Zooz Zen23 V4

I’m not sure how that will help here? We need to know the type/id of the device.

The new device is the same hardware and software version. If I cannot determine the id then I will work it out with Zooz.

That seems unlikely doesn’t it? If it’s the same hardware, and the same software as previously, then why did it work before and not now. The NIF is very limited in this device, so my guess is that this is a new software version at the very least. Also, if it’s the same software, why is this V4, where the previous report I see in the images above shows V3? Something seems to have changed as far as I can see?

Since the device is not reporting the manufacturer specific class, the binding was not downloading this data. I’ve now updated the binding to force this.

I do have a V4 device coming to verify though.

Which I assume is different to the V3 device :wink:

There is a hardware change, possibly software too…

VER. 4.0: No heat sink tabs for easier in-box fit, same great features

I have been using a V3 device for over a year. The first one I had did fail mechanically and has a software oddity though.

I understood the OP has a mix of V3 & V4 and the V4 one does not work.

Exactly - this is why I’m having trouble believing they are the same hardware and software :confused:

The V4 has it’s own firmware. Here is the changelog:

VER. 4.0 (released 9/2020)

Hardware:

• Removed side heat sink tabs

Firmware: 4.0

• Changed the toggle sequence for enabling smart bulb mode (aka disabling the relay / physical control) to 4-down-and-hold for 10 seconds (toggle down-down-down-down’n’hold)

VER. 4.01 (released 10/2020 as OTA)

Firmware: 4.01

• Changed power outage behavior in smart bulb mode
  • Applied timers to status reports in smart bulb mode
  • Improved single-tap and long-tap timing for scene control triggers

Not really much info but it confirms there is a different firmware.

1 Like

The instructional changes alone may require a new database entry.

I have a feeling that this device is a rebadged GoControl device that is showing exactly the same problem. This device may therefore be unusable with OH if it is the same - sorry.

The sample should be here Monday evening.

Apparently @5iver is our official Zooz contact. The order number is Rushworth-07 LOL

Cool! Where is it shipping?

The XML files look the same, so I expect these are the same device, and therefore it will not work with openHAB. I think that it is probably not ZWave compliant.

to ME

Their fine support staff can help us sort that out with the engineers then.

@apella12 please try a secure inclusion - it may be that this device is not responding to this command class unless it is securely included. The spec states that this should be supported without security if S0 security is used, but it doesn’t state what must happen if NO security is used. I would have expected it should respond, but maybe it doesn’t.

I apologize in advance if this is messed up.

When I first included the device along with two other things (post #5) I was using Simplicity studio and was asked about security and don’t remember what I clicked, but the device did have an orange bar in the SS app (unlike my other devices). However, when I put it into Openhab, it did not resolve. Based on a suggestion from Scott, I excluded and included using OH, with the same result. This morning I stopped OH, put the stick in SS and set Security to SO
Screenshot 2020-10-17 091929

The log entries in OH on startup were;

2020-10-17 09:23:58.801 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 56: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2020-10-17 09:24:09.983 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 56: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.

As mentioned above I currently have this in a location where it is okay to use in manual mode. I could return the V4 and get a V3 that works (for what I need), if this doesn’t get sorted. Like Bruce, I have had good luck with the Smartest House support.

Also, and I’m sure this is not relevant, but although I can’t configure the device(for ON/OFF, I can heal it and it shows 13 neighbors.

Bob

I would suggest not to use SS - at least not for inclusion. Secure inclusion really should be done with the binding unless you know what you’re doing and transferring over the keys?

The best thing is to exclude it, and include through OH, but you need to first set the security mode (I think that’s what it’s called) in the controller to All Devices - not just locks/security devices which is the default.

I think this might work if you use security, but based on the logs I’ve seen from the other device (that I think Zooz have rebadged) I don’t think it will work if you don’t use security which is why the binding is still not finding it.

The short version of a long story is that I had trouble running my Zwave network on a Rpi4 with an SSD attached to the USB3. It seemed like there was interference or at a minimum very sluggish performance. After weeks of frustration and trying every possible combination, I set up the OH Z-wave network on the Rpi3 and the camera binding on the RPI4 (with the SSD boot option). Zwave is running very fast (seconds to heal or reinitialize) and I’m working on setting up an event bus to send Z-wave triggers to the cameras. Anyway, with all due respect, I don’t want to mess with the Zwave security at this point, until Bruce has a chance to play with the device. Honestly I’d rather return the device.

Bob