Z-wave hardware suggestions

Hello all,
maybe someone would lie to help me with his experience.

With OH running on an Ubuntu Machine I’m controlling basically a PLC via modbus, but I’d like to put some sensors where I do not have any cabling, therefore I think I could you use Z-wave sensors.

My idea was to start with an USB stick: Aeon Labs DSA02203-ZWUS Z-Wave. Is it a good choice ?

Do you have any suggestions for hardware ? I’d like to start with door/window sensors.

Thanx

I have used both the Z-Wave Z-Stick Series 2 and the newer Gen 5, both work fine with OH, If you decide to go this route you would also want to install Habmin, its great for configuring your Z-Wave modules.

What sort of sensors are you looking to deploy as Z-Wave could be overkill and overly expensive?

As far as I know the cost for a simple proximity magnetic sensor (used for doors) is about 30 eur/usd … I’m collecting opinions and suggestions about it …

For window contact you may use also MAX! window contacts with MAX! Cube from eQ3 or connect to security system if you have it. I tested both options and they work as good as z-wave (I have a few windows equiped with simple magnetic contacts hooked to Fibaro binary sensors).
I ran OH on virtual centOS machine and I found Z-Stick gen 5 better than Z-Stick S2 as it is visible to the system as /dev/ttyACM0 while S2 was linked to /dev/ttyUSB0 and changed from time to time (on VM snapshot for example) to ttyUSB1 which reuired reboot of OH server.

Gen5 has more throughput and bigger range as it complies with newer specs of Z-wave.

Thank you @JjS.
I’m starting from skratch … Is the MAX! solution proprietary or open ?
I was thinking about Z-Wave only because it’s open and not vendor-related … but still … if some hardware fits perfectly with OH, why not …

MAX! is far less flexible than z-wave and used solely for heating. Their thermostats are less expensive than z-wave enabled Danfoss valves. The protocol is proprietary, but there is a binding available for OH.

If you plan to connect more into your network, go for z-wave, bigger variety of devices and far greater flexibility. Be sure to choose the newer standard.

Hello and thanks again for the info.

You suggested “Aeotec” products because of your personal experience ?

No - I would avoid this stick - I would recommend the Aeon, but go for the Gen5 version. Then Gen2 has some problems in some installations.

Thank you !

Another +1 for the newer Gen5 stick, I am currently using it on a CentOS build.

Does someone have direct experience with a Aoen Gen 5 stick + Raspberry PI ?

And another question: the USB sticks and the devices works on different frequencies in different countries ? One must check when buying what is thw working frequency ? Can someone soggest a place where one can buy for Europe ?

Hi all,

I’m looking for opinions/recommendations on Z-wave gear. I’m thinking of purchasing the Aeon Labs Multisensor 6 as it seems like quite a capable sensor. Has anyone tried it?

I haven’t currently got any Zwave hardwave so I’d need a controller. I’ve seen two but not sure of the difference other than price. Could you help me out a bit??

It’s a toss up between the Z-wave.me UZB Stick and the Aeon Gen5 Stick. Pros/cons? Which one should I go for?

Thanks

Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2807 https://www.google.ca/search?q=Gigabyte+GB-BXBT-2807&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwz-CqzI7MAhUIPT4KHTrJCEEQ_AUIBygC

My post has a bunch of diff stuff with my pros and cons if your interested.

Z-stick 2 or 5 are both fine. No real difference. Both still have available firmware updates. Zwave.me sticks antenna is too small and is subject to more interference. Also It don’t have an internal battery like the aeon labs z-sticks. You can walk the house with them and add/remove your devices way more easily with the on-board button. I don’t recommend the multi sensor as mine blew through batteries every 2-3 months. They work great otherwise but me personally I try to shoot for 3-6 years without having to touch them.

I would not recommend the Z-Stick 2 as it has some problems. The Gen-5 is also much better, and higher power - it’s probably the best option around (IMHO).

Hi Chris,

Just curious what issues you’ve seen with the Zstick2? My 2 totally outperforms my 5 all day long and i have the latest FW on both. My 2 works flawlessly with OH1.8 with binding 1.9. Rock solid and stable.

Mine has also worked ok - most of the time. However, there is a problem where they can lock up - Aeon were looking for a fix, but if I remember correctly from reports on the OZW list, people still reported the problem after the ‘fix’ was applied…