Yamaha RX-V479: Can't set straight surround program

I found that i can change the surround program for all options except “Straight”.

I added tPacketCapture to my android tablet and used the Yamaha AV controller to capture the request that is sent when Straight is selected and i found that its is a bit different than the format used to set a surround program:

This is what is sent when you choose Straight:

The method to set the surround program would not work in this case since “Straight” is not a name, but instead an element:

public void setSurroundProgram(Zone zone, String name) throws IOException {
    postAndGetResponse("<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?><YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><" + zone
            + "><Surround><Program_Sel><Current><Sound_Program>" + name
            + "</Sound_Program></Current></Program_Sel></Surround></" + zone + "></YAMAHA_AV>");
}

I was thinking i could help modify the Yamaha Binding to support this since it doesnt look like it currently does. But i wanted to check with the community to see if others are seeing the same thing. I dont know if its just with the RX-V479?

Hello Scott,

Same issue over here with a Yamaha Rxv773, since I don’t have a clue how to “fix” the binding, I’m really interested to make it work. Could you please give more detailed instructions?

Thanks a lot!

F.

Hey Fabio,

I never heard back from anyone so i just modified my version of the Yamaha binding and added my version of the jar to the addons directory.

I modified the setSurroundProgram() method in YamahaReceiverProxy to this:

public void setSurroundProgram(Zone zone, String name) throws IOException {
    if (name.toLowerCase().equals("straight")) {
        postAndGetResponse("<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?><YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><" + zone
                + "><Surround><Program_Sel><Current><Straight>On</Straight></Current></Program_Sel></Surround></" + zone + "></YAMAHA_AV>");
    } else {
                + "><Surround><Program_Sel><Current><Sound_Program>" + name
                + "</Sound_Program></Current></Program_Sel></Surround></" + zone + "></YAMAHA_AV>");
    }
}

Im not sure it will be the case for all Yamaha models, but it sounds like you might have the same problem i had. If you want i can provide the jar, just let me know.

Hello Scott,

That would be great, thank you!

F.

Ok no problem,

You can download the jar from here

Let me know how it works out for you.

-S

Hello Scott,

Yes! It works like a charm.

Thank you very much!

F.

Thats great to hear. Enjoy!

Hey all,

I will include the change in the next version of the binding then. This forum post seems to have slipped through.

Thanks,
David

Great, thanks David