Z-Wave Stick or Serial port disconnects or sleeps

I am running Openhabian (OpenHAB 2.4.0-1) on a Raspberry Pi 3b with a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (purchased 5/2018). On a regular basis (i.e., 1-3 times per week), the ZWave stick stops sending commands. The buttons in BasicUI change state, and I can see commands running in the OH log, but the ZWave devices do not respond. The ZWave Serial Controller thing is online in PaperUI/HABmin and no ZWave nodes are red in HABMin. If I change the serial port from /dev/ttyACMO (the right one) to /dev/ttyAMA0 (the wrong one), and then back to /dev/ttyACMO (the right one), the ZWave controller starts sending commands again. Not only does it start sending commands, but it sends the recent commands that failed to run. I guess the commands are queued somewhere. For example, a light that I tried switching twice in BasicUI before switching the serial ports will flash on and off several times.

I’ve switched out both the ZWave sticks and the Pis – I have two sticks and a pile of Pis. And the Openhabian installs are always fresh installs. The same thing happens regardless of the stick-Pi combo. The only software I loaded on the Pi with Openhabian is htop and curl.

I think that I updated the ZWave stick firmware a few months ago, but not sure. Yes I have done soft resets and actually removed/reinserted the stick.

I’ve search the OH community for similar ZWave issues. And I’ve searched Pi forums to explore whether the serial port is sleeping. I haven’t seen other folks folks with this problem, but I certainly could have missed it.

Log file uploaded. Log ZWave debug.log (891.2 KB)

Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting or fixes?

thanks!
Josh

Very strange, never heard of this.
The only thing you did not mention: did you also change your sd card?

Have you swapped out the power supply? They can get weak and not be able to supply enough power for peripherals.

Aeon has never released a firmware update for these. https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000216636-z-stick-gen5-firmware-update

I had a similar problem a long time ago, where I had to restart OH every few days, unless I commented out the Items linked to my Aeon G1 HEMs. IIRC, there was an issue where every now and then there was bad data coming in from the meters, and the binding couldn’t handle it and would cause it to hang. This was resolved, but what devices are you using? Turn on debugging for the binding, and check to see what is occurring at the time it stops.