Zigbee basic questions from n00b

As I said in my original answer - it depends on your definition of the term “gateway”. It IS possible to pair a device to multiple gateways, and it is possible to have multiple gateways in a network. Only one gateway can be the coordinator and/or the trust centre.

1 Like

Thanks for patiently teaching me :sweat_smile:
OK : so I guess right now my Philips Hue gateway might be trust centre.
But (as many other people) I would eventually want my TI cc2531 to be trust centre and the other gateways (Philips, Xiaomi, etc…) not.
I will need to figure out how my TI cc2531 can take over and claim ‘trust centre’ responsability …
thanks again

Yes, the bridge is likely to be a trust centre.

You would need to create a new network and join all your devices to the new network that is created - it can’t “take over” the trust centre.

1 Like

But then Philips bridge will no longer see the (many) Philips zigbee devices?
My wife won’t like that: she uses the Philips app&software. Or am I wrong?
I hope I could use OpenHAB app&software to control all Philips, Xiaomi, etc… devices…
while not disturbing Philips, Xiaomi, etc… software
In fact, I am not so much interested in lamps (my wife is), but I am interested in technology :grinning:

Correct.

The other option you have is to have your CC2531 join the network as a router - I don’t know if that is possible with ZigBee2MQTT.

1 Like

OK Chris, believe me: you have provided an excellent intro for me.
I will try to go from here

1 Like

to become familiar with zigbee and its terminology, I spotted

LOL Big Zigbee typo on the title page.

If that indicates the attention they paid attention to detail and accuracy I would not trust them

I had a very quick look at this - it’s very old, so much has changed, but the basic, low level information about the network etc looks broadly ok as a beginners starting point at least.

1 Like

I think now: only sane way to use TI cc2531 (with controller firmware) would be to make it controller for all zigbee devices on a single ‘home’ network (and get rid of Philips, Xiaomi, etc… controller competition). In fact: I would really love to do this. Note: I tried (with router firmware) to make cc2531 a router on the Philips network but it was not accepted. But even as router it might not cover entire network.
So I am convinced one can use cc2531 to control entire Zigbee ‘home’. But I don’t think I can convince other people in the house to migrate to openhab-only and to give up the Philips, Xiaomi, etc… software. Certainly if some convenient aspects of those vendor applications would be missing. Personally I would not mind.