Zwave - aeon labs ms4in1 no data


I’m not receiving any sensor data from my aeon labs ms4in1 anymore.
I had to replace my vision zwave usb adapter with the aeon labs zstick gen5. While I was at it I thought it would be a good idea to update the ms4in1 firmware to v.1.8, I used the aeon labs windows update tool to do so. I’m starting to worry now that it wasn’t a good idea at all and that I screwed something up:
The ms4in1 node seems to be working fine, I can add and remove it to the zstick gen5 without any problems. Adjusting parameters seems to be working too. However I’m not receiving any sensor data from the device. Only when starting the binding it sends (incorrect) pir data once, but then it seems to go silent.
My best guess updating the node’s firmware screwed something up, but this kind of stuff goes far beyond my paygrade, so I was hoping someone could help me out here.

ms4in1 items:

Number sensor_1_woonkamer_temp “Temperature [%.1f °C]” { zwave=“6:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=1” }
Number sensor_1_woonkamer_humidity “Humidity [%.0f %%]” { zwave=“6:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=5” }
Number sensor_1_woonkamer_luminance “Luminance [%.0f Lux]” { zwave=“6:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=3” }
Contact sensor_1_woonkamer_motion “Sensor [MAP(]” { zwave=“6:command=sensor_binary,respond_to_basic=true” }

node6_debug.pdf (42.1 KB)
zwave_debug.pdf (383.1 KB)




If you’ve reset the module (probably you did if you had to include it to a new stick?) then the sensor will likely not send sensor data until you re-enable it using (from memory) parameters 100-103 (depending on what association group you use.

Hi Chris,

Thanx for the reply. Yes by excluding the module I reset it, and after including it I configured the parameters, I guess that all works. However there is no sensor data showing up in openHAB. I reconfigured the parameters, and took a look at the debug log (openhab_debug.pdf (206.8 KB)), but I can’t see anything suspicious… Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem?


It’s really difficult to view logs as a PDF since the wordwrapping makes it difficult to read and I can’t easily paste it into my log viewer application. Is it possible to post it as a text file? Alternatively, I guess the question is - are you seeing messages from the device with the sensor data?

The other possible problem is the association is not set.

Can you paste the XML file for this node in here?

Hi Chris,

Thanx for the reply. Sorry for the pdf, the forum is quite picky on that. I attached the text file, I had to add ‘.pdf’ to the file’s name to be able to upload it.
openhab_debug.txt.pdf (308.3 KB)
node6.xml (7.4 KB)


Looking at the XML, it seems to indicate there are 2 misconfigurations. Firstly, you need to configure parameter 101. Currently this is set to 32, so only temperature will be sent. The manual says the following bits need to be set -:

Temperature=32, Humidity=64, Lightlevel=128, Battery=1.

So, if you want all of these sensors, you need to add each bit together and set parameter 101 to this.

Secondly, it also shows that association group 1 isn’t set. This needs to be set to node 1 - ie the controller.

Both of these settings need to be configured before you’ll get the data.

Hi Chris,

Thanx for the reply. Setting the association group did the trick. I completely missed out on that one, which is stupid of me because I have set this parameter before.

Thanx again and cheers,


Cool :smile:

I’ve now configured this to be automatically set in the database…