Zigbee Dongle - Compatible

I know I keep repeating this, but I’ll do so again :wink: . Xiaomi is not compliant to ZigBee so don’t expect it to work 100% (or even at all in the case of some devices).

I don’t anticipate this being supported any time soon - sorry.

Currently you can use the Telegesis ETRX3, or the Digi XStick. Some other devices may work (namely anything with the Ember chip using the standard Ember NCP firmware) but there are no good commercial options available unfortunately (except in the USA).

Hello @chris

thanks for the quick reply. I seem not able to find those two in Germany (at least on eBay, I discover then some dvb-t stuff but not ZigBee).

Would this guy work as well? https://www.ebay.de/itm/CC2531-Sniffer-Protocol-Analyzer-Wireless-Module-USB-Interfac-For-Zigbee-DE/391824481509

I read on the binding site it would require a firmware flash, but that seems pretty well documented and I have an Ubuntu machine here, so I assume that would work.

Any news on the ConBee stick? That one was the first that Google returned to me when I searched for ZigBee and Raspberry Pi.

Thanks a lot.

Ah - by the way. Has anybody been successful with Osram Smart+ bulbs adding to IKEA Tradfri gateway? That would be the best solution, if that worked.

Other online shops are also available :wink:

https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/digi-international/XU-Z11/602-1144-ND/2199598
http://de.farnell.com/silicon-labs/etrx357usb-8m/zigbee-transceiver-modul-2-4ghz/dp/2442933?st=etrx3

Maybe. In principal yes, it will work if you have the correct firmware. You may also need to buy the programmer to load the firmware. Personally, I try and avoid recommending this stick as it is more DIY and it can be problematic to program with the correct firmware, but if you want to try, then it may be a little cheaper once you have bought the card and programmer.

Thanks @chris

I googled for it but must have overseen that vendor. Thanks a lot.

I just realized that with a bit more patience (and a fresh battery :wink: ) the IKEA remote can also be paired and control the Osram bulb (tested it). I’ll check later whether it can actually then be included in the IKEA gateway. In that case I wouldn’t need an extra device.

Okay - just as a quick update and for the case anybody is interested: I managed to include the Osram Smart+ bulb in the IKEA Tradfri gateway as any other IKEA bulb. Dimmer works without issues. Colors, however, are shown in the app but regardless of which I chose, the bulb turns only to either cold white or warm white without any nouances visible to me.

So principally it works and the dim-only bulbs are for me now definitely an option over the Tradfri bulbs, as Amazon sold them yesterday at same price, but to drive to IKEA is far and more expensive than ordering the Osram at Amazon :slight_smile:

Mine are working on CC2531 with firmware CC2531ZNP-Pro-Secure_LinkKeyJoin.hex, see:

How (which menu / command) did you get any (hue/iris) zigbee devices included in openhab? The zigbee stick is configured but I can not find any menu how to “include” devices to the CC2531 zigbee controller.

The following was done and is working:

• FW flashed CC2531ZNP-Pro-Secure_Standard.hex
  • added openhab user to group dialout and tty
    => GUI: Configuration=>Things=>CC2531EMK Coordinator turns green.

Usually, you have to reset your bulbs and then start the zigbee discovery of the zigbee binding (paper-UI -> inbox -> “+” -> ZigBee Binding).

In case of the Hue bulbs, a Hue Zigbee remote is quite useful to reset the bulbs. Other manufactures (Osram Lightify, Ikea Tradfri) have the option of cycling the power multiple times to reset (“unpair”) their devices.

That helped! After starting the discovery the logs shows:
[bee.discovery.ZigBeeDiscoveryService] - Starting ZigBee scan for zigbee:coordinator_cc2531:fa450351
[tsystems.zigbee.ZigBeeNetworkManager] - Permit join to 65532/0 for 60 seconds.

Unfortunately I do have a Phillips IRIS Living Color Gen2 Lamp, which uses Zigbee but seems to be different in behavior than standard HUE products. More reading and trying needed on my side.

After trying to include several times (without any obvious failure reasons), now the Phillips IRIS light is succesfully included in OpenHab.

Any news on the Qivicon Stick? I have read on another thread that there were users capable of making it work? But did not find much more apart from that or any documentation on how to make it work.

What news are you looking for? It has been supported now for about 6 months on Linux.

It is the same as the Telegesis dongle (it IS a Telegesis dongle).

Oh, did not know that, thanks for the update!

Is there a list of supported sticks/some documentation? I guess most users don’t know that it is a Telegesis dongle and also you wrote above (Zigbee Dongle - Comptabile) that the hardware and firmware probably is a bit different.

Only the binding documentation. This lists the coordinators that are supported.

Possibly you are right. There are many rebadged dongles out there, especially for the Ember, but you are right that this could be added to the docs if someone fancies adding a PR.

Note that it probably won’t work on Windows, and doesn’t work on Mac - this is only supported on Linux. This is because DT have used custom PID codes in the USB interface, so it is not detected as a serial port, and no driver is installed.

Yes, found that documentation, but as a normal user that was a bit too generic :slight_smile:

I can add a PR for that, although I don’t know other devices to add to the list. Also some might require additonal steps and don’t work out of the box? Then a table could be added for some sticks as well, so it is easier to see which sticks are working and how to set them up.

I am running on a Raspberry Pi, so that would work, great!

I would just add the devices that you know of - don’t try and make a huge list. Others can of course add their devices.

The Telegesis/Qivicon should not require additional steps. Really, I don’t think any devices should - the binding should perform all the configuration that is needed.

Yes, I think the Qivicon should work with the Pi right out of the box. It should even be detected by the binding when you plug the device in, so installation should be simple.

(oh, and thanks for improving the docs :slight_smile: ).

Currently I only know one :slight_smile: but I can look in the forum or here to find more confirmed devices.

Ok. I think I had the TI devices in mind which seem to require flashing, but that is already in the docs, as I just saw.

Created a PR now: https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zigbee/pull/217

For a future PR an example of a textual configuration might be helpful in the docs as well.