Zigbee binding

OK, I’m just coming from a place of little knowledge about how Zigbee works and am not entirely sure yet how to ask the right questions/debug. That leads me to a couple of questions.

1. What would be the next step to debug since I get no response when trying to pair the SmartThings motion sensor?

2. What steps can I take to get an unknown/non-supported device (the Iris motion sensor) to pair? SmartThings has a device handler for it that may contain more information about the device.

3. Can you provide any links to help me learn more about Zigbee in general so I can ask better questions (and hopefully contribute instead of just asking)?

I’m not sure to be honest - really, the stick will get no information if it doesn’t join the network. I would reset the device and try again - the ST motion sensor shouldn’t be an issue at least as I’ve paired and reset mine many times during testing.

Get a debug log with full logging. Generally, a device should be supported based on its clusters. Some devices may use special features, or they may do something “fancy” during the initialisation (ie right after they join) and if that doesn’t work they might leave the network - a log will show this (this is what the ST motion and door sensors do so there is special code to handle this).

First port of call could be wiki (as always :wink: ). Then you could do a search for the “ZigBee Cluster Library Specification” which is the main document required when communicating with devices. There are other specs, but the ZCL is the main one.

ZigBee isn’t the simplest protocol out there - the docs are enormous, and there’s a lot under the hood unfortunately. I’m happy to try and answer questions if possible…

Hi,
sorry if I’ve wrote in wrong post, i’m newbie.
Are there new news on using binding with raspbee module?
Thanks
Mirko

No - no news at the moment other than what I wrote earlier.

In reference to my issue of commands sent to Zigbee swtichable outlets not processing after some arbitrary time; after several days of trying, I was finally able to reproduce my issue with logging on. It is one of those issues where it will occur within a couple of hours with logging off, but will take several days to reproduce with logging on. Maybe there is a race condition somewhere. I’ve created a ticket for @chris to review to see if there is something in there.

I have found a bug in the Telegesis driver today that is also present in the Ember driver - I’m just waiting for confirmation (or not :wink: ) that the Telegesis driver is fixed (or better!) and I’ll push the same change into the Ember driver.

Anyhow, I’ll take a look at your log in a minute… Thanks.

No… thank YOU!

also, in looking in the logs i noticed that my contact sensor is updating the temperature every minute which seems bad for battery life, is this something configurable?

So your issue looks the same as this one -:

I’m not 100% sure it will be the same issue I’ve found in the Telegesis driver, but let’s see…

It’s configured to report every 10 minutes - or if the temperature changes by 0.1 degC then every second. Looking at your log, it does seem to report every minute when the temperature is stable, which it shouldn’t do based on the configuration that should be sent. You could check the log during initialisation to see if this is working.

However, I’m not sure that it will change battery very much. ZigBee battery devices are required to wake up every 7 seconds to check for new messages from their parent anyway (ZigBee has a very different way of managing battery devices than ZWave at least!).

Cool, thanks. I’ll try out the new binding when it is ready

i uploaded the initialization of my OH2 system as a new ticket:
“Zigbee Initialization Log - Device reports temperature every minute”.

in case you need it though if it doesn’t hurt the battery too much I’m not worried.

I have looked back through the archived logs and it seems that if one of my devices (ST Motion & ST Contact) is sending temperature every minute, the other one isn’t sending it at all, though the motion & contact messages are working fine.

hmmm… I tried 2.2.0.201801142304 and all my devices are now “OFFLINE Node is not found on network” now. I’ve opened a new ticket with the initialization log.

Hi Chris, should this fix the error that I sent you a few days ago? Is there already a new version that I could test?

I’ve just kicked off a new build so please try that. If it doesn’t help then I’ll take a look at the log, but hopefully it will be ok…

I’ve loaded it and my devices are working, I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’m not sure - you could try an see if it’s improved. One thing I’ve added in the latest version is to reduce the amount of activity during startup, so this might help. I forget about the other issues you had, but I think it’s worth a try as it might be related to his -:

Hi,
newbie question. I’m using the qivicon homebase 2 which has an integrated zigbee modul. Can anybody give me a hint how to configure this? I’, using openHABIAN on my pi2.
Thanks for any suggestion and, for sure, thanks to @chris for the binding at all!
Cheers Ralph

I think that did it… I’ve had the binding running for a couple of days and i can still control the ST outlets and my motion & contact switches are still reporting.

This binding is made specifically for USB sticks which communicate via a COM port. So unless the Qivicon Homebase offers a COM port to communicate through, I don’t think this is the right binding for what you are looking for. I am not familiar with the Homebase, but it seems to me, that it would require a dedicated binding to integrate into Openhab.

As I understand it, Qivicon is a similar product to Openhab, so I don’t think there will be a binding soon. Just because with OH, theoretically, you wouldn’t need Qivicon.

So right now, if you want to control zigbee devices in OH, there are two routes; Either use a hub-type device from the manufacturer of the product, they mostly have dedicated bindings available. Or use a USB stick, and use this generic zigbee binding to control all devices. This binding is still a work in progress though, so it might or might not work for your specific devices. If you only use one brand of zigbee devices, I would use a hub device instead of this binding. For mixing multiple brands, this Zigbee binding might be the most suited though.

Sorry - I will try and look at this when I get a chance. It will be possible to use this with QHB, but I’ve not yet tried to integrate it with any of the QHB devices. If I can find some time I will test it.

1 Like

Hi Chris,
just trying a HUE motion sensor to discover. I’m on version 2.2.0 currently with CC2531 coordinator.
Unfortunately I can not discover the sensor.

The log is neither showing something related to some new zigbee device nor obvious error messages (while having debug for the zigbee bundles enabled of course).

I’ve tried resetting the sensor (very long press on the “setup” button til is lit green) several times, batteries out/in, short press to pair in very short distance to the dongle… nothing helped so far.

Is there something special required to discover the sensor? Should the 2.2.0 release being able to find it or have I to move to 2.3-snapshot?

Thanks in advance :wink: