Z-Wave Fibaro RGBW lamp not dimmable to full brightness

Forgetting the 30% bit for a while, I think this is correct - saturation isn’t changing brightness. If you take a look at a converter (eg http://colorizer.org/) you can see that changing saturation to 0 will give you white.

I think these pictures show what I mean.
The second picture is when I have reset the led bulb with my controller.
The first picture is maximum illumination I can do after openhab has set color.
Quite the difference wouldn’t you say?

How do I enable extended logging for z-wave so I can send you the logs?

What do you mean by reset the bulb? Does this mean exclude it and include it again? I want to try and replicate what you’re doing here.

I don’t disagree. Did the bulb report it was at 100% in both cases? I’d like to see the logs for both these instances to see what state it thinks it’s in.

You need to log on to the Karaf console and use the command log:set debug org.openhab.binding.zwave.

Hmmm - to get the device into the “low brightness” state, are you setting saturation to 0? If so, then I might have an idea of what’s happening. When we change the color, we will use the RGB LEDs to set the color, and (probably) using the RGB LEDs to provide white isn’t going to be as good as setting the white LEDs.

By reset, I mean HARD reset.
I set my controller (z wave usb stick) into reset mode. In this mode and you enable inclusion/exclusion mode on a device. The device will hard reset it so It forgets all controller settings and other configurations it can remember.

The only way for me to choose white is to set saturation at 0%.
Dimmer, openhab2 reports as being 100%.
So technically it should be as bright as when I did a hard reset, but it isn’t.

NOTE: I had some time to tinker now.
When Hard reset it lights up OK.
I can dim it back and fourth. Still OK.
If I change color it gets into dim state.

Now, if I set Brightness to 0. I cannot use dimmer slider and “on/off”.
If I set brightness to anything else, I now can use dimmer slider and “on/off”.
But only with the color that is set. Or saturated ((dimmed for white and else color).

I will send the log files in a second to your mail.
Thanks for looking into this!

Ok - so I think the issue is what I mentioned above. Once we start to use the color controls, then we’re using the RGB LEDs - not the white LEDs - and they won’t produce a bright, or ‘pure’ white. What I probably need to do is to switch back to using the white LEDs once saturation equals 0.

I’ll have a think about this over the next few days - I have this device here so it’s easy for me to play with.

I can confirm that the above works. I’ll get something sorted over the next few days - it might take a few iterations to get right - at the moment, reducing saturation down to 0 results in a sudden step change from the RGB version of white to the white LED version - I’ll need to see if I can transition that in a little cleaner or not…

It’s late here though, and I have a taxi coming at 5am, so gonna call it a night…

2 Likes

I did another quick test last night and it seems that with this device at least, once the RGB LEDs are used, the white LEDs are disabled. If that turns out to be the case, then I will likely have to use the saturation to switch between color mode and white mode…

1 Like

The database issue that was stopping the white balance working was fixed yesterday. It will require updating the binding, and also deleting the thing and adding it back (note that this doesn’t mean excluding and including the device into the network).

Color balance has a scaling issue that will be fixed today or tomorrow - probably at the same time as the brightness issue…

FTR.

comments welcome…

1 Like

Great job!
Color works.
Dimming works.
And temperature works and it can be set between white and warm white.
This is awesome :slight_smile:

I could not see a donation button on your website.
Is there anyway I could send you 10usd?

Thanks for the thought. I decided to add one on the bottom of the About page. It’s not something I’ve worried with, but as I do end up buying quite a few devices just for test, it’s appreciated - thanks.

Wow @chris, really happy to see that it is working here as well. Because of various reasons, I did not have time to try the nightly of openhab until today. I’d like to second sintei’s remarks: dimming, color and color temperature all work as I would expect. Thanks you so much. I also donated for the good cause. If you don’t need it, then perhaps a fund for openhab development (to help with the equipment) would want to accept our donations.