Z-Wave Steinel 140-2 Motion Detector

I tried to get the Steinel 140-2 working but don’t receive any readings on any channel from the device. Z-Wave pairing went well, I also was able to edit the Thing’s parameters, but I don’t get switch state or any readings from the luminance sensor. All items were created in PaperUI.
Does anybody has a hint how to get the thing working?

Thanks,
Roland

Hi again,

I guess I got ze damn thing working. The issue was, that it updates the channels only when pollled. After setting the polling period to 30s (which seems to be the lowest allowed value), I get an update of the luminance sensor every 30s.
But I still don’t get any other updates than that. When the motion detector activates the relay, the switch item in OpenHAB is only updated with the 30s poll interval. Also I don’t get an event in the event.log. Is there a way to configure the device so it sends events like motion detection and relay status actively?
Any hints are much appreciated.

Can you plz delete and readd your associations? I also own these motion sensors and no problems with the relays and luminance sensor.

Many thanks for your help. How should the associations be configured? I have associated “controller” to all groups when tinkering around but it’s not possible to remove the associations.

I have the same Issue and my ToDoList for today is a ticket at STEINEL because my home is unstable once the flood begins. That has to stop. I use a Aeotec Gen5 Stick.

So In case somebody else needs the response from Steinel: (translated by deepl)
Please note that parameter 9 must be set to 1 (Slave Mode). However, the logic for switching on must then be programmed on the controller itself (if movement and light value < x then switch on light)!

1: Slave mode (normal, slower reaction due to Z-Wave duty cycle)
2: Direct association (only for operation without controller, for direct coupling of two Steinel devices)
3: Slave mode with Lifeline (immediate feedback on movements, so we use this in SmartFriends)

No other Z-Wave product has such a master mode, which logically links different functions in a device internally, so over time it probably leads to hangs in communication with the “simple” Z-Wave devices.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

1 Like

Do you mind posting the german original here? I suppose it’s much more understandable than the automatic translation.

Sure thing, I actually planned that and forgot :slight_smile:

Sie müssen beim Parameter 9 beachten, dass dieser bitte auf 1 zu setzen ist (Slave Mode). Es muss dann allerdings die Logik zum Einschalten auf dem Controller selbst programmiert werden (wenn Bewegung und Lichtwert < x dann Licht einschalten)!

1: Slave mode (normal, langsamere Reaktion aufgrund Z-Wave duty cycle)
2: Direct association (nur für Betrieb ohne Controller, für direkte Kopplung zweier Steinel Geräte)
3: Slave mode mit Lifeline (unmittelbares Feedback auf Bewegungen, so benutzen wir das in SmartFriends)

Kein anderes Z-Wave Produkt hat so einen Master-Mode, der unterschiedliche Funktionen in einem Gerät intern logisch verknüpft, deswegen kommt es über die Zeit vermutlich zu Hängern in der Kommunikation mit den "einfachen" Z-Wave Geräten.

Initially, it looked promising, but then, it didn’t. motion is not detected correctly.
I spend all night to get it working, but I failed. I have another steinel z-wave smart things, different issues there…
I’ll post updates as soon as the supports answers.
Would be interested if you found a config that works for you.
best regards
PhiL

Thanks, that is very useful! I will experiment with the device in the next days based on this information and share any findings if I’m successful.

I have had this device for quite some time - but never got the setup tuned.
Now, I have taken it down and want to reuse it somewhere else (I have multiple OH installations).

Could anyone please share their items+config+sitemap+rules etc. for this device where it is working as intended ?

i had just as big problems with the device. i contacted the steinel service and got the following answer (unfortunately only in german):

Hallo Herr xxx,

es tut mir sehr Leid, dass Sie Probleme mit einem unserer Produkte haben.

Welches Z-Wave System benutzen Sie genau? Ich gehe davon aus, dass es nicht unserer Smartfriends Box ist.

Bitte versuchen Sie einmal folgendes:

Sie müssen beim Parameter 9 beachten, dass dieser bitte auf 1 zu setzen ist (Slave Mode). Es muss dann allerdings die Logik zum Einschalten auf dem Controller selbst programmiert werden (wenn Bewegung und Lichtwert < x dann Licht einschalten)!

1: Slave mode (normal, langsamere Reaktion aufgrund Z-Wave duty cycle)
2: Direct association (nur für Betrieb ohne Controller, für direkte Kopplung zweier Steinel Geräte)
3: Slave mode mit Lifeline (unmittelbares Feedback auf Bewegungen, so benutzen wir das in SmartFriends)

Kein anderes Z-Wave Produkt hat so einen Master-Mode, der unterschiedliche Funktionen in einem Gerät intern logisch verknüpft, deswegen kommt es über die Zeit vermutlich zu Hängern in der Kommunikation mit den “einfachen” Z-Wave Geräten.

Sollten Sie noch weitere Fragen oder weiterhin Probleme haben, können Sie sich gerne jederzeit an uns wenden.

Translation

The device now works in “slave mode” for me. This means that I do not use the relay of the motion detector, but control my light via a rule .

Here is my full configuration of the device:

Thing via paperUI:

Items:

Switch	vZWaveNode16_Online										"Bewegungsmelder 1"		<switch>	(gSensorStatus)
Switch	ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SwitchBinary		"Schalter, manuell"									{channel="zwave:device:ba89caaa:node16:switch_binary"}	// manuell schalten, z.B. für Dauerlicht
Switch	ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_AlarmMotion1		"Bewegungsalarm "		<pir>						{channel="zwave:device:ba89caaa:node16:alarm_motion1"}	//  Bewegungserkennung
Number	ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SensorLuminance2	"Sensor (luminance)"	<lux>						{channel="zwave:device:ba89caaa:node16:sensor_luminance2"}	// gemessene Helligkeit, Lux
Switch	ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SwitchBinary3		"Schalter, BWM"										{channel="zwave:device:ba89caaa:node16:switch_binary3"}	// wird vom PIR geschaltet und schaltet nach der Zeit Parameter 1 wieder aus

Sitemap:

Text label="PIR" icon="IS140-2" {
	   		Switch item=ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SwitchBinary
			Switch item=ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SwitchBinary3
			Text item=ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SensorLuminance2
			Switch item=ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_AlarmMotion1
		}

Rule:

@rule("Haustuerlicht einschalten")
@when("Item ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_AlarmMotion1 changed to ON")
def Haustuerlicht_schalten(event):
	if items["vZWaveNode16_Online"] != ON:
		LOG.info(u"Haustürlicht wird nicht eingeschaltet, da PIR nicht verfügbar (Auslöser: {}).".format(event.itemName))
		return

if items["ZWaveNode16_IS1402PIRSensorWithRelay_SensorLuminance2"] > DecimalType(150):
		return

LOG.info(u"Schalte Haustürlicht ein ({}).".format(event.itemName))
	events.sendCommand ("ZWaveNode17_ZMNHADFlush1Relay_SwitchBinary", "ON")

1 Like

Thanks - really helpful.

Thanks for sharing.
Just a quick one:
Is this to activate and deactivate the sensor in general (no motion detected / reported when off?)
I was wondering what this switch does.