ZWave association with no updates

I saw @chris saying a while ago too close is also bad …

5cm would be bad, 5ft will be ok… You just need to be far enough away that the transmitter from one device doesn’t overload the receiver on the other…

Plus like i said, the switch works fine. I can trigger changes from OpenHab and all that. It just isn’t updating in OpenHab when I physically change the switch.

Ok, so it’s using the CENTRAL_SCENE class. I think you want to use something like -:

Dimmer  Light_DiningRoom        "Dining Room [%s %%]"   {zwave="2:command=CENTRAL_SCENE,scene=1,key=0"}

You can omit the key part if you want in which case your item will be given the value of the key. If you use key= then the value will be 1 or 0 depending on whether or not the scene has this key value.

This is normal - it simply means that the received frame didn’t complete a transaction. You’ll see this whenever a frame is received that the controller didn’t request.

Thanks for clarifying. I almost never switch to debug mode because the zwave binding is working without any errors …

I’m new to this, so I’m not even sure what a scene is so bear with me…

That didn’t work. These are dimmers if that makes a difference, not binary switches. These switches support single, double, or triple taps, as well as holding for setting dimmer level.

I saw a binding in the examples for a Fibaro Universal Dimmer which looks like it might be similar, but I have no idea how to determine what values to use here. Is there better documentation you might point me to on scenes and how to configure them correctly? Do I need to make an item for each of these scenes and use rules to do something when I receive them?

I’m not completely sure - normally a scene is a ‘value’ - ie not a dimmer type value, but a fixed value (eg - run scene number 1). So, maybe this device can be configured to send either central scene or multilevel switch - I’m not sure and you’d need to look in the device manual to see if there’s any configuration.

Take a look in the log - the line that I showed you above tells you what the device is sending.

Hopefully you don’t need a rule if you can get it to send the multilevel switch class - otherwise it might get messy :frowning:.

I have a feeling its going to get Messy then. I imagine if this were configurable the options would show up in HABmin? Because all I have is an orientation settings and a couple around changing stepping levels for the dimmer.

Even on the HomeSeer site it says:

IMPORTANT: HS-WD100+ and HS-WS100 provide instant status feedback and double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold functionality using the Z-Wave “central scene” command class. The feature is supported by all HomeSeer systems, including HS3 software and HomeTroller controllers. If you’re using another brand of controller, be sure to check with that manufacturer to see if the central scene features are supported.

Any idea where I should start? I’m a developer by trade, so I’m not afraid of getting my hands dirty here, just have no idea where to start.

What are the devices you are trying to use? Is it just the WD100 (you said HomeSeer and GE devices in the top message, but didn’t say what ones).

HomeSeer dimmer: HS-WD100+
The GE isn’t relevant. It doesn’t support association.

I do see that just doing refresh_interval to something like once every 10 seconds works fine. Obviously that kind of defeats the purpose of buying such nice switches though, as I specifically was looking for ones that did associations. It will work for now, but if I can make this work in a better way, I totally want to.

My guess at how this works is that the device can’t be used to send multilevel_switch commands - it will only receive them - that’s a complete guess based on the following statement in the manual -:

HomeSeer users: this switch creates 3 devices; a root device, central scene device and control device.
The root device may be used to manage Z-Wave settings.
The central scene device may be used as a trigger for events.
The control device will will send on / off / dim commands to the switch.

This seems to indicate the central scene gets sent from the switch, but dimming (ie multilevel_switch) only gets sent TO the switch.

Which would jive with what I’m seeing. I can send updates, I just don’t get any back. Does that mean that I need to do something like the following:

1. Create an item that handles receive of a CENTRAL_SCENE command
  2. Write a rule that takes this and sets the status for the device in OpenHab

I mean sounds like if I want to use the double, triple tap stuff I’d need to do that anyway, so Id be fine with doing this for the general reporting too. Would the above actually cause a loop though, or is there something I can do in an OpenHab rule that sets the status of an item without actually SENDING that status to the thing again?

Any idea how I would identify which CENTRAL_SCENE message is the one I want, and how I get a number (percentage) out of it for such a setup?

My guess is that you can’t get a percentage from the central_scene class - it is normally only used to send event notifications so that you can trigger a ‘scene’ (which is normally a preset configuration of lights etc).

The only thing I can suggest is to check the log and see what comes out - if the information doesn’t come from the device, we’re a bit lost unfortunately.

If you want to get the status of the switch, you could try adding the refresh_interval=15 command to the item definition for the multilevel_switch command and see if that works - it might give you the value, it just won’t be immediately updated when you flick the switch.

Hi, Chris,

I’m not seeing the desired results when a scene command is generated by an HS-WS100+.

Configuration:
OH1.8.2, HABmin 1.4.0.201504061533, org.openhab.binding.zwave 1.9.0.201612010210

Device: HomeSeer HS-WS100+ (node 15)

Here’s the log for a typical single tap of the device (grep’d for only NODE 15):

2016-12-03 15:24:09.081 [DEBUG] [ApplicationCommandMessageClass:41  ]- NODE 15: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
2016-12-03 15:24:09.082 [DEBUG] [ApplicationCommandMessageClass:146 ]- NODE 15: Incoming command class CENTRAL_SCENE (0x5b)
2016-12-03 15:24:09.083 [DEBUG] [.ZWaveCentralSceneCommandClass:77  ]- NODE 15: Received central scene command (v1)
2016-12-03 15:24:09.085 [DEBUG] [.ZWaveCentralSceneCommandClass:84  ]- NODE 15: Received scene 1 ; key 0
2016-12-03 15:24:09.086 [DEBUG] [b.z.i.protocol.ZWaveController:668 ]- NODE 15: Notifying event listeners: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
2016-12-03 15:24:09.088 [DEBUG] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding:472 ]- NODE 15: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = CENTRAL_SCENE, value = {key=0, scene=1}

And here’s what happens when I tap twice on the “ON” side of the pad:

2016-12-03 15:29:24.978 [DEBUG] [ApplicationCommandMessageClass:41  ]- NODE 15: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
2016-12-03 15:29:24.980 [DEBUG] [ApplicationCommandMessageClass:146 ]- NODE 15: Incoming command class CENTRAL_SCENE (0x5b)
2016-12-03 15:29:24.982 [DEBUG] [.ZWaveCentralSceneCommandClass:77  ]- NODE 15: Received central scene command (v1)
2016-12-03 15:29:24.984 [DEBUG] [.ZWaveCentralSceneCommandClass:84  ]- NODE 15: Received scene 1 ; key 3
2016-12-03 15:29:24.985 [DEBUG] [b.z.i.protocol.ZWaveController:668 ]- NODE 15: Notifying event listeners: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
2016-12-03 15:29:24.988 [DEBUG] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding:472 ]- NODE 15: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = CENTRAL_SCENE, value = {key=3, scene=1}

So, thought I, I’ll use what I’ve seen elsewhere and try to capture some of these events with items that looks like this:

Switch  GarageLights    "Garage Lights"            {zwave="15:command=SWITCH_BINARY" }
Switch  GarageLights_S1	"Garage Lights_Scene 1T"   {zwave="15:command=CENTRAL_SCENE,scene=1"}
Switch  GarageLights_S2	"Garage Lights_Scene 2T"   {zwave="15:command=CENTRAL_SCENE,scene=2"}
Switch  GarageLights_S3	"Garage Lights_Scene 3T"   {zwave="15:command=CENTRAL_SCENE,scene=3"}
Switch  GarageLights_S4	"Garage Lights_Scene 3T"   {zwave="15:command=CENTRAL_SCENE,scene=4"}

(I actually had “key” values in there before, but tried simplifying when that didn’t work, either.)

I made a rule that looks like this:

rule "Garage Lights Switch Update"
	when 
		Item GarageLights_S1 received update or
		Item GarageLights_S2 received update or
		Item GarageLights_S3 received update or
		Item GarageLights_S4 received update or
		Item GarageLights received update
	then
		logInfo("GLSM", "Got an update from the Garage Lights switch.")
end

I get a log entry when I command GarageLights on from the sitemap, and it occasionally fires off on its own when the network burps or something (not sure what causes it), but I never can trigger this rule with the CLASS_SCENE things like I thought I should be able to based on what was described above.

Any ideas what’s not quite right here?

Thanks,
Bill

I’m not sure a SWITCH makes sense for a scene - and it might have problems with the converter. I’d try changing it to a number and see what happens… It’s the only thing I can think of at the moment, so hopefully it’s right ;).

Good point, so I tried NUMBER. Neither of them caused the rule to trigger.

But then I moved the rule from one rule file to the “main” rule file, from “106shr-garage.rules” to “106shr.rules” and it works now. Both files update with no errors when saved, so I’m not sure what the difference between the two is, though I have not proven that the secondary rule file ever worked, so I have some troubleshooting to do.

Many thanks!

I’m not using OpenHAB anymore, I moved to ZWay to handle the ZWave components of my system… but here’s how I handled it there.

As was pointed out, scenes are more for command / event push notifications. So I just wrote a small module that listens for scene calls, and triggers a poll of the device state after three seconds (for dimmer ramping). This gave me push based updates, but requires one additional poll on the zwave network, but its better than polling the entire network unnecessarily every X minutes.

If there’s a way to do that in OpenHAB with rules, that’s probably what I’d do there.

Note: I don’t use the double / triple tap scenes from my switches, so I don’t know if that would introduce any issues with this approach.

That’s a good idea. I wonder if anyone knows how to do this rule…
I just got OpenHAB and 2 WD-100’s under the assumption i’d be able to capture the dim value everytime the switch is manually dimmed.

Apparently not :frowning:

I was hoping to link two dimmers (one in house, the other in garage) so i can control soffit lighting on each building remotely and together.

Hi, Chris,

Is WD-100 the model number of the dimmer that you bought, or is it WD-100+? (I have no idea if the WD-100 was ever a product, but do know that the WD-100+ is.) HomeSeer apparently uses the “+” to denote support for Z Wave Plus, and only these models and a few others from Leviton (I think it is) support instant update which should, one would think, let the controller know that something changed out at the switch.

I saw your other post and I’m starting to get a little bit familiar with the HomeSeer products myself. Since I’m curious, too, head over to that posting where I’ve asked for some more info, and maybe we can all learn something together.

/Bill

Sorry, these are WD-100+ switches. I responded in my other thread with 2 snips of the logs using the paddles to dim up / down. Let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to try!