Z-wave things lose their Lifeline Association Group

HI Chris understood. I had an issue two days ago, my outside lights on a Fibaro Dimmer 2 keep going on/off in conjunction with a Multisensor 6 and would not let me switch the light off at all. I tried everything. In the end I reset the LIfeLine for both devices (yes they were blank, i didnt check the debug to see if they had been lost, not sure how) and I did a heal on both devices.

This allowed me to switch it off.

I’m not sure I can understand how this is related to the lifeline?

Changing the lifeline association group should not in any way prevent you from turning a light on or off. The association groups are reporting FROM the device - it should not alter the way the device works, or prevent you from sending a command TO the device, or from manually switching the device.

Hi Chris

I don’t doubt that. Just explaining what I had to do to fix the issue. It hasn’t occurred since

I really would like to somehow see the true set associations for my devices.
in the past I surely spammed to much in those settings and get redundant messages for devices.
its a pain to find out which are affected by logs.

• Is there a fix in the visualization of the associations planned?
  • can I somehow get that information? :frowning:

Not in HABmin - I’ve reported this in a number of places as the widget is no longer supported and it’s a lot of work to rewrite this unfortunately.

Check the XML - it should be in there.

How often is the XML updated? I sometimes had the impression that the information in the XML is outdated and only gets refreshed periodically. Can you confirm this?

It is updated when needed. This is if any parameters change, or any other information that needs to be persisted - this does not need to happen very often as most data is static.

Paper UI switches dimmer on/off state to ‘ON’ right after switching the device off.
I’m using OH 2.4 final in a fresh setup (everything setup through Paper UI).
No idea if it should be filled and if this can be related, but the “1: Controller Updates” setting under “Assocation Groups” for the zwave devices are all empty.
When the device is turned ON, the dimmer value goes to 47%, when it goes OFF and the UI then switches it ON it goes to 51%.
Debug log attached.openhab.log ping @chris (515.8 KB)

The log shows that Association Group 1 is set correctly. And if the controller receives updates if you change the item state at the hardware is a good prove for that.

I don’t see these assocation of “Group 1” further down in the log when I was testing.
It appears as if the ZWave devices are actually responding with the status of “51%” after being turned off.

Since the transmission of the SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_GET is almost exactly 1.5 seconds after the original OFF command was sent, I believe this is the response to the command repoll that we’re seeing. In this case 1.5 seconds may be too short and the light may still be transitioning from its previous state to OFF. Try increasing the Command Poll Period period – maybe 3000 milliseconds. You’ll find this parameter in the Device Configuration panel in HABmin.

2 Likes

I think you are right.
I found that the dimming time is set to 3 seconds (between min and max), so going from ON (100%) to OFF (0%) and polling after 2 seconds is causing this problem.
I could be wrong but it seems the correct polling interval could be calculated based on:
<dimming time> * <current %> + <polling command time>

Hi @chris

There is absolutely an issue with something in the zwave network with respect to devices losing the Association group and here is the log to prove it, hopefully.

I came home around 10.50pm, somewhere around there.

In the logs NODE 8, the motion sensor triggered NODE 4, the Back Eave Light Dimmer.

I noticed after a few minutes after inactivity, the light did not switch off. Upon checking HabMin, I noticed Node 4 association to LifeLine NOT set. It was set for Node 8, the Aeotec Multisensor Motion sensor.

I changed using Habmin Node 4 to LIFELINE under association groups. Almost immediately, the light switched off. I had debug running the whole time.

Apologies for the file, ive cut it down ALOT (theres more if you need it) but I believe this would have captured, the resetting of the lifeline and the light going out.

Hope this helps put to bed the issue or work out whats going on!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CN9yUV1k0qQ7abVNOxkxv6LreAS30lNW/view?usp=sharing

Cheers
Kris

At the moment I can’t access the log - hopefully over the weekend. Does it show WHY the associations are not set? It is no good showing that there is no reporting - I must see where the association is removed otherwise it is of no help.

In theory with the 2.5 binding it should not be possible to remove associations, so it’s really important to show where it is being removed (sorry - I know I keep repeating myself here, but so far I’ve not seen logs that show associations being removed under the latest binding).

sorry I can not be helpful with a log here.
but I also see devices on 2.5 snapshot that stop sending messages to the controller until I set the lifeline again.

if I catch something in a log I will of course post it.

Hi chris ive got logs back to when it was working. Does it show it being removed i dont know. I dont have the skills to determine that but ive got logs of it working and then it not. The whole log is 10megabyes and would span at least 24hrs between it working and not. If you want that log let me know and ill put it on google drive. Cheers

I’d suggest you post the file. It’s pretty easy to see what associations are being set/removed using the viewer. When you post the file, also make sure you state which node you believe is having the problem.

Sure,

here it is. As mentioned previously In the logs NODE 8, the motion sensor triggered NODE 4, the Back Eave Light Dimmer. Those are the devices that may have had their association lost or at least are problematic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eZQbMnE_DlbcUPOzSxsK3CEdE7fK1pOQ/view?usp=sharing

There are no signs of any issues in this log - the only two association commands in the log are just reading the state of the associations in node 4. It shows that node 4 is linked to the controller.

One thing I noticed, which looks odd, node 4 starts spewing reports at the rate of 1-2 per second starting at 22:58:25 and ending at 23:09:22. This doesn’t look normal to me. Have you tried excluding node 4, doing a factory reset, then re-including?