Z-Wave Stick Migration (via Z-Wave "Controller Shift" feature)

The easiest way to get the Gen5 on Node 1 would be to backup the S2 and restore to the Gen5. BUT, it doesn’t look like the backup software works for the S2, so that won’t work. Here is the only other option I can think of. This is scary to do without a backup, and if it all goes wrong you will need to rebuild your network! Aeon Labs support helped me out a lot, maybe they have a simpler option.

1. Add the Gen5 to the network
  2. Shift it to Primary (I used Zensys Tools).
  3. Set the Gen5 as SIS and SUC. I don’t recall exactly, but I think the original Primary displays as RealPrimary or RealNetwork until I fiddled with SIC/SUC until it moved over to the second controller. Sorry, I’m not sure of my exact method and I don’t know if this is really needed, but you definitely need SIS and SUC on the Gen5.
  4. Pull the S2 and reset it (this should leave Node 1 in the network)
  5. Include the S2 again and shift it to Primary and SIS/SUC as in 3
  6. Pull the Gen5 and reset it (I don’t think you can exclude a primary or secondary controller)
  7. Send a NOP to Node 1 (you have to type 1 into the text box). This should fail, but I’ve had to send it more than once at times. It goes quicker to click the Queue Overrided check box for the node.
  8. Select Node 1. Do an IsFailed check. This will mark the node as failed.
  9. Do a Replace Failed and press the button on the Gen5. This will include the Gen5 as Node 1.
  10. Shift Primary and SIS/SUC to the Gen5
  11. Send a NOP to the old node that the Gen5 was on. Select that node and do an IsFailed, then Remove Failed.
  12. If you’re leaving your S2 as Secondary, you’re done. If not, pull it, reset it, and repeat 11 for that node number.

I would have done this to get my HUSBZB-1 in at Node 1 to get my minimote to work again, but I had already removed the original primary. So there was no Node 1 to restore to and I had to include/exclude until the nodes rolled back around to Node 1.

3 Likes