ZW062 Aeon + Raspberry PI

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspeberry PI 3
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: latest probably
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue

Hi I’m planning to buy the ZW062 Aeon to control and check my garage door. I would like to start with a Raspberry PI 3 installation and this mentioned device and I have few questions:

• do I also need a zwave adapter as mentioned here: https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zwave/
  • can you raccomend and adapter working with Raspberry PI?
  • my garage is reached by the home wifi, is this enough for the adapter in case to get the signal?

nick

Yes.

The Aeon Gen 5 is pretty popular. There is also one that sits as a HAT on the RPi but you will have less flexibility with that as it will only work on an RPi, should you realize you need to move to some other platform later.

Any controller with the zwave logo will work just fine though.

Zwave is a completely different wireless networking protocol. You can’t compare them to wifi. One thing to realize is that zwave is a mesh network so the more devices you have, the better your coverage. I’m going from memory but I believe in the ideal case zwave has a range of 30 M per hop and up to four hops. But that’s the ideal case. Your range will depend on the number of walls, what they are made of, interference, and a whole host of variables that will be unique to your home.

Hi, I’m in UK and I’m struggling finding a shop selling AEON products, can you suggest in case a similar product from other brands? I mainly looking to understand if the garage door is open or close from inside my home, but the addition of opening and closing it was a good option.

nick

HI Nicola,

Take a look here. They have loads of products. I’ve bought a number of my Z-Wave devices from them, they also have a great deal of knowledge articles to help you along. I also have the ZW062, although I’m only using a few of the features. It does the job well.

Regards,

Garry

Hi,

yes they are the on of the dealer recommended in the Aeon Labs website for UK but the ZW062 is out of stock at now. I will look for similar products from them

nick

I’m not sure you’ll find an alternative that works in the UK, we really are limited. My advice would be to wait for them to come back into stock @ Vesternet. Give them a call, they may be able to help you further.

Hi,

@Vesternet they don’t know when it will be back in stock; they are suggesting:

I suppose I can skip the controller using Raspberry PI (OpenHab) + z-wave stick and keep the relay and the sensor.
Is this a feasible solution or do you suggest others apart from waiting the original item get back in stock?

Cheers

It really all depends on how comfortable you feel about building a solution this way. For me I just wanted something off the shelf that I could plug in and worked.

If you are willing to DIY, an ESP8266 running Tasmota or an RPi0w running a script (I created https://github.com/rkoshak/sensorReporter initially to do exactly this.

To sense a garage door opener and control it is about as simple as it gets in terms of GPIO stuff. Install one or two reed sensors (two if you want confirmation when the door is fully opened), a relay, some wires, and a way to sense the reed sensors and send voltage to the garage door button.

I initially followed a tutorial similar to this one.

If using an ESP8266 I recommend using a NodeMCU and either Tasmota or ESPEasy as the firmware. They will be the easiest to work with pin wise and there won’t be any programming required, just configuration through a browser. Though you will need to shop around to find a relay that can switch off of 3.5v instead of 5v since I don’t think the NodeMCU has a 5v power pin. The RPi does have 5v power pins and 3.5v power pins.

If you are not in a hurry, the wires will be the most expensive part of the build since you have to run wires from the controller to both the garage door and the wall button (or opener itself). I used speaker wire because that is what I had on hand and it works just fine. Cat-5/6 would probably be more cost effective.