[SOLVED] Z-Wave Network Viewer stays empty after deleting/re-adding all things

Hi,

A while ago, while upgrading to 2.4.0, I followed the advice to delete and re-add all things, except the controller. All worked well.

Later I discovered that, actually the advice was to ALSO delete and re-add the controller thing, because of the changes in the controller auto discovery. (I had the “extra” controller thing in my inbox at this stage).

So recently, while on 2.5.0, I decided to finally do this well: I deleted and re-added all things, including the controller thing.

Result: the network and all things work and are using the new controller thing. However, one thing doesn’t work since this change: the Habmin Z-Wave Network Viewer. It just shows an empty page. The things individually do have their neighbors listed.

Upgrading to 2.5.1 also did not fix this.

Anyone know how to fix the Z-Wave map?

Thanks in advance.

Usually the map is back after a nightly heal.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this. I had disabled the nightly heal because of an issue I’m experiencing.

I have to note though that it’s not entirely clear to me why there would be a dependency on the nightly heal to draw this diagram. You’d think the neighbor info would suffice (which is present).

Hi, I turned on network heal 3 days ago, but still have an empty map. Do you have another suggestion to find out what might be going on?

@robbert

The zwave network view is only visible if all nodes are initialized.

Use Habmin --> Configuration–> Things

Mark your node and click on “advanced settings”

Then read this post.

If there are any nodes where “Reintialize Device” is missing, then you should do further investigatons for these nodes.

Maybe you could heal them manually by clicking on “Heal device” (in advanced settings). If a device is battery driven, then you have to wake it up many times during heal.

Hope this helps.

I don’t think so.
After an openHAB restart some of my battery devices are not yet woken up, they are still in “Request NIF” and my network view is fine at this stage …

1 Like

If they all were initialized before the restart, then the network view is visible, also if a node is sleeping.

Can’t comment on that as I don’t have any since ages (and won’t force one to find out) :grinning:

Thanks, this is very interesting info. Why is this? All my nodes have neighbor info, regardless if they’re fully initialized or not. So I’d expect a diagram can be made from this already.

Thanks for this as well, also very interesting. I recognize a lot of the network issues in combination with the network heal. I checked my network for ghost nodes, found none. Still having issues after every heal - multiple devices are kicked offline, some for multiple hours. (That’s why I disabled it recently.)

Apparently, I have one node on the edge of my network that has issues completing initialization. At least, after restarting OpenHAB and triggering a network heal last Saturday, on Monday (today) the node still didn’t have the “Reinitialize Device” option. Healing the node manually does not seem to help. The node is 20 cm next to a healthy, initialized node, and neighbor info shows it has 8 neighbors. Finally after restarting OpenHAB just now, all nodes are showing the “Reinitialize device” option again.

Still an empty network view though.

So this raises some questions:

• Why is the network view only available after all nodes are initialized?
  • Why do certain nodes not get initialized after a heal?
  • Is the presence of the “Reinitialize device” option a good indicator of a node being initialized anyway?
  • What more can I try to get the Network View working?

Thanks for your help!

Q: Why is the network view only available after all nodes are initialized?
A: Sorry, I don’t know exaclty. I have observed this behavior on my system.

Q: Why do certain nodes not get initialized after a heal?
A: Maybe the awake period (if battery driven) is too short.

Q: Is the presence of the “Reinitialize device” option a good indicator of a node being initialized anyway?
A: Sorry, I don’t know exaclty. I have observed this behavior on my system.

Q: What more can I try to get the Network View working?
A: Make a backup of all userdata/zwave/node*.xml files. Then delete all node*.xml files there. Restart OH.

@chris: Do you possibly have the answers to above questions? And additionally these questions as well:

• Is a successfully completed network-wide heal mandatory for the Zwave Network Viewer to display anything? And if so, why does this dependency exist?

Thanks for the suggestion, but this didn’t work either to get the network viewer fixed.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I was talking about a couple of mains-powered devices that have trouble initializing after a heal, so it’s not caused by the awake-period.

Anyway, since my network has trouble completing a network-wide heal, I can’t really be sure that a complete heal was finished after the change I mentioned in my original post. So this could still be the cause of the Network Viewer being blank (if this dependency indeed exists).

I’ll focus on troubleshooting the network-wide heal first now.

Finally managed to fix the network-wide heal (using this fix), and now my network view is working again!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction of the underlying issue with the heal.