Zigbee (Telegesis) coordinator won't detect my devices (Trådfri bulbs)

Thats all perfectly normal and expected. The binding is simply sending commands to the coordinator and the coordinator is responding.

Ok, good.

So I just plugged the dongle back into my computer, sent an AT+N to see that I was connected and then I connected the bulb. That gave me the below sequence:

AT+N

+N=COO,11,-07,4445,88B437C3BC13DF89

OK

NEWNODE:B198,D0CF5EFFFEC0C9B4,0000

NEWNODE:7320,D0CF5EFFFEC0C9B4,0000

NEWNODE:47A8,D0CF5EFFFEC0C9B4,0000

NEWNODE:CF62,D0CF5EFFFEC0C9B4,0000

After waiting a minute to see that nothing more shows up I unplugged the bulb for a few seconds and reconnected it. It then gave me another four NEWNODE messages with new random addresses.
I then unplugged the bulb, moved the dongle back to my OH setup, connected the bulb and within a second started a discovery sequence in OH. I repeated the test twice, giving the two attached logs.
openhab_5.log (70.8 KB)
openhab_6.log (122.2 KB)

I can’t see anything indicating that the NEWNODE’s are handled?

I moved the dongle to the PC and re-did the test and another four NEWNODE comes up! One thing I noticed was that when I’m connected to the PC I can see the NEWNODE’s comming in with a few seconds in between, and after the second NEWNODE the bulb gives a blink, just like when you resets it. This does not happen when the dongle is connected to OH! Any ideas why that can be?

No - we don’t process this as the node has not joined. Once the node joins, then we process frames. I’m not sure why it’s not joining - any chance you can get a sniffer log?

I suppose I need some new HW for that?

Yes, you would need some sort of sniffer dongle.

Any recommendations?

I normally recommend the Ember dongle, but these aren’t easily available in Europe. There is a Bitron one that might work (sold by DT). I’m not 100% sure it has the right firmware, but it probably does.

The Ember dongle I find is available, but obsolete:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/silicon-labs/RD-0002-0201/336-3333-ND/5399115

According to your document: https://www.cd-jackson.com/downloads/ZigBeeWiresharkSniffer.pdf
the CC2531 dongle found on element14 could work: https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-40527/l/cc2531-usb-evaluation-module-kit#overview
Is that still valid?

There are versions that are not obsolete, but the reason I didn’t recommend this is you need to have the developer kit which costs a lot of money. Otherwise it has no firmware when it is delivered.

If you can’t find the DT one, then I guess I can get you one of the CEL sticks. My only concern about the DT ones is it will only work with Linux, and I’m not 100% sure it has the right firmware (I have one here, but as I have a Mac I’ve never tested it).

I have personally never used this so I can’t confirm this.

I suppose the DT one could work on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian on it? Then that could be a viable solution…

It should work on a Pi - I think in the binding docs there are instructions for adding the IDs to the serial driver.

Hi,

@Hydropower, This USB stick on Amazon is an Ember dongle and I can confirm that it works well on a Raspberry running OpenHab 2.4.0 on OpenHABian. I should make no difference if you use Raspbian.

It worked straight out of the box for me with the binding (i.e. I did not have to add the ID to the serial driver) and I have successfully paired it with an IKEA Floalt panel, a regular Trådfri bulb and a Trådfri remote control.

Thanks a lot for the work on the binding @chris!

1 Like

Ok, after some time to get the stuff and a lot of time spent on other stuff I finally got a zigbee sniffer up and running! See session here, starting with a reset of the bulb (turning the bulb on/off six times, giving 6+1 beacons with EPID TexasIns_00:08:d8:23:43 (00:12:4b:00:08:d8:23:43)) followed by a discovery scan from OH. PaperUI says the Telegesis dongle is in PAN ID 17477 and extended PAN ID 88B437C3BC13DF89.
Is there anything in here that can give a clue?

Regards,
Henrik

@chris, can you see anything in above post?

Thanks

Please provide the network key and I will take a look.

Sorry for being a complete moron, but where will I find the network key?

@chris Ok, found it in the log-file! 83E7516E61C1B5B8646CB699147C5A07

The key should be displayed in the coordinator setup, but anyway, you found it :slight_smile:

There are no association requests in the log, so it looks like the binding is not being put into discovery mode (at least not in this log). Are you starting discovery?

From the best of my understanding yes… I start a search for new zigbee devices from the inbox, it rolls with searching for a minute or so and then gives up.

Ok, sounds fine, but then the log doesn’t seem to be for that time as there is no joinEnable being sent which is the first thing to happen, and then no devices trying to join.