Wired hardware components for smart radiators

@mstormi
I see, so then B it is for me. Thanks for the advice! Then my next step is to figure out how I will wire it up, i.e., where to place my OH central unit and how to connect the actuators, temperature sensors and per-room input units (if I decide to have such).

The reason why I was thinking about Arduino is that I thought of having a unit consisting of

1. Arduino
  2. suitable temperature sensor (as suggested by Confused)
  3. rotary encoder / buttons for setpoint input
  4. LCD for local setpoint / current temperature display
  5. 230V relay (or optocoupler / triac combo) switch for valve actuators
  6. ethernet shield

in every room which has radiators (there are 3 such rooms), since each of these rooms has ethernet plugs anyway, and so it seemed the easiest way how to connect to the OH central unit in a different room. Of course, for a simple setup and testing I can start with just a temperature sensor and valve actuator connected directly to OH in one room, and then decide how to extend from there.

Hi @xenos, I recommend the Tado system.

It is wireless, and it does use batteries. I have five of these Thermostatic valves in my house. They provide actual temperature and actual humidity measurement, as well as target temperature control, with time schedule, and home/away function.

They have their own very nice app, and they also integrate very nicely in OpenHAB.

I have personally worked on the OH binding to add channels for battery low alarm monitoring, and open window detection.

The batteries are two AA cells, and in my house they last about one year.

Apparently you missed the point that I am not using wireless control / wifi or batteries, and so this does not match my requirements at all.

After some research I came up with the following per-room solution that should satisfy my requirements:

• Arduino Uno or Mega (work better with ethernet than Nano)
  • Arduino power supply
  • ethernet shield for Arduino (or use Arduino with integrated ethernet)
  • DHT11 or DHT22 temperature + humidity sensor (has better resolution)
  • solid state relay with 5V control input and capable of switching 230V~ (Omron or similar)
  • radiator actuator (one per radiator)
  • 16 * 2 character I2C LCD display to show current temperature / humidity + setpoint
  • rotary encoder or buttons to set temperature locally

All of this hardware should fit into a small case used for electric installation (except radiator actuators).

Software:

• local temperature regulation
  • publish temperature, humidity, setpoint via MQTT
  • listen to MQTT to change setpoint remotely (possibly with timer) via OpenHAB

No I did not miss your point. Why do you think that I specifically mentioned that in my post?

With that attitude, I wonder why you post it at all :roll_eyes: Also I wouldn’t call it an “intelligent suggestion” to recommend a wireless system in a topic that is specifically about wired components, and even says so in the title, instead of posting it somewhere where it is more likely to be found by readers who do use wireless systems and might be interested in your solution (even if you don’t care).

Sorry.