Z-WAVE Binding not working with razberry

Im trying to get my razberry transmitter running for days now and im still unable to solve the problem eighter determine what exactly goes wrong.

Used transmitter => smaller razberry released before razberry2

I did a setup with the z-way image months ago and everything is working fine (SD 4GB) so transmitter and rest of hardware is OK.

A few days ago i wanted to try this awesome openhab project and did setup the image from github on a pi3 (SD 32GB).

I did following steps:
1.) Used Etcher to flash the SD with the Image from GitHub
2.) Put SD inside pi3, connectet to internet and power up, waited for installation to finish
3.) openhabian-config -> serial -> checked all 3 items
4.) Checked files for applied config values as described in some threads (everthing seems to be ok)
5.) Reboot
6.) Installed z-wave binding extension from paper-ui
7.) Added Thing z-wave binding
8.) Entered /dev/ttyAMA0 at the Serial Port field and applied

After that i get this:
Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyAMA0 does not exist

9.) Tried with the second port suggested from config gui and so entered /dev/ttyS0 at the Serial Port field and applied

After that i get this :
Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyS0 does not exist

So i tried to play around with a second pi a pi2 with a fresh openhab github image flashed on another SD.
At openhabian-config serial I checked only the 1st and 3rd item (the 2nd seems to be just for the pi3).

Again tried both ports without success. I think i have flashed and did the setup now 5 times and im realy fustrated now.

Can anybody help. What i can do for better diagnostics or debug informations. I do not know why openhab is unable to talk with this transmitter.

If i mount the 4GB SD with the z-way image. Everything is still working fine. But i want to get openhabian running on the my pi. I would be very grateful for any help on that.

Hi. I have done almost the same setup. but in addition you could try this :
create a file : /etc/udev/rules.d/09-tty.rules

KERNEL=="ttyAMA0", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB20"

doing a ls -la /dev/ttyAMA0 gives me user root, and group uucp.

crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 204, 64 Apr  3 20:51 /dev/ttyAMA0

I have added the group “uucp” to the user “openhab” which I use for running openhab.

In /boot/config.txt add the line :

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

Adding the Zwave thing in paperui/habmin with: /dev/ttyUSB20

Also remove references to ttyAMA0 in /boot/cmdline.txt

Hope any of this may help you !

Br
Torstein

Thx for your suggestions torstein. Awesome to get a reply after a few minutes i opened this thread.

Here we go. I created this rule file, I changed that line in /boot/config.txt from “dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt” to “dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt”. I aslo checked references in /boot/cmdline.txt but there are not such refs, did a reboot and changed to /dev/ttyUSB20 at paper ui.

But still not working :frowning:

Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyUSB20 does not exist

after a while i got uninitialized. But same as before.

The one and only thing we do not compare is that uucp group thing because i get the following

crw–w---- 1 root tty 204, 64 Apr 3 21:54 /dev/ttyAMA0

After a few minutes more and trial and error more and more szenarios i got it.
I had to remove the folowing from /boot/cmdline.txt console=serial0,115200 as described in another thread.

It seems this is the one and only broken thing why i was not able to get the razberry running. maybe this should be done by openhabian-config -> serial ?!?

On paper ui i still have /dev/ttyAMA0 entered and it is working now :joy:.

Hi

Try adding the group “tty” to the user you re running openhab2 with …
Remember that you need to re-login (or reboot) after giving the user additional groups…

br
Torstein

Thx torstein for your reply. From the github image the user openhab is running openhab2 i think and this user is added to group tty after you execute openhabian-config -> serial. So for my setup this was done already.

You can see the solution above. It was a entry in the boot/cmdline.txt like you suggested before but the serial0 reference.

THX

Great !! :smiley:

Great, thanks for the solution. I had to remove “console=tty1” in the /boot/cmdline.txt file. Made a summary here: How I got the Razberry 2 to work on a Raspberry 3 b+