Z-Wave Binding: Fibaro Walli Dimmer without Channels

Hello everyone,

I need some ideas, what I still can try.
I have a Fibaro Walli Dimmer. 2-3 years ago, I integrated this device into my network, but learned that I needed a switch, where I bought the dimmer for. I did not exclude the device before taking it back to my stash (unpowered for years now) and tried to delete it from openhab, which never worked good and in the end I had a unknown, dead device in my thing list.
Now I found a new use for it, powered the device again and did not have to include it after it still counted as included. After some restarts and healings, it went from an unknown device to the Fibaro Walli Dimmer device and I successfully was able to break an association, which was set 2-3 years ago and also succesfully changed parameters. What still is missing are the channels. Message shown there is “This thing has no channels. Either the thing type doesn’t define channels, or they may be detected and appear later.”
I tried to exclude the device to set everything new, I tried so set the device as a failure, I tried to heal it and I waited a complete night, if it magically heal itself.
Excluding also does not work or I make some mistake. I go in exclusion mode at the controller thing and then press the button 3 times until the led frame is blinking yellow. It then should go red to show that exclusion was succesful, but it is showing green, which states that it is included.

In debug mode, I can see that the device is sending correctly.
07:28:02.328 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - lastTransaction null
07:28:02.333 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 9: Application Command Request (ALIVE:SUC_ROUTE)
07:28:02.349 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 9: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL, endpoint 0
07:28:02.355 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 9: SECURITY NOT required on COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
07:28:02.365 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 9: Received COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL V3 SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_REPORT
07:28:02.371 [DEBUG] [ass.ZWaveMultiLevelSwitchCommandClass] - NODE 9: Switch Multi Level report, value = 99
07:28:02.398 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
07:28:02.409 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL, value=99
07:28:02.416 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 9: Commands processed 1.
07:28:02.436 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 9: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@8a625e.
07:28:02.442 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
07:28:02.452 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
07:28:02.457 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - ZWaveReceiveThread queue empty

After a restart of openhab, the device shows all 5 lines, when I press “heal the device”, the Reinitialise line is missing, so healing don’t seem to be succesful.

I use a Aeotec 5 Z-Wave-Stick on a Raspberry 3 with openhab 3.4, it was openhab 2.something (probably 4) when I had the device online the last time.

Any ideas what I can try?
Last option would be to set the device back to 0 without excluding it and having a dead thing in openhab forever, but I hope to get other ideas here.

This sounds about right to exclude. Maybe turn zwave binding to debug during exclusion protocol to see why it is not working. Factory reset of the device could be an option but then you will need to use the Silabs tools (PC controller) to get node off your zstick)
Z-Wave Zombies.pdf (571.9 KB)

Separately what is the Device TYpe:ID pair on the device UI page? Compare with what I think your device is in the zwave DB

Hello Bob,
thank you for your answer.
I logged another try for exclusion.
openhab_Exclude_short.log (45.1 KB)

What I assume is that controller is going into exclusion mode correctly, but Node 9, which is the device, does not do anything to exclude itself, although the blinking of the leds does everything correctly (blinking yellow) until it is getting green (inclusion ok) instead of going red (exclusion finished).

Device Type:ID is: “thingTypeUID: zwave:fibaro_fgwdeu111_00_000” and is the same as my other Fibaro Walli Dimmers in the network (and fitting to the fgwdeu111 from the zwave DB). So this seems to be ok.

Any ideas what I can try?

I’m assuming you are clicking a button three times quickly?

The only thing I see in the log is that another controller command (AssignSucReturnRoute) is sent 14 seconds after the exclude command to node 26. That might stop the exclude command from completing. Exclude is only active for 30 seconds anyway. How long does it take to get to the device after putting the controller in “exclude device” mode?

I also see the same problem as in your other thread (Steinel) with AssignSucReturnRoute. Did you disable the Heal? My only thought is to disable the heal until all your devices have the five lines. Then after a day or two (or three) try exclusion again.

yes, I am clicking a button three times quickly and then the yellow light starts blinking.

I did the test with my laptop directly at the device, started exclusion and directly pushed the button, I assume that the node 26 command was after starting the exclusion at the device.

I stopped healing now and will try it again, when I have all 5 lines at all things. Thank you for the hint.

So, a lot of time passed.
Healing was stopped, 8 days of waiting did not bring the 5 lines back. A restart did after 3 additional days. So I now have all 5 lines there and no missed healing.
With that new configuration and my next try I got the following logfile.
openhab_exclude (2).log (47.7 KB)
What I did: I took my laptop directly to the device, started the exclusion at the controller thing, waited 3 sec, pressed the button three times, it blinked yellow for quite a while and then went green to state that the inclusion was succesful (it should go red for exclusion succesful). After that I tried “Exclude Device from controller” but nothing changed.
I see that a message is going to time out but I lack the experience, if that is the reason for exclusion to stop, and if yes, why it is doing that.
@Bob: May I kindly ask you to have another look at my logfile if it is improved now? As far as I can see it, it differs from the old ones during exclusion.

I assume we are still taking about Node 9. It does look like one exclusion try by setting the controller UI page to “Exclude devices”, but nothing seemed to happen for 30 seconds (the length of the time the controller is in exclusion). Then it looked like you tried to “remove device from controller” on UI page for the node. That will not work in your case as the device does seem to be sending messages.

I’d try the controller “Exclude Devices” a couple of times more (maybe try 4 quick presses?) and forget about anything on the Node 9 UI page. The other options would be to try to factory reset the device or sign up and use the Silabs PC Controller to remove the device