Zigbee binding

I have been using Nortek/Ember stick, but the reliability is not great. Whenever, the raspberry reboots the Zigbee devices come up offline. I have to pair them again. In contrast the Aeotec Zwave works flawless, 100% reliable on reboots.

Is the Telegesis stick available in USA?

I suspect that the device returned a different type than expected for the request that was made - I donā€™t see any issue here, but without seeing the log itā€™s hard to comment. If you can provide the debug log leading up to this error (say, 10 seconds before) it would be useful.

I doubt that this is a problem with the Ember dongle, but Iā€™m not 100% sure as there are many possible issues.

Iā€™m a bit confused how you can compare - this is a different binding, and a different dongle :confused:. The ZWave binding has been running for many years and is a totally different protocol - the ZigBee binding is still quite new and is under a lot of development at the moment.

Yes, Iā€™m sure it will be, itā€™s available most places. I would not guarantee that the issues would be solved with this change though.

Yes, this looks to be resolved now, thank you. A few bulbs did not come online (they had been before updating), but they finally came up after power cycling them. I havenā€™t needed to do that for a few versions.

Loading the recommended firmware on a CC2531 (found in Z-Stack 1.2.2a) allowed me to operate a Philips HUE compatible RGB LED-lamp from Jiawen.
However, this is the ā€œoldā€ release 1.2 of the Zigbee protocol, as far as I know.

Loading the latest firmware (found in the Zigbee 3.0 compatible Z-Stack 3.0.1 release) on the same CC2531 allowed me to find the same LED-lamp.
Unfortunately, I wasnā€™t able to operate the lamp. A Heiman power socket switch was now detected too, but also found not responding.

As major players like Ikea and Philips are moving to the Zigbee 3.0 standard, is the Zigbee binding for OpenHAB too?
Or is it working already and am I making a mistake in my configuration?

Firstly I can say that yes, we are looking at ZB3 support in the binding. However ZB3 is backward compatible with current versions and I guess the devices that you are using are NOT ZigBee 3 devices?

What you have actually done is to change the firmware in your stick, but you are still controlling ZB-Pro devices. Possibly the CC2531 coordinator driver needs updating to work with a later version of ZNP - as stated in the readme, at the moment it supports a specific version of the firmware and if you change this, then you canā€™t expect things to work.

Thanks for your speedy reply and all the good work youā€™re doing :slight_smile:.
Iā€™m looking forward to the ZB3 binding, as the ZB3 standard is backward compatible with ZB1.x devices.
AFAIK, ZB3 devices most likely will not work with ZB1.x controllers.
IMHO, thatā€™s the reason why the Heiman power sockets are not found with the ZB1.x firmware on the CC2531.
When you have a ZB3 binding ready, Iā€™m eager to help you testing it :grinning:

You are right that ZB3 devices will likely not work with ZB-Pro. This new ZB3 join process will be added over the next month or so.

However Iā€™m surprised if the Heiman power socket is ZB3 - or can you confirm that this is the case? Iā€™ve currently not seen any ZB3 devices - I know some new devices were certified as ZB3 very recently and Iā€™m expecting to receive some soon, but there arenā€™t many devices out there I think.

Can you provide a link to the device?

I have purchased this device: HEIMAN Smart Metering Plug HS2SK-E-EU.
A product description is found here.

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a 100% ZB3 product, but it is found as a ZB-device when using the ZB3 firmware on the CC2531.

I will check its compatibility with the Z-stack 3.0.1 software from Texas Instruments this weekend. And the Xiaome lightning switches will be checked too. I will report my findings by then.

Hope I can be of any help :slight_smile:

If it is a ZB3 device, then you would likely need to use the new install code join method from ZB3 - if you didnā€™t have to do this, then itā€™s probably not ZB3. What software did you use for the joining? If it was OH binding, then again, itā€™s not supported with any coordinator at this time.

It was OH with your ZB-binding. And the Heiman is a ZB1.2 device most likely. I will try to find out if the Heiman is discovered with the ā€œpro-Secureā€ version of the 1.2 firmware this weekend.

As expected by me, OH2 with the provided ZB-binding and the CC2531 with the Z-stack 3.0.1 firmware was not working 100%, let alone supported. Therefore I was inquiring about the timetable of ZB3 implementation and offering my help if any possible.:smiley:.

If itā€™s no working, please provide a log as itā€™s very unlikely to be ZigBee 3 related.

This will be my first post in the OpenHAB forums.

Quick background for context:

• Education: BSEE
  • Career: 25 years in telecommunications support with the past 15 in VoIP.
  • Automation background: HomeSeer based X10 deployment with well over 100 devices and custom scripts. Purchased a new house that came with Control4 system installed that I am now converting to OpenHAB due to licensing and ā€œdealer modelā€ restrictions.

With all that said, I purchased a HUSBZB-1 on Amazon and got that working with OpenHAB2 in a VM. Key notes here are use the latest 2.3 (or later) snapshot, set the baud rate to 57000 and make sure you have proper permissions in linux for serial port access. I can confirm the Nortek HUSBZB-1 will detect and control Control 4 dimmers at the minimum.

Where I am currently falling short, is in the other devices I need to integrate. As noted, this is Control4 so I have two controllers I need to replace and the replacement needs to control not just dimmers but also the Kwikset locks, the CardAccess (now owned by Control4) wireless sensors and the Control4 thermostats.

I have managed to get the Locks and Thermostat to at least join the network but the discovery is lacking. The locks show up but have no channels. The thermostat shows up but only has a battery percent channel. Furthermore, the dimmers show up with a dimmer and 2x battery percent channels (this is since upgrading to 2.3 snapshot, previously the dimmers showed Dimmer and Switch channels).

So I guess my question is this: Before I start digging into code to figure out how to tweak this, is there any documentation on the Zigbee protocol that has been used as the basis for the binding or has it all been trial-n-error? Also, is there a mechanism for creating custom ā€œdevice profilesā€ for the binding that would allow for us to identify specifics but use the binding as a framework?

I am more than willing to help out, in the limited time I have, and have a variety of zigbee devices to test with from Control4 which may open up the possibilities for future interop.

Currently Iā€™ve not added support for these devices.

Are they battery powered switches?

Yes, removal of the switch channels is a reasonably recent enhancement (as is the addition of battery channels).

Yes, the protocol is fully documented :confused:

What do you actually want to define? Currently the concept is the binding should detect the features of a device. I do intend to add the ability to manage this manually in future, but in general it should not be needed. It would help if you can explain your need :wink: .

@chris Hi Chris, I just tested the latest version. Iā€™m getting a lot of those errors:

07-Feb-2018 20:39:49.484 [ERROR] [g.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkStateSerializerImpl] - Error while creating ZigBee persistence folder /var/lib/openhab2/zigbee

I tried deleting the folder /var/lib/openhab2/zigbee completeley and now Iā€™also getting this error:

07-Feb-2018 20:39:49.485 [ERROR] [g.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkStateSerializerImpl] - Error writing network state 
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/lib/openhab2/zigbee/zigbee-network--zigbee_coordinator_ember_19b2af56.xml (Is a directory)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:270) [?:?]
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:213) [?:?]
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:162) [?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkStateSerializerImpl.serialize(ZigBeeNetworkStateSerializerImpl.java:118) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.ZigBeeNetworkManager.addNode(ZigBeeNetworkManager.java:1116) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.updateNode(ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.java:691) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.updateEndpoint(ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.java:669) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.getSimpleDescriptor(ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.java:627) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.access$1100(ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.java:61) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.internal.ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer$3.run(ZigBeeNetworkDiscoverer.java:398) [252:org.openhab.binding.zigbee:2.3.0.201802071834]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

With only 4 lights it works very good, with 10 lights the delay getā€™s much higher and with all lights the delay is more than a minute.

This is as weā€™ve discussed previously a few times - the loading is too high in larger networks and Iā€™m aware itā€™s something that I need to work on.

Answering in order above:

• OK, that may be where I start playing then.

• No, the Control4 dimmers are line powered with no battery so there may be a discover issue there if itā€™s getting something back from the device indicating there are 2 battery statuses.

• Makes sense now. My experience with the 2.2.0 binding was that operating the switch item was not reflected in the dimmer status (ie, turn on the switch and the light went full brightness but the dimmer item still showed 0%).

• Tuesday was a long day so please forgive my ambiguity regarding documentation. This is a two fold question:

1. are you only implementing specific application profiles (ie. HA, LL)
    2. Location of the spec. Granted, I have not yet put a signifcant effort in to finding it but zigbee.org makes it seem like you need to sign up to be a member to access documentation. Again, maybe with a bit more effort I could find it but Iā€™m guessing you probably already found the URL. If you have to sign up to be a member I can do that as well, no worries there just trying to take the easy route :wink:
  • Really, this last update gave me the direction I need. I was thinking you may have been adding specific support per device, but based on this you are using discovery so itā€™s really just a matter of implementing the functionality that is returned in the discovery.

So in the case of the thermostat and locks (my need) Iā€™ll have to focus on whatā€™s being returned in discovery and try to help you out with that implementation. Additionally, the Control4 dimmers have pretty status LEDā€™s on them that you can change the colors. That way if the switches LED does not match your wifeā€™s choice of color in the room, you can change it to something more appropriate. So that is another thing Iā€™ll look into.

Iā€™m in a way just jumping in and didnā€™t really have a plan laid out, as I didnā€™t want to duplicate efforts, but I guess I now have a plan and need to first read the spec and then see if I can help out on the discovery portion.

Wellā€¦ at $4K a year to be an ā€œAdopterā€ thatā€™s a bit outside the realm of DIY research. If you can point me in the right direction for URLā€™s to the spec documentation that would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™ll continue looking.

Found it here (not easily found navigating their website though): http://www.zigbee.org/download/standards-zigbee-specification/

Ok, now back to the paying job for me.

In the readme on Github it says "Note 1: Some bulbs may not work with the Telegesis dongle."
Sonce I am the only one AFAIK who reported using these bulbs (Trust brand), does this mean my bulbs wonā€™t work with the Telegesis dongle?