Wifi configuration Raspi 2b with USB-Wifi-Stick

NOOBS just provides an easy way of installing Raspbian which would your card. You can backup your openHAB configuration and copy it off the card first.
To install Raspbian it may be best to follow the official steps here.
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up

Adding a WiFi USB stick (to a RPi2) is not supported in openHABian.
It is something completely different that to use builtin WiFi in RPi3/4 if you try looking at it from the ‘vendor’ perspective (= openHABian developers).
Yes you can get it to work (my openHABian dev box in fact is right the same a RPi2 w/ USB Wifi).
But there’s many options and variations on HW, drivers, config options etc, far too many to actively support. Builtin WiFi on RPi3/4 is way simpler because it’s a SINGLE hardware, SINGLE driver, ONE config set and so on.
So if you want to get your stick running you have to do that on your own, as Bruce recommended go visit a RPi forum for help.

Duh, what sort of reasoning is THAT?
Wired connections are ALWAYS better than wireless, so if you have that already you don’t need WiFi.

1 Like

I missed that part. you are correct. Until yesterday, I had never connected my Pi 3 to Wi-Fi but used Ethernet. I am testing its Wi-Fi connectivity now for a completely different usage.

Later the raspi will be used in an environment where there is no ethernet connection available.

1 Like

Sorry.
Users asking for assistance here tend to give little or no information so we are used to needing to guess. Many times they do not make the best decision.

Sometimes these discussions in communitites are frustating. I just ask for help configuring the external usb wifi stick. I did not ask wether ethernet or wifi is the more stable connection.

Bruce, what was the information I forgot to mention about my problem? I am new here and I don‘t want to upset anyone here, so if I made a mistake, please tell me.

My biggest fear was that I did not searched carefully enough and missed a solution that was already documented.

Say what.
Have you ever considered how that looks like from the side of people spending their time to help you?

How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

I’d say you ignored at least #8 and #9

1 Like

#8 i missed the goal? my goal was to configure an external usb wifi stick

#9 i showed less effort? I searched a lot of entries in this community before I made my first post. what is your suggestion to me that I should do before posting?

Yes. of course. that is why I mentioned that my biggest fear was to search not carefully enough.

But do you understand that telling me that ethernet is more stable than wifi is not what I asked for?

But you ignored this error message.

Your system TOLD you to look elsewhere rather than try to make the openHABian image function.

No. It was to run in a WiFi-only environment. => XY problem

Emphasis is on show. We don’t know what you did or do in front of your computer to solve the problem yourself. When you don’t tell it is reasonable to assume “very little” or “nothing”.
Way too many people are too lazy to even read the docs (or error messages) and post straight away and don’t think about (or worse even, realize but don’t care about) wasting reader’s (potentially willing responder’s) time.

This is a misunderstanding: I did not ignore error messages. And I did not try to make the openHABian image function. After I read the message I looked for a way to configure it manually. My source were the posts in this community.

As I did not find a solution I asked for it here. Maybe this is also interesting for someone else not only me and this would extend the good documentation.

And in addition to that: In the documentation of the setup procedure one can read: “If you own a RPi3, RPi3+, RPi4, a RPi0W, a Pine A64, or a compatible Wi-Fi dongle you can set up and use openHABian purely via Wi-Fi”. As I use an original WiPi - USB dongle I assumed that there is a chance that this stick might be “compatible”.

What can be misunderstood about that ? RPI2 ain’t listed, and there is no such thing as an “original” WiFi dongle (= made by the Raspberry foundation).

1 Like

ok, Markus. Can you tell me what is a compatible WiFi dongle as mentioned in the documentation?

“Compatible” and “you can setup” refer to the RPi you use (model 2 in your case), not to “openHABian”.
Docs do not claim you can setup WiFi on all of these from within openHABian.
Your dongle probably is compatible, but you have to set it up on UNIX level yourself.

this is a quote from the openhabian setup documentation!

I know. And I just told you how to interpret it.

this discussion leads to nothing but frustration of all participants.

Markus, you are right. there was nothing to misunderstand and I was completly wrong.

Yes I know because I’m an openHABian developer. It possibly was even me to write that sentence.

Great then! (yes I also can be ironic).
For sure statements like that can be misunderstood. I’m happy to change it when you get me a non-misinterpretable alternative. That’s why I asked “what can be misunderstood about that?”.
But you didn’t answer, probably misinterpreting that to be a rhetoric question only.

1 Like

The error message said that the openHABian would not work for you, as documented. We went above and beyond to direct you toward a possible solution. In the time you have been bickering here you could have implemented the solution.

I agree. Perhaps a moderator should lock this thread.