[withings] reimplementation as a openHAB2 binding

Nice to see some many Withings owners looking forward to support in OH2. If you would, please make a donation via BountySource to support the person making this work. The link is on the BountySource badge at the top of the GitHub issue. So far we have two backers.

Here is actually my experimental branch…

I am just about to finish migrating my pushbullet binding to the new build system and openHAB2. Then would continue (or actually “really start”) with the withings binding…

3 Likes

Thanks for your work! I’m waiting for it.

Any progress on this?

Not really, I am still stuck on real-live events keeping me from coding for hobby purposes…

I want to have the pushbullet binding sending messages, and start with the withings one after that. But cannot give any estimate as to the time schedule :frowning:

Do you have an issue on where you are stuck with Push Bullet? Perhaps I can help there. It greatly matter which minor version of Python you use with PB.

Actually, it is just finding time to clean up the code and write a proper README. Whenever I find a few free hours, the pull request should be ready to go.

And the binding is not written in python but properly in java. I migrated my binding from openHAB1, so it actually is all the issues with new architecture, new build system, yadda yadda yadda.

1 Like

No problems. I didn’t want to push you I just wanted to ask maybe you have made progress, but we didn’t knew about it.
Thanks for your work!

Slightly better news, the pushbullet binding is “finished” and working on my machine.

I’ll let it running on my home installation for a few hours more, to make sure that the integration with rules is working, and maybe improve the README a bit:

Then, it should be good to go, and I can finally re-start working on withings :grinning:

That was fast and this is great to hear :slight_smile: As I saw earlier you started something regarding the implementation of the OH2 binding… hope you can get this working as well!

Any news on this? I saw that the pushbullet is complete/merged :slight_smile:

That, it is :smile:

I’m always trying to make time to really start on the withings binding. “Sadly”, there is always one more thing that needs to be done before I can start hacking on my hobby projects :grin:

But actually, I started rewriting everything once again so it conforms to the new build process, and also had a short discussion with the core developers about how we should model the responses coming from withings server. So, progress is being made, only much slower than I would like it to be.

@hakan did you had time to make any move towards a binding? :slight_smile:

1 Like

To summarize my experience with withings binding and their support - totally disappointed. Look like the API access is available just because it’s supposed to exist, but not because they really want to provide such.

Yes it is not so great…

I was hoping so much to see progress with this. Is there any way we could help to get things a step further?
Thanks in advance for an update

Just checking in to see if anything has changed :slight_smile:

Is there any way (now IFTTT has been closed for openhab) to get the data from withings into openhab? via 3rd party syncing, wifi requests, anything at all, I don’t need it to be pretty :slight_smile: Just need those motivational grafana plots.

Count me in as one interested in a withings binding. I got the scale and have blood preassure arriving soon. Having a nice Grafana overview in my sitemap would be great (no plans yet to lock my fridge over a specific weight cireria :p)

NoTechi

Is there any way to assist?
I´ve never developed anything for openhab, but Java in general should be no problem :slight_smile:

Hi @aingidh,

i think the issue with withings its not a technical one from my perspective.
Documentation of the new oauth2-API looks good on the first view Withings developer documentation

So i thought its a good idea to start somehow…but the hole process to register to the API doesnt scale well for a opensource-binding.
There is not a real registration…there is only a way to apply a organisation to a developer-partner-program with a lots of restrictions…i was instantly demotivated.

Sure, every user of a binding can fake a company and hope, to survive the (manual?) process…but i think its better to communicate first with withings, how the process should look like, before we invest time in a (later) unusable binding.

I think, this could someone do without implementation-skills.