WLed: A binding for controlling LED strips and strings from an opensource esp8266 project

This is already reported here, @Zylan a fix has been found, and PR made.

I also plan to add support so you can ask for the name of the preset instead of only the number that is inside the array of the JSON.

You can get the presets by entering this into any web browser http://ipofwled/presets.json

1 Like

Hello,

Iā€™m making the transition from using a custom mqtt object that send comment directly to the api to this binding. So far so good but the only thing I didnā€™t quite grasp (and the doc in openhab wiki for the binding isnā€™t up to date) is how to save a preset? I currently have a node-red rules (migrating to openhab rules) that check if itā€™s running the default preset and save the current settings in a temp present if itā€™s not. I have the preset check part done, but I canā€™t get the save preset to work.

Thank you

edit: nevermind, stupid me was using the channel with the wrong name

In what area does it need updating?

Hi,

first of all thanks for this nice binding :partying_face:

thereā€™s only one thing thatā€™s driving me madā€¦ when I turn off a wled device via the binding ( masterControls channel), itā€™s not turning off the device, but the segment.

when I want to control the device via wled app afterwards, the power button does nothing until I toggle the segment power on. Is there a chance to change that, or is the main power switch not available via api?

Iā€™m using WLED_0.14.0-b4 and openHAB 3.4.2 Release Build

:confounded: Iā€™m not using segments at allā€¦ took me days to find the cause of the problem, first I thought the binding locks the power button in a strange way, until I found the ā€œsegment powerā€ button in the wled appā€¦

cheers,
Dan

Edit:
seems like itā€™s available via API v0.3
HTTP Command: &T=
Options: 0, 1, or 2
Controls: Master Off/On/Toggle

Thanks for posting, I believe it is easy to solve this so if you can consider how to word the documentation in a way that makes it more clear then please make a suggestion or contribution.

The globalBrightness channel is what your after, see here

Openhab has the ability to create Equipment groups so that if you wish you can use the global control instead of a segment control for on and off. Just a matter of how you set up the things items and groups to describe the device in the model.

1 Like

thanks for your reply!

hmā€¦
maybe I donā€™t exactly get what you mean, but the problem for me is, when switching off via the masterControls channel it only turns off the segment, but not the device??

With your workaround/solution via globalBrightness channel I would have to add a second control Item to my MainUI what Iā€™m trying to avoid.

Please explain exactly how you mean this would change the behavior of the masterControls channel.
Sorry to bother you, but I really donā€™t get it.

The binding has to be written so that it can handle advanced users that do take advantage of SEGMENTS. Segments are simply a way to split up a single LED string/strip into separate ā€œlight globesā€. An example is if you run a single strip around the four sides of a room, you can then control each walls lights as a separate light or all four sides of the room as a whole. Sadly when you create a flexible system, you do get complexity. If there is a better way or something that can be done to make it easier and quicker to grasp then feel free to make a suggestion.

Please open your own thread and ask everyone in a more generic way how they would handle this, and give more details on what your wanting to do. Is it for voice control from a google home or alexa product, or is it for seeing controls grouped together in the mainUI? I do not have the time to provide support so do not ask me here, use the entire community to help get a response. Open new threads and donā€™t post in a mega thread as you will get multiple peopleā€™s help and multiple ideas. This is not you ā€˜bothering meā€™ so please take it in the positive way that I mean the above to sound.

1 Like

I agree with you, but what is the downside of controlling the device and not the segments with the masterControls, the main switch would also switch off the segments, so why is it not working like in the WLED control app? In other words, in OH Iā€™m using a color-item (HSB control + Switch) to control my LED strip, but why does the switch have to control the segment-power instead of just turning ON/OFF the whole device? The ability to control single segments is covered by the binding anyway, so I donā€™t understand why it has to be that wayā€¦ would be much easier if both (binding & wled app) would do the same to avoid inconsistency when controlling the strip(s)/segments.

The only problem is, when switching off via openhab, the mainswitch in the WLED app is out of function.

I think this is not really neccessary because this would lead to some kind of workaround, in my eyes it would be much simpler to change some mappings in the binding itself??

Sorry but I hope you get my way of thinking about this issueā€¦

Because it is a segment thing your using the channels for. The thing is literally called a SEGMENT thing and you specify which segment number the thing will control, for it to behave otherwise would not be consistent. You can use the BRIDGE things channel as mentioned to control the main power and brightness of the entire device. The globalBrightness channel should do what you want from memory, have you tried it? does it not do what your after? if not why? I really do not understand what the issue is.

I disagree, it is more consistent with how multiple light bulbs in a Pendant Light or Chandelier may work. Describing and controlling multiple lights as a single group is common and I do not see it as a work around.

If your wanting the bridge thing to gain a new channel that acts like the masterControls channel, then that is a different subject to discussing changing how an existing channel works. I also have not tried the newer firmwares of WLED so it is also possible your having an issue that I have not seen before, this is why it is important for you to describe your situation more clearly and in its own new thread.

1 Like

Ok, now I understand the problem, sorry!

The only downside of using the globalBrightness on an item is I have an additional switch/dimmer in MainUI and the switch of my color-item would not be affected by that solutionā€¦ but it seems I have to go this way and find a way to make a custom widget for that purpose, which supports both channels in one line.

Thatā€™s what I was afterā€¦ but I havenā€™t realized that the masterControls channel is a segment channel, my fault! but this would be a very nice feature, if the Bridge would have a masterControls channel too.

Sorryā€¦ And thanks for your explanations and the time youā€™ve spent on my confusion!

You can use groups to send the same command to two items from the one control.

From memory it was not so easy to add colour changes for all segments. To do that I think it was to look up how many segments there were, and then do a loop over all the segments. Unless there is a way in the API to do it directly. The number of segments can change at any time when presets are loaded.

1 Like