Zigbee binding issues - xbee vs ember

I have an ember module which seemed to work but keeps just failing
so I thought I would get a xbee module and try that

interesting devices which work fine with the ember module fail to register with the xbee module

my light switches for instance when using the xbee module show as

“Status: OFFLINE Node has not completed discovery”

but with the ember module they are identified and added without any problems
is there a reason for this?

my hue bulbs work fine with both modules

What version of the bindings are you using? Make sure you are using the latest version as I did make an update to the XBee driver recently that may (or not!) help.

311 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ ZigBee Binding
312 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ ZigBee CC2531 Binding
313 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ ZigBee Ember Binding
314 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ ZigBee Telegesis Binding
315 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ ZigBee XBee Binding

That’s very old now - I would strongly suggest to update to the latest test binding (eg 2.4 M5). The ZigBee binding is under active development, and it’s been 5 months or so since 2.3 was released - a lot has changed.

is there an easy way to install the test binding ?

I would recommend to upgrade your system to use the 2.4 M5 environment - I wouldn’t suggest to try and just update the binding (and I’m not 100% sure it will work due to changes in ESH over that time).

no worries, ill update the whole thing

yep has fixed the xbee coordinator

1 Like

I’ve connected most of my zigbee devices to the xbee coordinator, its quite different to the ember one in performance

with the ember it will add the device discover its name and abilities and be available almost immediately, with the xbee coordinator I get the unknown zigbee device mac thing show for quite some time in my inbox, and after I add the device it will remain in a state of “Status: OFFLINE Node has not completed discovery” for up to 5 minutes

I think ill switch back to the ember coordinator now that I am running the 2.4 M5 environment and see if it still performance as well as it did in 2.3 and if the issue with everything going offline has been resolved

well after switching back to the ember I am happy to say that its working perfectly
i’d strongly recommend an ember coordinator for anyone wanting to use zigbee as their protocol of choice

the xbee works but its sluggish, I used xctu to change the baud rate which improved it a bit but its still far slower than the ember to discover devices