Zigbee binding stopped working since 2.5 M4

Thanks, but what is the log showing?

I don’t know what I’m looking for with this log as you’ve not described your problem. The log doesn’t really show anything - your have enabled join, but nothing has joined - should it have? If you are expecting something to join, then this hasn’t happened - I don’t know what device you are trying to join, so I can help too much with that, but if the device isn’t joining, then this is not something the binding can really change since that is a transaction between the coordinator and the device.

logs can be found here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e8f728a2bcf109d98c4b5fcbe5c3796120191227094635/20350c97dcdcf1dccb361e56e051239f20191227094635/611963

• Started with zigbee discovery, 5 devices found
  • added one device as thing, address ending with…2145
  • waited until Online state in Things
  • tried to control via Paper UI -> Nothing is happening at bulb

I’m not really sure what is happening here - there is nothing being received from the dongle other than a couple of loopback messages that were broadcast by the binding, and therefore sent back to the binding from the dongle. At least this shows the dongle is working and the binding is sending data to it, but it seems there is nothing happening over the air (as far as I can tell here).

@chris - the log was captured when openhab was restarted and when turning on one of the lights.
I ended up rolling back to 2.4 which made openhab unresponsive - the service wouldn’t even restart; then, upgraded back to 2.5, fixed the restdocs to be in ui vs misc, restarted openhab. and things seem to have been working since then. This event was really weird and glad that the issue is no longer happening.

Without fixing restdocs all addons would restart every minute.

1 Like

So I’ve updated openhab to 2.5.1 version which seems to have latest 1.2.9 zigbee library and it seems to be somehow even worse. Initializing devices now takes very long time and I’m getting lots of

2020-01-13 18:28:27.130 [WARN ] [ding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort] - Processing DATA_AVAILABLE event: Serial buffer overrun

And it still takes long time to respond to commands.

I’ve recorded several minutes of log after I’ve enabled CC2531 coordinator - none of my bulbs became online in that time.
Seems like best solution would be throwing CC2531 into trash and buying ember coordinator, just to save everyone’s time…

openhab-zigbee.log (848.4 KB)

Hello m0rgoth,
I also updated to openHAB 2.5.1 with a Telegesis (Qivicon) dongle and I have the same logs. So don’t throw your dongle away. :slight_smile:
At first it was working yesterday evening. But sometime last night I got the same trace messages in my logs and zigbee wasn’t working this morning.
Not sure if it is related to the zigbee binding. Following effects were also visible:

• I’m using the old KNX 1 binding and it had many reconnects in the log
  • I saw logs something like “Can’t create Thread because OutOfMemory”
  • The Openhab JAVA process memory consumption went crazy high
    Did you have something similar?

Because many users use different Zigbee dongles. Is it possible to give a recommendation as to which hardware (USB stick) and firmware (version) have been tested and approved properly?

This could be very helpful for troubleshooting and new users.

These errors indicate something is either chewing processor time and causing the system not to respond, with subsequent overrun errors, or possibly an issue with the serial port.

Have you looked at the binding docs? This does say what dongles are available and where firmware is critical (ie the CC2531) if defines what is needed.

For Ember dongles, it is not really critical.

I’ve got the binding doc.

Sorry… I was thinking more of user feedback. There will be a lot of installations that will work fine. everybody can make it public.

Not all recommended hardware is available in every country. It would be very helpful to know what good experiences have been made with.

True, but with ZigBee, it generally is - even if you need to purchase from abroad. There are no regional constraints.

Generally, I would recommend using an Ember based dongle as this gets most testing, and has been certified (ie I’ve completed ZigBee Alliance testing with such a dongle and a version of the binding).

At some point I hope to make a dongle available that provides the Ember dongle and a network sniffer - currently I only have a limited number for testing at this stage.

I don’t see any unusual cpu or memory usage. But everytime OH tries to send data to zigbee network i get lots of buffer overrun messages with some packet parse errors. Anyone has any idea what might cause it or how to debug it? Right now I can’t get any battery devices to work - finding them works but due to these errors they never complete discovery.

Is your dongle connected with a cable? Have you tried a different physical port?
Just a couple of random ideas.

It’s connected to usb hub, but plugging it directly into dedicated usb port makes no difference. Normally I’d think it’s just faulty usb stick but it worked in m3 and reverting back made it working again. Does everyone else’s cc2531 work with latest version without problem? Maybe it’s something specific about my setup, some system serial to usb device config or something…

Ok so I got fed up with this and bought bitron video ember stick, now (almost) everything works again.

1 Like

Hi m0rgoth,

I do encounter the same issue. Which bitron video ember stick did you buy exactly? Could you provice a link?

I believe there is only one.

https://bvsite.smabit.eu/index.php/produkte/smart-home-produkte/zb-funkstick/

thx

EDIT: yes it is the one which the binding webpage shows as well

Are there any ideas how I get it back online?

On fresh install all works for aprox 1h (maybe less) and after it’s going Offline-Gone.

Log is showing nothing relevant.