Z-wave suddenly showing no devices

z-wave has been rock solid for me for ages (I’m using an Aeon gen 5 stick).

My setup is a bit confusing in that I’m accessing the stick via a com->tcp connection as I can’t directly share it with openhab which is running in a VM.

I have upload my log here: http://pastebin.com/raw/fNJ63VPX

I was running the 1.8.3 binding, but I rolled back to 1.8.2 and that didn’t fix it either. Openhab is on 1.8.3.

The only thing I can think to do next is to factory reset the stick, but given that I have some of these devices in walls I’d really rather not!

Any ideas what I should try next?

I suggest putting that huge log file into the zwave log viewer
it may give you some more hints …

I had a very quick look at the log, and it definaetly shows that devices are working ok, so I wouldn’t reset your stick. I would suggest upgrading the binding to the latest version, although I doubt that will actually solve your problem.

You don’t really say what is wrong though - the only problem report is the title of the message, so what is actually wrong? What do the UIs show, what errors do you have etc?

Sorry - I thought I had!

Basically nothing z-wave related is working. Habmin shows no devices. It’s as if everything is gone. In the log towards the bottom you can see that it can’t find the items anymore.

Sorry - I didn’t look down to the bottom of the log - the top looked fine and as I wasn’t sure what to look for I didn’t spot the issue further down…

Anyway, it looks like the stick is either dead, or locked up, or the serial port is dead - not much else to say as there is no response from the stick. Given you’re running over a TCP connection, it might also be that.

Then this part should be the problem:
2016-08-11 07:40:26.181 [ERROR] [b.z.i.protocol.ZWaveController:344 ]- Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyUSB01 does not exist
Your operating system cannot find your stick …

I didn’t spot that (and I was specifically looking for that as well :slight_smile: ). There are multiple restarts in the log, and most don’t have the error so the port seems to open ok except for this once. My guess would be an issue with the tcp connection (but that’s a guess).

It was the stick!

My setup is odd I’ll admit - when ubuntu starts a script is launched which mounts the com->tcp port. I then restart openhab as often that starts before my script (thats the error you saw sihui).

Anyway, removing and re-inserting the stick, then restarting openhab and the com->tcp programs sorted everything!

Openhab once again proving to be way more reliable than the stuff I do!