Getting Started with OH3: rewriting the tutorial - 1. Introduction

FWIW, this is sort of how I think, too. Don’t want to overwhelm people at first.

Which is another general point I would like to stress. Let’s start simple. Well, as simple as possible. Give people some easy success initially, then expose more ideas as they dig deeper into it. Which will motivate them to continue. JMHO.

But main thing I wanted to share was about perhaps using draw.io (which now actually redirects to https://app.diagrams.net) in the event it is decided to do any simple diagrams (in general).

I searched for long time for some tool to draw little diagrams, flowcharts, etc… Never found one I liked. They were all awkward in one way or another. Some of you may also know I eschew proprietary solutions right out of the gate (draw.io is F/LOSS).

The platform is online, making collaboration easy. You can also install a “desktop” version.

All the basic symbols, lines, arrows you probably need are available right out of the box.

Finally, diagrams can be exported to XML files, which makes them super easy to store in a Git repository and store plain text changes to, send patches around, etc… so perfect for a big collaborative project like OpenHAB.

I have no affiliation to the project, just a happy user after searching very long time for such a tool. Overjoyed to finally find one where I can focus on organizing my thoughts / ideas, rather than learning the tool itself. Therefore it actually aids your creative process, instead of hindering it (well, at least for me). Anyway it’s online so you can try it super easily.

draw.io is already mandated by the openHAB maintainers to be used for all drawings and has been so since before OH v1.8.

Neat!

I see great minds think alike (even if I’m late to the party)! :smile:

Got it up and running in n Ubuntu VM.
I started with oh2 more than 6 months ago. I tot used to it. Now, looking at oh3… Was overwhelming …
Now reading your’getting started’’ is very welcome ! I Choosing a real world example with hue makes it better to understand.
Thanks!

I’ve found your documentation and it’s great!
Waiting for part 7 and … :slight_smile:
I could start with OH3, set some settings (language,location, metrics,…) Create model, add hue binding so I got things and items.
In OH2 you could add a location to a things (like living room, dining room…). And when you then clicked on “control” on the main openhab screen, the things were grouped per location.
in HO3 you can create a model, but I didn’t find yet, where it is used for.
Also created a small sitemap in OH3. Is nice, but, it wasn’t that difficult for me, since for OH2 I created that in a text file. I wished the sitemap would be more modern. Now, it’s more like an old fashioned html.
I also tried to create a simple rule and it worked. And I guess you can create moreless complicated rules. Although, the code that the “rule creator” makes, is “not my thing”. As I’m a programmer, I probably will create my rules by hand, in code, in Jython. That, I didn’t try yet.
What I also missed, is the “log viewer”… Maybe it’s somewhere, I didn’t find it yet
It’s a bit overwhelming, starting with OH3. I’m glad I know a bit about OH2.
I know, it’s still early, so things can only get better and better. But, it looks promising.
I hope it’s not too overwhelming for beginners…
Anyway, I’m very glad you are making an introduction. Thanks!

See HABot Walkthrough (1/n): Introduction and Installation for a start. I’m sure there is even more stuff. The great thing once you have a model is there are all sorts of ways you can use it.

That has never been part of openHAB itself. That log viewer is Frontail and openHABian comes with it installed and configured to follow openHAB’s logs. What I don’t know yet (haven’t had time to play with OH 3 yet) is whether there is a way to add Frontail to the new UI like you could add a new tile to the old dashboard.

didn’t find it. I’lhave to look further I guess

About the log viewer: I really need it. I hope something like that will be added…
thx!

If you use openHABian you’ve got it. If for some reason it didn’t get installed you can install it from openhabian-config.

If you are not using openHABian, which is almost certainly the case if you are playing with openHAB 3, you can install it yourself. GitHub - mthenw/frontail: 📝 streaming logs to the browser. Sponsored by https://cloudash.dev

1 Like

wow thx…
I’ll just installed it in ubunty on a virtual machine.
Are there already plans to create a openhabian image (for rpi?)

I can’t imagine there isn’t. OH 3 will eventually enter the snapshot build, move to testing and finally become the release version.

When will OH3 into test phase? I started to use it. Actually biggest problem I have to continue testing is with Zwave binding. I can’t add discovered items from inbox to things.Untitled-1.log (32.9 KB)

There is still a whole lot to be done. I don’t think anyone knows when.

apt/yum/dnf packaging is ready for when openHAB 3.x is green lit for alpha testing. I’ll post instructions on how to install it (as you can’t have openhab2 installed at the same time) nearer then.

1 Like

aha! would be very nice !

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I noticed the topic got closed and reopened it. As more of us get more experience with OH 3 and the new UI, I expect edits and the conversation to continue.

2 Likes

I’ve just tried out build #1928. Still I can’t use Zwave binding. It recognises my Aeotec Gen5 Stick but can’t add it as a bridge. If somebody is intresested I attache the log.openhab.log (187.6 KB)

The Z-Wave binding does not use bridges. There is a controller Thing though. Are you trying to configure it through the UI or with files?

Only with ui. Binding recognises it as a bridge and stops. There are corresponding java error messages in the file. I can set trace log level for the binding if it helps. I have windows10.