Zigbee serial port error message

Every once in a while I see this warning below with the Nortek HUSBZB Zigbee. But I don’t notice any bad behavior around this time. Should I be worried about this? Anything to do about it? The Zigbee network is extremely small here: just one device and the controller. The device is a Third Reality switch.

2020-02-12 12:47:21.398 [WARN ] [ding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort] - Processing DATA_AVAILABLE event: received IOException in serial port event
java.io.IOException: Expected to be able to read 8 bytes, but saw error after 7
        at org.openhab.binding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort.serialEvent(ZigBeeSerialPort.java:303) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.serial.rxtx.RxTxSerialPort$1.serialEvent(RxTxSerialPort.java:81) [bundleFile:?]
        at gnu.io.RXTXPort.sendEvent(RXTXPort.java:780) [bundleFile:3.15.0.OH2]
        at gnu.io.RXTXPort.eventLoop(Native Method) [bundleFile:3.15.0.OH2]

This happens less than once a day.

57600, XON/XOFF.

Does it work more stable at 38400? I have not used mine for Zigbee.

If it doesn’t cause problems, then I guess not :wink:

Not that I can think of. If you enable debug, it might show a bit more info, but it seems like the frame will be lost and the system ought to retry.

You can’t run at 38400 - well - at least not without different firmware, and AFAIK it’s not possible to update the firmware in the HSUBZB.

1 Like

OK, I looked at the docs and it indicated that was the lowest for Ember chips. The doc also said lower speeds and software flow control might be needed but they already have that turned on.

Is the stick directly connected or through a hub or cable? If not directly connected, something may be mangling some bits.

What docs? You mean for the doc for this device?

Maybe this device has the ability to change the speed, but that’s not a standard feature of the stack. The stack sets this at compile time, so I guess they may have modified this somehow.

Yes, normally this is the 57600 speed is used for software flow control. Again though, if the manufacturer has changed the firmware from the standard, then it could well be different. I’ve just not come across this before and I use these devices a lot.

1 Like

OH Zigbee Binding.

Ah - I thought you meant for this device - the HUSBZB-1.

The binding docs are generic - they cover the capability of the different Ember implementations out there, but the binding needs to be configured appropriately for the device. If the device works at 57600, then you need to configure the binding to the same speed or it won’t work.

1 Like