Z-Wave S2?

I am looking to buy some Z-Wave gear starting of course with the Aeontec Z-Stick. Noticing some products talking about S2 security and even sounded like whatever that is, it won’t work unless all the devices support it. Anyone familiar with S2? Know if the Z-Stick supports it as didn’t seem so. The ZOOZ USB Z-WAVE PLUS S2 STICK ZST10 obviously by the name supports it but know most people get the Aeontec unit.

Thanks.

JR

I remember there was some forum traffic about S2 support in the binding but to my knowledge there is no support implemented yet.

I’ve changed the category and added the zwave tag.

S2 is not supported at the moment. All devices will also support S0 which is supported.

How to set up Zooz ZST10 with S0?

You should just include it using the standard secure functions - there’s nothing special as such. Maybe you will need to set the secure inclusion mode to “all devices” (I don’t know what the ZST10 is) but otherwise it should be a standard secure inclusion.

It is ZOOZ USB Z-WAVE PLUS S2 STICK ZST10 with S2 security protocol.
I am going to use it as Z-wave hub. Possibly your advise will help me to set it up.

All S2 devices support S0, so you can just use S0 which the binding supports.

I’m not sure what you want set up? As I said, I don’t know these devices, so I can’t really offer specific help about them.

See this thread for S2 support status

1 Like

Hi =) Is there a Plan to support S2? =)

Not at the moment. We’ll look at it in future, but all devices support S0 so all devices are currently supported.

1 Like

Okay thanks :slight_smile: but S0 is not so secure like S2… that’s why I was asking :slight_smile: if you need any help testing or else, let me know :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that’s really true. S2 has more features - it uses device specific keys so that different devices cannot receive data between other secure devices in the network. S2 also handles inclusion better and avoids potential vulnerability where the key can be sniffed.

However I think that the actual security is largely the same (I might be wrong about this - it’s been a while since I looked at the algorithm).

So, S2 is better - that’s for sure. But is it something that you really need.

We’ll definitely look at S2 in future, but there are other things on the list first.

1 Like

Oh okay I See… thanks for the in depth information :-)! Didn’t know that much about it :slight_smile: thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Here’s update on where my S2 work is at that I started a few years back

How does this relate to the OpenHAB zwave binding?