WLed: A binding for controlling LED strips and strings from an opensource esp8266 project

I seem to be missing something here its using the latest wled firmware the top if from setting the colour from the android app which works he lower from plugin

do I need a transformation of some kind ?

thanks

Arden

no transforms nor maps needed, the binding does it all, just see the readme file.

seem the plugin isn’t compatible with the version 9 firmware

have flashed 8.5 and working.

edit

seems if you add using a 8.5 them upgrade to 9 it works but direct to 9 doesn’t confirmed with 2 esp8266

Binding works great,good job! Is it possible to control the second color?

Interesting, did you happen to get any MQTT dumps of when it was not working compared to working? It would be good to report this to the firmwares issue list at GitHub if you can explain what caused it to not work.

FYI, I installed 0.8.6 on a brand new D1 mini clone and it worked, then I upgraded to 0.90-b1 and it works still just with the main difference being the FX list is different between the two versions. I would use the 0.90-b1 because the UI is completely different and no point learning an old UI.

It is possible for sure, it is just a matter of…

1. Will it be used enough to make the time investment worth while? PR is welcome :wink:
  2. In the future there is talk of changing the MQTT topic structure meaning some work will need to be redone in the binding when the change is made. I only see it as a 1-2 hour job to change over which is why I did not hold off on making the binding as I wanted it for Christmas. I would rather keep features low at the moment until the change is made.
  3. There is now 3 colours you can pick in 0.90-b1 not just two and very few FX use them. See point 1.

You can always setup a PRESET with the colours you like and use openhab to recall the preset via the binding. Have not tried it but that should present a work around.

Also don’t forget you can always use a WEBVIEW element to display the controls/webpage directly from the esp8266.

HELLO

Is there a way to make the wled works like a touch dimmer? I build my kitchin lights whit w2812b strips and I wood like too be able to make it work whit short press to turn on and off and long press to make it dim up and down like a touch dimmer.

You should search the forum and then post in your own thread. That is an openhab framework question, not a question about this binding so you are less likely to get an answer here. I would be surprised if
The answer was not
Already in another thread.

2 Likes

Thank You for the efforts in creating the binding! Did look very promising for me … until I realized I need segments support and they are not covered by WLED’s MQTT yet :frowning:
Could not await even knowing it’s been working upon, so went ahead and created a openhab rule doing json api posts to wled. Still using the binding for central OFF and FX selection!

Or youtube link https://youtu.be/gyBmoOAky-U

WLED 0.9 on esp32;
ws2812 strip in 4 segments;
svg floorplan in openhab template widget.

2 Likes

I updated to Openhab 2.5.0 stable and now i cant install the Binding anymore. The Log says

2020-01-23 16:26:48.381 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.wled-2.5.0.jar

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.wled [277]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3; version="[1.2.0,2.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

Does the binding not work with the MQTT Version of Openhab 2.5.0?

It works fine here on 2.5 stable but I recognise that error as it means the cache is not created, restart openhab a few times and it t will go away.

Make sure you have the Paho jar in addons as well.

Ok i have now installed the Paho jar und now it works. But why? With 2.5.0 M3 i didnt have to do that

You probably had another binding that had the paho in it and now you don’t.

Hi Matt,

i just created an issue on github, i am unable to install the binding.

If you can give me any clue, that would be great.

Cheers

Andreas

You do not install the binding you just drop the jar files into the addons folder and reboot 2-3 times and it will show up as already installed.

1 Like

Hi, would be great to get some insights of your rules. I want to realize almost the same with WLED for my daughter.

Have you figured it out, @Mat03? I was away, did not notice your ask. I know my code is pretty dirty​:flushed:, but would be an excuse to clean it up a little bit :wink:

Thanks for the binding!
I’m a right that there is no subscribing for changes from WLED side? Or I missed to configure something?

For example, my WLED strip can be enabled directly from esp controller, but openhab does not see any changes (on/off, brightness, color, etc).

The binding should pick up changes made in the app if the state changes get published to mqtt. Fx and palettes usually wait until theyanorher control is moved if the auto cycle mode is selected.

Try a few reboots first but they were planning on changing the mqtt topic structure in a newer firmware so if that has happened u will need to go back to older firmware until the binding is updated to suit.

What firmware are u using?

Here is a video about using Openhab and WLED.
Two configuration methods, with binding and without binding.

1 Like

New build 2020-03-16 has these changes:

• New FX from Firmware 0.9.1 added.
  • Now syncs to colour changes made in app.

@marsic
Cool video, thanks for sharing and creating. One thing I suspect you will notice between the two methods is that the binding presents a single coloured light to Google home devices and will give better voice control and easier setup. I am toying with the idea of adding a user changeable config option at will auto select SOLID fx when you change colour, so that it just works when you ask google to change to a set colour.