Zigbee binding - no discovery of things

Does somebody have experience with the Synology CC2531 Setup?

Do I have to worry that my Synology is not showing the device as external USB device?

I assume everything is correct from openHab perspective since the Stick is shown as online in PaperUI and the LED is shining green all the time.

I was having a hard time trying to get this to work without no success until now. I also returned the CC2531 dongle and got a new one from the seller. He checked the firmware as well and according to him that looks fine.

After moving my openhab installation to Docker successfully I still have the Stick shown as online but no things are discovered during discovery.

The docker container is started with a user called “docker” and has access to the usb ports in the docker-compose.yml:

devices: 
      - "/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM0" # CC2531 stick

During the startup of the Synology I am changing the permissions and ownerships of the relevant directories besides adding the docker user to dialout and tty:

start_modules(){
echo ls -l /dev/tty* >> /volume1/docker/zigbee_log.txt
chown -R root.uucp /run/lock
chmod -R g+w /run/lock
chown -R root.uucp /var/lock
chmod -R g+w /var/lock
synogroup --add tty docker
synogroup --add dialout docker
chmod 0777 /dev/ttyA*
chown docker /dev/ttyA*
}

Permissions and ownerships look fine afterwards from my perspective:

auser@DS918plus:/volume1/docker$ ll -s /dev/ttyACM0 
0 crwxrwxrwx 1 docker root 166, 0 Sep 16 10:45 /dev/ttyACM0
auser@DS918plus:/volume1/docker$ 

Any further ideas in this scenario with Docker now maybe?

The log still stays pretty “quiet”:

2019-09-16 10:54:43.804 [DEBUG] [nternal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl] - Trying to start 2 scans with an aggregating listener.
2019-09-16 10:54:43.807 [DEBUG] [nternal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl] - Triggering scan for thing types '[zigbee:coordinator_telegesis, zigbee:coordinator_ember]' on 'UsbSerialDiscoveryService'...
2019-09-16 10:54:43.914 [DEBUG] [l.internal.UsbSerialDiscoveryService] - Discovered new USB-Serial device: UsbSerialDeviceInformation [vendorId=0x0451, productId=0x16A8, serialNumber=__0X00124B000BE8936D, manufacturer=Texas Instruments, product=TI CC2531 USB CDC, interfaceNumber=0x00, interfaceDescription=null, serialPort=/dev/ttyACM0]
2019-09-16 10:54:43.915 [DEBUG] [nternal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl] - Triggering scan for thing types '[zigbee:bitron-video-av2010-34, zigbee:bitron-video-902010-23, zigbee:smartthings_motionv4, zigbee:philips_sml001, zigbee:xiaomi_lumisensorht, zigbee:innr-rc-110]' on 'ZigBeeDiscoveryService'...
2019-09-16 10:54:43.917 [DEBUG] [bee.discovery.ZigBeeDiscoveryService] - Starting ZigBee scan for zigbee:coordinator_cc2531:stick
2019-09-16 10:54:46.885 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running scheduled sync job
2019-09-16 10:54:48.809 [DEBUG] [nternal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl] - Finished 1 of 2 discovery services.
2019-09-16 10:55:43.917 [DEBUG] [nternal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl] - Finished 2 of 2 discovery services.
2019-09-16 10:55:43.918 [DEBUG] [internal.discovery.DiscoveryResource] - Scan for binding 'zigbee' successfully finished.

I am testing a Conbee dongle from Dresden Electronics as well right now but there it looks like SSL issues occur. I will possibly write a separate post for that.

Have you enabled all the debug as recommended by the documentation? If so, it’s definitely strange that there is not more being logged.

yes I followed the When things don’t appear to be working section in the documentation and added this to my “org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg”:

# Zigbee binding
log:set DEBUG org.openhab.binding.zigbee
log:set DEBUG com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
log:set DEBUG com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember.internal.ash

I can confirm that it logs more then without these lines.

Ok, it’s a bit strange that this is working at all then as I don’t see any communication with the ZigBee system :confounded: . Can you provide the full log of the binding startup - or is this really all that you are seeing in the log?

here you find the full log: openhab.log (111.5 KB)

I can see that the binding is starting and opening the Port:‘/dev/ttyACM0’ and the UsbSerial discovery recognizes the CC2531 dongle.

I’m pretty sure that there is something wrong with your logging configuration as it’s not logging the data from the zigbee libraries at DEBUG level - it’s still on the default level as I only see ERROR messages.

I will check that.

update : I was able to recognize my Osram smart plug seconds ago. I will check the other devices and update afterwards.

1 Like

I am able to add my Osram smart plug now as mentioned.

But the Hue Bulbs are not discovered. Not the white nor the colored ones.
Only the HUE Bridge is detected.

In general it should be possible to directly communicate between the CC2531 dongle and the bulbs?

Yes, there should be no problem with using Hue bulbs - they are commonly used with the binding.

and the original Hue bridge does not need to be configured or running at all right?

Correct - it is totally independent. Note though that if you have been using the Hue bridge (or any other system), you will need to reset the bulbs before they can be joined. Resetting Hue bulbs isn’t super easy - a web search will find some information though.

Oh thanks for that info. I was not aware of that

ZigBee is a totally secure system, so devices need to be removed from their old networks before they can be reused