Z-Wave Bridge Offline / Error: Bridge

I just noticed in lsusb that this stick reports itself as:

Bus 005 Device 080: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc. Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090) - UZB

So this may help me too. Sadly. I do not have a usb2 hub. Did you use a powered usb2 hub?

I tried using a powered USB2 hub I found in my old parts box. It does not seem to help :frowning:

I tried adding those settings, no effect. It seems to me those only matter after the bridge is operational.

It is possible to add a secondary controller after adding the bridge controller and it seems you are kind of in that scenario. Donā€™t know how, except after many retries maybe something got stuck. In the USERDATA/Zwave folder do you have a Node1 XML (or any XML files)? Is the UID the same as the latest controller your have created? If no (see below) If yes, Possibly deleting the controller, uninstalling the zwave binding, deleting the XML file, stopping OH,

openhab-cli clear-cache

Restart OH, add binding go to inbox, use zwave binding and use the add Bridge.

So basically start over.

Also note you can set the UID at this point. One time I messed up I had all my node XML files under one UID, so when I recreated the controller (that I had mistakenly deleted) I changed the default UID to the one in the XML files and everything came back without having to recreate everything

2 Likes

I think I am in a scenario where the bridge has never successfully started up and it simply hasnā€™t set up those settings yet.

I have no other bridge and there isnā€™t an actual z-wave network in my house yet.

I have checked the userdata directory and there are no zwave xml files.
The only files with zwave in the name are:

./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/3.0.2
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/3.0.2/org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.0.2.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/3.0.2/org.openhab.binding.zwave-3.0.2.jar.sha1

I have:

• Stopped openhab
  • openhab-cli clean-cache
  • started openhab (takes forever :slight_smile: )
  • waited until it all started up succesfully
  • added Z-Wave binding
  • added bridge

No change.

Perhaps I should give up on this z-wave controller and order a new one.

https://smile.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B00YETCNOE/

I have downloaded the UZB firmware update tool from UZB/RaZberry Firmwares ā€“ Z-Wave.Me

You can use this tool to read information from the controller:

# ./ZMESerialUpdater serialapi_uzbupdate -d /dev/ttyACM0

Z-WAVE Serial API Tool
					     Version:LWE0.9
					     by Z-WAVE>ME

-->
Device ready in:3.07770991325 seconds
          FULL INFO
Openning port                            ..............................                            OK

SERIAL INFO 
		 VERSION:  05 1B  VENDOR:  01 15

ZME_CAPABILITIES 
		     UID:  06 84 D1 B0 DA 37 D7 CA D6 04 16 8B 85 90 9C DD 
		  VENDOR:  00 00   NODES: FF 
		   FLAGS:  05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

FIRMWARE CRC
		    BOOT:  BB BB      FW:  35 7A
          MISC 
		    FREQ:  EU 

NVR Content
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
          Prog/erase lock :  FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF, Read back lock: FF
          Rev 01, Cal FB, TXCal  15 11, SAW  FF FF FF FF, Pin FF, CRC  B7 59
          NMV: CS 15, TYPE 02, SIZE  01 00, PSIZE  01 00 (EEPROM M25PE20)
          USB: VID  FF FF, PID  FF FF, UUID  FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
          FACTORY ID: WEEK 255, YEAR 255, CHIP  FF FF, SER  FF FF, WS 255, HWREV: FF FF, CRC8 FF

elapsed 5.16239094734 seconds

This suggest to me the device is not dead.

The thought occurred to me based on your Aeotec posting that this could be rebrand of surplus sticks with the issue that requires a USB hub (although that did not seem to help when you tried it). When you did the start-over is the stick still in the Hub? Probably my last idea is to factory reset the stick and try one more time. Sorry I could get you up and running.

Bob

This! My controller is now online.

This is definitely a z-wave binding bug!

Congrats. Glad you got it working.

Enjoy

Bob

Thank you for your help!

I somehow turned on z-wave debugging at the console-cli and now I have my z-wave working, I would like to turn z-wave debugging off. I have not been able to re-find those commands and now my openhab.log file is so full of z-wave debugging lines it is hard to see the other information within it. Anyone got that console-cli command to turn it off?

from the docs

To disable debug logging, enter the following command -:

log:set INFO org.openhab.binding.zwave
1 Like

This stick has a design flaw in the hardware, which means that it does not work properly with the Rapsberry pi 4 USB ports.

They made a new one where the pi 4 is explicitly mentioned (That says enough) in the sales story. Z-Stick Gen5+: upgraded for Raspberry Pi 4, S2 security, and SmartStart

Somewhere on the internet I read that they have not fully adhered to the USB standard.

To solve this I bought the product below and it works for me on a PI 4 and costs +/- 7 euros / $8.50

https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-hub/174/1229156/usb-20-hub.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_JuGBhBkEiwA1xmbRdURveLxUaiyJAb3igJO4yLq8elR0wNQDCMcbGGJ0im2vZH9ChuLJA

It seems to work fine with my amd64 platform. If I have trouble, Iā€™ll just buy the gen5+

Maybe someone in your area has an old USB 2 hub that you can borrow to test whether it works for you.

You can always choose a new product but I think thatā€™s a waste of money (+/- $60,-)

Iā€™ve tried it with a usb2 hub, didnā€™t make any difference.

But I am done with half-working things and unexplained solutions. I rather spend the $60 on something i know will work than mess with broken hardware.

That said, so far it works fine.

1 Like

Same here with my Raspberry Pi 4 / Razberry-Boardā€¦ on OH 2.5 everything works fine but on OH 3 not. I have now spended several hours on it without success.

Have you tried this: [SOLVED] OH3: zwave binding Z-Wave Serial Controller Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 remains offline - #46 by putrid

Basically, Openhab 3.0 uses serial port lockfiles in /var/lock/ which is only writable by root nowadays.

Hi @JoveToo - thank you for your hint.

I also tried this, unfortunately, this didnā€™t solve my problem either.
On Raspberry Pi OS Lite my file looks like this:

d /run/lock/subsys 0755 root root -

I have already tried to adapt the path and remove /subsys, again without success.

You will need to make the /var/lock/ path writable by root:dailup

Either edit /etc/tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf or copy /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf to /etc/tmpfiles.d/ and edit it there. Mine also has that /run/lock/subsys line but it also had a line:

d /run/lock 0775 root dialout -

So just add it (on mine it is in front of the other line).

Donā€™t forget to reboot.

If openhab canā€™t make the lockfile, it will refuse to talk to your controller. That wonā€™t change with getting a new controller, it will have the same problem.