Z-wave Issues: Big delay in response and controller goes offline every day or so

They are disabled right now but will do once I track down my current issue. thank you

Ya I set the baud rate to 115200 (the highest that it can go).

I made a backup of my Z-wave stick and am going to let it sit for a few days to see how it performs with the heal and the above items disabled. Your point about data rates between COM and USB is a good one. My only other alternative would be to put openHAB on its own hardware, which would be a huge pain but I’ll do it if necessary.

Whats the recommended hardware for openHAB? Also whats the latest and greatest Z-wave controller people are using now?

I missed this earlier. I would look at an 800-chip controller (my favorite for US is Zooz $26.95), but they are all the same). It is a faster chip and has a bit better range, although radio speeds are the same. Long range support is not available (and is currently only permitted in North America), but the device is Long Range capable, so when that is available you will be set if you need that.

Regarding the Fibaro Smart Implant refresh, I solved this by changing the polling period of the node to 600 (every 10 minutes) and kept my refresh rule disabled.

1 Like

Well IDK how it happened but for some reason it’s working fine again…at least it has been for the past 3 days.

Here’s what I noticed: I would find the controller either severely delayed in executing commands or not responsive at all and would restart the openHAB service via sudo systemctl restart openhab.service that would fix it temporarily. I had to do this daily. It seemed to work fine till sometime in the night…maybe after midnight but don’t know the exact time for sure. Then I would restart openHAB again.

One morning I woke up and it was working…no need to restart openHAB. I’m not sure what fixed it as everything I tried above had been done for a few days prior to it starting to work again. What I can say, and this is a long shot, is that I noticed that the Local Time Thing was offline for a few days. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. It came back online by itself though.

Since it started working again, I re-enabled the Fibaro Smart Implant (Node 48) per the post above and kept my refresh rule disabled. I also re-enabled my Home Energy Monitor and now am only reporting 4 stats every minute and nothing else. Before it was 4 every minute and about 10 every 10 minutes.

I also kept the Wave Network Heal disabled. I think I’ll keep it disabled unless there is a reason to enable this. Maybe someone else can speak to this. Do I need to re-enable it if I add a new Zwave device?

I wish I had more conclusive data but I wanted to write this post to summarize the above in case it’s helpful to someone else.

Thanks again @apella12

The binding queues messages that are not sent due to a busy controller and that can lead to the problems you observed. It may have taken some time to clear the queue after reducing the activity. IIRC Node48, Node 53 and the Network Heal were the big contributors and are likely now under control. I would leave the network heal disabled. If you add a device you can do a one-time network heal or simply just heal the new node after inclusion.

Glad you are back in business :grinning:

1 Like