Windows10 Tablet as Server

Hi guys,

this is my first posting, so at first: thanks a lot for all the work that already has been done.

I will start with some testing on my normal notebook, but surely will switch to a dedicated “server” when I’m satisfied with the results.
I really like the HABpanel and read a lot about some examples from other users with Android Tablets as Clients.

What I surprisingly did NOT find was someone who used a Windows10 Tablet as Server AND Display for the HABpanel UI. Is there any reason for this?

might the following devices be used as openHAB Servers?

• Chuwi Hi10 Plus (Win10, Intel Atom x5, 4GB RAM, 10.8" 1920x1080, ~140 EUR)
  • Chuwi Surbook (Win10, Intel Celeron N3450, 6GB RAM, 12.3" 2736x1824, ~340 EUR)

I already use the following components (with the Xiaomi Software). As this will grow (with other brands, especially the MAX! thermostats) I would like to switch to openHAB first

• Xiaomi Gateway v3
  • Xiaomi Yeelight RGB Bulbs
  • Xiaomi Yeelight LED Strip
  • Xiaomi Switches
  • Xiaomi Human Body Sensors
  • Xiaomi Temperature and Humidity Sensors
  • Xiaomi WiFi Sockets
  • Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum Clear
  • Amazon Echo Dot

I don´t know if this is similar to sd-cards in a raspy, but how long will the nand of a tablet work, when you have a persistence logging on your internal memory?

Is there any problem?

Have you tried to run openhab on your tablet already? I think you can do it without problems. You can install java like you do on a notebook and so it should work.

You can look for tests of the cpu in your tablet and compare this with a cpu in a rasperry pi. So you can see if it will work faster/slower. Many peaople are running openhab on a rasperry without problems. If the tablet cpu is more powerfull, you will not get any speed-problems.

the widely used Atom x5 CPU’s are much faster than the Rasberry Pi3, not to mention an Celeron or even m3 CPU
also there is more RAM available

so spec-wise i am pretty sure this should be working and this was the reason why i am surprised that i found no example for using a Win10 Tablet as Server

If you can install it and make it run on the tablet there is no reason I know of that it shouldn’t work. The tablet will certainly be powerful enough to drive openHAB.

I suspect you don’t see many/any people going down this path is because:

• compared to almost any other approach this one is a particularly expensive
  • If users will be using a tablet based UI, they will have more than one tablet
  • most rely upon at least one USB dongle, sometimes more, which is awkward to use with a tablet and unattractive to have plugged into your main display
  • those USB dongles often need to be placed in a different location than your UI tablet for optimum wireless coverage/range