Z-Wave binding configuration in .things files

I’ve finally taken the step to move from my vera edge to a pure openHAB 3.0 installation with the Z-Wave binding.

I’ve setup all my things in .things files and everything seems to work so far. :slight_smile:

For some of my dimmers, the devices react quite slowly and I’d like to adjust the Command Poll Period from 1500ms to 4000ms. I’ve tested that in the main UI.

I understand from various threads, that it’s not possible to configure device config parameters in .things files, but I was wondering is you can specify somehow the command poll period, since that’s kind of independent of the device type. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Rene

It is not recommended to set up .things files because it is too easy to cause issues. Using the UI for setting up Things insures the syntax is exactly correct. The majority of people here using text files still set up Things through the UI.

That’s kind of what I’ve done. I’ve created a thing in the UI, then made sure I got the correct thing type etc. and created a .thing file. All the basic Z-Wave bits are working fine with the thing file.

What I’m not sure of is how to set the command polling time in a thing file, because as soon as I define a Z-Wave thing in a file, the UI becomes read-only.

That is because it can then only be edited through the file.

Does that mean, there is no way of configuring the command polling time (binding_cmdrepollperiod) in text files?

My thing file looks like this:

Bridge zwave:serial_zstick:6c8a060579 "ZWave Controller" [ port="/dev/zwave", controller_softreset="false", controller_master="true", heal_enable="true", security_networkkey="xxx" ]
{
  qubino_zmnhhd_00_000 DR_1 "Dining Room Dimmer"  [ node_id=10 ]	
}

The code block of the same in the UI looks like this:

UID: zwave:device:6c8a060579:node10
label: DR_1
thingTypeUID: zwave:qubino_zmnhhd_00_000
configuration:
  config_30_1: 0
  config_74_1: 10
  binding_cmdrepollperiod: 4000
  config_72_1: 1
  config_73_1: 0
  config_70_2: 200
  config_71_1: 0
  group_4: []
  group_1: controller
  group_3: []
  group_2: []
  config_12_2: 0
  config_11_2: 0
  config_65_1: 1
  config_21_1: 0
  config_42_2: 0
  config_61_1: 99
  config_40_1: 10
  config_60_1: 0
  config_1_1: 1
  config_5_1: 0
  config_66_2: 3
  config_67_1: 0
  node_id: 10
  config_68_1: 0
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:6c8a060579

Very likely not. I am not a Java programmer so looking at the code would tell me nothing.

Probably there is, but it is much more efficient to use the GUI, especially since the MainUI replaced PaperUI.

I tried manual things files a long time ago, maybe you are able to find the correct syntax through trial and error:

So not withstanding everything that @sihui and @Bruce_Osborne have said about the issues around using file configuration (which I completely agree with), to answer your question -:

You should be able to configure binding configuration in the things file - just the same as other configuration (eg you have node_id=10).

2 Likes