[SOLVED] Z-Wave Network Heal.. when is it needed? does it always need to happen?

Apologies for losing it there. It is very hot in my office.

1 Like

I’ve no idea - I don’t use versions off the web. It’s from a couple of months back though. Heal is enabled.

It is almost certainly from before the change was made to the neighbour update. Unfortunately until the IDE gets fixed I’m a bit screwed with doing developments which is (to put it mildly) a little frustrating.

3 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Zniffer

What happened with the IDE? Piqued my interest!

From reading this entire thread with the back and forth, I understand some more about how Z-Wave works, and I’m also more confused than ever, and I’m thinking that probably means I’ve understood correctly. :slight_smile:

It still seems like more intelligence with regards to when to heal could be a good idea though.

And, at some point I should turn one of my sticks into a Zniffer.

I have an Aeotec Gen 5 stick with its jurassic never-changing firmware and annoying disco light, could that one be turned into a Zniffer since I will never use it in production? :slight_smile:

I have the same thing and I’m interest in doing the same. I would buy another and connect it to a different box to not interfere with OH’s stick.

Best, Jay

Zniffer discussion has moved to…

I think you have understood.

Your home and your setup is unique and what works for you is not always best for another.

The variables go on and on: materials in the building; the physical distances; the number of devices; the mix of devices; the electricity supply: the amount of reporting configured; the ratio of sleeping device and number of devices that have reporting and how often.

Is there even a quiet time on your network that can support the volume of traffic of a full rebuild? If there is not it is not necessarily going to do good things.

My advice is understand the specific issue you have before taking the medicine. If the network is not ill why does it need to be healed?

I don’t know. I believe daily heal is on by default in the binding, I did not specifically choose to turn it on. I could be remembering wrong, it’s been a while since I installed openHAB at this point.

It is so take your medicine as it may cure something you do not have.

Yeah, I believe you’re stretching that analogy too far. Unlike actual medicine, I don’t see how calling heal unnecessarily is going to cause heal-resistant future network problems.

Preventative maintenance is always a good idea. As I’ve repeatedly said, it doesn’t do any harm (at least it hasn’t for the past 6 years!) and it is required for older devices that have no other way to form routes. Therefore, on balance it is more likely to benefit than not.

Cool. I’ll create an issue about stateful heal intervals and hopefully some rainy day in the future after the IDE works again you’ll feel like writing the feature? :slight_smile:

Thanks - I have to fix a bug in this area so will have a think about it when I’m looking at that. The big issue at the moment is that until the IDE is up and running again, development is somewhat difficult :frowning:

1 Like

One thing I was wondering about…

Is there any difference between how heal is handled with battery devices versus mains devices. Since battery devices don’t route (because they’re mostly asleep), I’m curious about the benefit of regular healing for battery devices versus mains devices.

No - other than they need to wake up obviously.

That’s not correct - battery devices are normally routing slaves. If they didn’t route, they would only be able to communicate with devices in direct range of the device.

From what I know of Z-Wave I’m guessing he probably meant that battery devices don’t route frames originating from other devices. But indeed, in order for frames originating from a battery-powered device to reach the destination, the battery powered device itself has to specify which path its frames will take, i.e. routing, right?

Yes, this is what I meant. I should’ve been more specific.

Ok, but the point about routing is not what devices route frames for other devices (ie what devices participate in the mesh), it’s what devices participate in routing. This is what matters.

The bottom line is that battery devices participate in routing in the same way as mains devices, so the heal is also the same.

1 Like

Issue created for the original feature request here.

Thanks for your excellent and diligent work, Chris!
I hope they get that IDE sorted soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too.

Thanks
Chris

1 Like