is, that wireless devices are hackable if something is wrong in the firmware which makes the devices unsecure also if the protocol itself isn’t. And that’s the only thing which let me think to go mainly to a wired system.

I totally disagree and it has nothing to do with my system. Zwave is slower in short range without need of a mesh device and without AES encryption. Zwave is more slower when routing to 1-n mesh device(s) is needed. Zwave can be really slow when routing to 1-n mesh device(s) and AES encryption is enabled. That is not only in theory, it’s also in the practice the case. I build up two zwave networks. One with zwave uzb controller and one with the aeotec. I have devices from fibaro, qubino and some other models. For sure it’s not mainly about frequency and zwave, it’s more about processing unit and the amount of hops and encryption you strongly need for range and security.

about the discussion openhab and commercial: I’m working for a big company and the situation is clear for them: big companies like microsoft, bmw, apple, sap etc. would mostly not work with open source software because of missing maintenance possibilities. Imagine there is a security breach in zwave and the zwave binding needs an update asap. there is no guarantee when this will happen because of missing contracts to e.g. openhab software. it’s also indipendent to a system integrator because he can’t solve this situation (fast… I know that every developer is able to modify / write a new binding - but it will take more time without a guarantee timeline).

but IMO this isn’t that important for small and mid size companies. especially if a software and the binding you want to use are stable in the current release and because of a wired system, you have to have physical contact to a wire to hack something.

@mstormi I didn’t find anything about the homematic ip wired security issues. do you have any source where I can read about that?

@chrode as a DMX user: is DMX able to dimm leds with integrated power supply like GU10?

so to summary the last 25 posts:

• KNX runs stable with openhab, also if some posts in other forums says that it doesnt? KNX needs ets5 prof software and I need to find out if the electrician man does have the prof edition or lite.
  • homematic ip wired does have security issues? does it work stable?
  • velbus could be an alternative which isn’t so well known in the internet. I will have an exchange in the next week with the UK importer. developer software is for free.
  • DMX can also be an alternative… currently I’m not sure if DMX can dimm HV (230v leds like GU10).
  • zwave / zigbee is a no go at least for me. a wireless alternative could be shelly (maybe also sonoff) but I’m not sure if I want this (because hackable without physical contact if security breach is in firmware ) also if it’s probably the cheapest solution which can work equal good to a wired system
  • currently I don’t see any advantage for a loxone system and it’s probably the most expensive one.

do any of you know if there is a rj45 dimmer box out like e.g. this (but with dimmer functionality): https://www.ebay.de/i/392890882056

I really don’t understand why there is no competitor who produces this… I would directly buy this when it would has mqtt or websocket support.

1 Like

There are many companies supporting open source software, if you care to look. For instance, the nain developer of FreeRADIUS offter commercial support for the open source software through his comany based in France. Red Hat & Canonical are two well known comanies supporting their open source software.

Many large companies shy away from open source software sue to lack of them controlling it and that their competitor can use the same software.

2 Likes

@Bruce_Osborne you are right with these cases. my statement was to general. but it’s not with openhab. there is no company behind it. however, I dont see any issues with openhab with my project and for the company of my friend.

1 Like

As I previously stated though there are some that offer commercial support fir software based ohh OH or parts of OH. If they were confident in their choice of using OH commercially they would not be here asking for advice.

@Bruce_Osborne there is no company out who will give me an openhab maintenance contract where e.g. a bug or security breach will be fixed in 24hrs - for all bindings, persistence, whatever. If there is a company who is doing this, they lie and are not able to do this. That’s what I mean.

However, also if our opinions may differ here, I would like to stop the discussion about OH > maintenance > commercial use etc :slight_smile:

Well WPA2 has been broken already and WPA3 is hardly available so I’d rather expect this to be a weakness for years to come.
But a wired IP device ain’t no better. Remember it’s sufficient to find ONE weak entry point for a botnet to start spreading inside your (W)LAN. WiFi security will not help you there as the compromised hop is authorized in terms of WiFi.

I don’t know how you come to believe that. The de facto bit rate is faster, and (transport) processing is done in hardware so hardly a limiting factor. Yes it isn’t instantaneous but KNX isn’t either.
When it’s slow most of the time it’s really about a mesh with suboptimum routes .

Yeah I know once bitten twice shy that’s ok I don’t want to convince you but your pov really doesn’t reflect the technical state of the nation.

My statement was of generic nature Homematic IP means it has an IP address hence like WiFi it’s exposed to the inet in the first place as opposed to KNX, ZWave and ZigBee.
(oh, and as you’re apparently keen on commercial support: that’s de facto non-existent with HM).

Also the most secure versions of WPA3 are optional fir certification so will likely only be supported in a few high end enterprise products.

I do only use 24V everywhere.
But if the DMX Dimmer supports 220-240V and the GU10 LED is dimmable, I do not see why this should not be possible.

Yes, you need this Software. Lite Version is available for about 160€.
I bought it by myself, and also did the programming, but I would not call this software self explaining. :blush:

Ouch, no. Don’t start messing with LEDs, dimming and HV. Very common yes but silly, bad HW design.
(That’s also why you don’t find a product).
Any LED is natively dimmable but only when it’s PWM controlled, and that requires DC. So any PWM dimmer is low voltage (12 or 24VDC).
But any “dimmable” HV (230VAC) LED has “dimmer” electronics built into each bulb (!) to convert 230VAC into DC with a voltage depending on dim level.

Yes you can build it, and many did before you, but it’s expensive, waste of ressources and has a number of problems (inability to dim in the lower range, humming noise, non-linear behavior etc). Or silly for short.

@mstormi yes I’m aware of those issues. The problem is, that I got involed too late and the electrician seems to be not “the brightest bulb on earth” :wink: he doesn’t see any issues with gu10 led why it got planned like it is now and, I need to find out, but it might be the the leds and lamps are already ordered…

so it might be that we cant change the design of light. Am I right that I don’t find any dmx dimm actor which can solve the HV led thing?

Very unlikely it exists. And even if so, don’t throw good money after bad one.
Make him correct his error.

PS I also have this working in some places but only because lamps/bulbs were already present.

There are literally hundreds of DMX dimmers that operate at mains voltage.

The real issue is that not all “Mains replacement” LED lamps are born the same.

Some work better with leading edge dimmers, others better with trailing edge.

The very best LED dimming happens at a pure PWM DC level.