Z-Wave Controller

I am new to all this, but I got myself a RPi3 and a Z-Wave light switch. I got Rasbian installed and OpenHAB up and running. I installed the switch.

It seems I am missing a small device called a Z-Wave controller. Can someone recommend one that will work with my RPi3 ? And is there some other hardware that I should get that I don’t know about?

I use an Aeotec Z-wave USB stick (http://aeotec.com/z-wave-usb-stick) as Z-wave controller in my network. Works seamless with my RPi3 and Openhab 2.0.0

Just to add: make sure you get the newer model, the gen5, and not the earlier one

Importantly this device can be backed-up, which will save a significant amount of time if you have numerous zwave devices and need to replace the controller.

Is it possible to do a backup of the z-stick without the Aeotec Windows program to do so? I.e directly from the RPi (Linux) env?

Sadly not…

If you want to save yourself a lot of time and troubleshooting, take a look at the Z-Way Binding & Razberry It costs some extra bucks, but is worth it.