ZWave association with no updates

I suspect that you need to be using the 1.9 ZWave binding. You can just update the binding - the runtime can stay the same.

Updated the binding to 1.9, and now the device correctly shows in Habmin. However, I’m getting a slightly different error message now:

2016-12-21 11:21:06.547 [WARN ] [.b.z.i.c.ZWaveConverterHandler] - No command class found for item = KitchenZ_1TU, command class name = central_scene, using 0 refresh interval.

Not sure if this matters, but “CENTRAL_SCENE” is not showing up in the Information drop down in Habmin

The case won’t matter. I’m not sure why you would get this error. The 1.9 source definitely has this class and I’m pretty sure people are using it…

Did you get the binding from cloudbees?

Yes, I downloaded from this link: https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB1-Addons/org.openhab.binding$org.openhab.binding.zwave/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/org.openhab.binding/org.openhab.binding.zwave/1.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Delete the XML file for this device and restart OH. It’s possible (likely!) that it’s not included as it’s cached the command classes and it won’t therefore see the new class.

Where can I find that XML file? /opt/openhab/…

Edit: NVM, found it, in /opt/openhab/etc/zwave/

Chiming into revive an older thread here for some clarification.

I’m currently on GE switches 12xxx series, that aren’t not supporting instant status. I wanted to check here as I see a few folks who apparently are testing/using the HomeSeer HS-WS100+ and HS-WD100+ devices. Are these successfully reporting back via instant status? There seems to be some positive news relative to the newer firmware supporting report back of the SWITCH_MULTILEVEL via ASSOCIATIONS which I believe to understand as the requirement for instant status updates in OH.

My problem is that I’d like my dimmers/switches to report their manual change at the switch instantly to OH. I thought Leviton was the only switch that could do this, but it seems the HS devices will support this - looking to just get some confirmation from other OH users before I order $1k+ of these devices.

@Python it seems you were the one blazing the trail here that I followed from another thread as well with updating using the demo HS3 software for the OTA update. Hopefully you can confirm/deny my assumption above.

Out of the box this does not work. You will need to update the firmware on the switches to 5.16. This firmware isn’t released yet but support gave it to me. You can perform this update with HS3 demo software that is valid for 30days. Theres one bug in the software which is why they havent released it – once you perform an OTA update it loses it’s association with the controller and you need to include it again. But once it’s updated you’re good to go!

Once you have this firmware installed any change in dimmer value is reported back to OH. This includes virtually changing the dimmer value as well as using the physical up and down paddles. Anytime that switch changes OH knows the value instantly.

I HIGHLY recommend these switches to anyone with that update. Between instant status (after OTA update) and the double/tripple tap scene control gives you so many options! The only thing I wish they had was a way to change teh LED colors on the dimmer value indicator. Would work as a unreal notification for specific tasks i’m doing (eg. a timer running). Trying to figure out a better way to do that so i know when a timer is running to auto-turn off the lights.

I’m going to be ordering more switches and plan on doing a full documented video of my setup which i think a lot of people would enjoy and give some insight into how you can integrate these switches.

Here’s a quick demo i posted on FB demonstrating my setup. Still need to get 2 more switches to control the rest of my lighting so ignore the unmatched switches for now :slight_smile:

In a quick nutshell this is utilizing the instant status reported back to OH to control a second switch in my detached garage which is my soffit lighting.

When double tapping the switch ON, it will sync dimmer value between both switches. If i change the dimness on this switch, its reported to the second switch in the garage and changes that value as well.

I have since integrated this switch a lot further which i’m waiting to show once i have the other switches installed.

My rule for dimmer switch in OH2:

//***********************************************************************************************************************************************
// 													DRIVEWAY SOFFIT DIMMER SCENE CONTROL	 													*
//***********************************************************************************************************************************************

/* House Side Dimmer SCENE Control -- Scene Tap Selection Syncing */	
rule "House Soffit Side Dimmer: Scene Tap Selection Syncing"
    when
        Item Light_House_Soffit_Scene received update
    then
		switch(Light_House_Soffit_Scene.state) {
			/*ON*/
			case 1.0 : {							/* Single Tap ON */
				logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Single Press ON")
					//CANCEL OFF TIMER CREATED FROM DOOR OPEN BY PRESSING UP ONCE
					if (tHouseDoor !=null) {
							tHouseDoor.cancel()
							logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Canceling tHouseDoor Timer. Single Press Up Received")
							tHouseDoor= null
					}
			    }
			case 1.3 : {							/* Double Tap ON */
			    logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "Double Press ON")
				//DOUBLE TAP - SYNC TURN LIGHTS ON AND ENABLE DIMMER SYNC
				if(Light_House_Soffit.state == 0){
					logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Turning Lights ON and Syncing Switches")
					sendCommand(Light_House_Soffit, ON)
					sendCommand(Light_Garage_Soffit, ON)
					postUpdate(dimmerSync,2)
					}
					else {
						logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Syncing House Dim Value to Garage and Syncing")
						percent = ((Light_House_Soffit.state as DecimalType)).intValue
						sendCommand(Light_Garage_Soffit, percent)
						postUpdate(dimmerSync,2)
					}
				//DOUBLE TAPPED WHEN DIMMER SYNC IS ENABLED
				//BREAKS THE SYNC.
				if(dimmerSync.state == 2){
					logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Dbl.TAP --> Disabling Dimmer SYNC")
					postUpdate(dimmerSync,0)
				}
			}
			case 1.4 : { 							/* Tripple Tap ON */
			   	logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Tripple Press ON")
			   	postUpdate(dimmerSync,3)
			   	sendCommand(Light_House_Soffit, 2)
				sendCommand(Light_Garage_Soffit, 5)
			}
			/*OFF*/
			case 2.0 : {							/* Single Tap OFF */
				logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Single Press OFF")
			    }
			case 2.3 : {							/* Double Tap OFF */
			    logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "--> Double Press OFF")
				postUpdate(dimmerSync,0)
				sendCommand(Light_Garage_Soffit, OFF)
				sendCommand(Light_House_Soffit, OFF)
			}
			case 2.4 : { 							/* Tripple Tap OFF */
			   logInfo("RULE.LIGHTING.Light_House_Soffit", "-->Tripple Press OFF")
			   postUpdate(dimmerSync,0)
			}
		}
    end
2 Likes

@Python - THANK YOU! this is a phenomenal response and exactly what I was looking to hear. I had suspicions, and my ZWave knowledge isn’t strong enough to feel fully confident. Unfortunately my order of GE switches screwed me, now I’m just trying to find the cheapest place to buy 29 of these switches (WS/WD/WA models varying counts). It’s a heavy cost, so searching for any discount avenue. So far, looks like smarthome.com with their 20% off is the best - but unfortunately they don’t have them all in stock and won’t necessarily for awhile. :frowning: Called and found out their current backorder was ordered in Dec from HS, and is just now set to arrive next week.

Trying to order from HS now directly with their packs that save some money here and there, just trying to scour the internet for a direct HS 10% coupon or something. My bigger rush is to replace the GE switches now, as I’m going to try and make a claim with my CC company for “Return Protection” - basically offers to refund you for things you purchase that you may not be happy with after ordering but within 90 days of purchase. 2/8 is the end of that 90 day window :fearful: - any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Enough of my money ranting - onto the functionality. I’m excited to hear this all works as expected and with the 2x/3x tapping as well. I never had a switch capable of that, but definitely have some uses for those. Things like using a 2x for turning off all the downstairs lights when going to bed, or just turning off all the kitchen lights (about 4 different loads). And for some simple scene activation on switch/dimmer (movie time, bedtime, etc).

Are you able to share that video a different way? Seems FB won’t let me see the video you shared? Perhaps not made public (I don’t blame you!)? I would love to see what you’ve crafted.

I will upload the video to Youtube, It’s probably because i posted it to a private group called “Smartthings Users Group” as someone was asking questions about this switch as well.

I have a site for you (looks lat 90’s lol!) but it’s legit. A person in the same FB group above bought about 20 switches from him and got a discount. I can’t afford doing all my switches at once but send this guy a message on facebook and he will give you a discount, He offered 8% on 10+ switches. I bet you can wheel him closer to 10% with that many switches!

http://www.haworldonline.com/

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/haworldonline/

I too been searching everywhere and the prices are super regulated the only way i found this site is from the other person ordering from him.

Try this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLt_0uj2I4

Well crap i didn’t fully read the 20% off at smarthome.com… I now know where i’m buying more switches :joy:
I wonder when they will be getting stock…

So I’ve found. It was worse when I ordered for my last house. I ordered the Levitons that are now like $50/piece, they were $75-80 each. I’m just biting the bullet to do them all now and get it over with. I live in a community, so electricians are around on a daily basis. It’ll be easy to have them just swap em all out.

I’m attempting to reach out to HomeSeer directly too and see if they’ll help out. Told em I’d praise and highlight their switches online in the home automation space and giving theme almost $1k of direct business. If they could even offer one of their 10% coupons I’ve seen at times, that’d be perfect especially with their 3 and 5 packs that save a few bucks too. But I’ll see what that HAWorldOnline will do too. Thanks for the tip!

I’m in Canada and the first two switches i purchased were $70+HST. I live close to the US and will be ordering/picking up my next order in the US. Even with our exchange rate it comes out to a saving.

Interesting conversation, guys. I’m doing my home upgrade one item at a time (and, as a result, in the least cost-effective manner possible…).

If you’re looking for a way to indicate that the lights are about to go off, I suggest a quick blink about a minute before they do so. I’m using this technique in my garage, and it works very well with incandescent (oh, the horror!) bulbs. It might not work quite as well with dimmers (can they even blink?) or LEDs (which react to a blink in power very quickly and may frighten instead of inform).

I’ve written up the state machine which runs this in a post here.

Hope that helps some,
Bill

That’s the best way to do it! I’ve had my switches for about a month as well as door sensors and have spent every evening tweaking the code and i can say i’m finally happy with everything. I’m over 1000 lines of code just to control my dimmer syncing and when the door open/closes for light scene plus presence. Its all starting to come together.

If you try to do too much at once it just complicates things greatly - getting to a stage your happy with and add on after that is the best way imo. I’m just starting to look into getting more dimmers to complete my house/garage soffit lighting and want to get my kitchen automated with some motion sensors. (Lights left on when no ones in the room drives me nuts so i want to deal with that as a room presence/motion rule)

I was toying with the idea of going zigbee for individual light control to deal with a notification type system. Went as far as briding my smartthings hub with OH2 to have dual communication in both directions from each via mqtt and tested it out. It works good, but it starts getting overly complicated when you have a fixture with multiple lights in it. Ended up returning my demo zigbee bulb and will go the dimmer switch route for everything i think.

The problem with using the dimmer switch as a “blink” won’t work due to these switches having a ramp up; increase x% every x ms. So the change in value isn’t instant.

I might still end up going with zigbee, maybe a single GU10 pot light that is solely used as a indicator at my house entrance. Undecided. Its not the end of the world but i want to be able to know/do almost everything without having to touch my phone to see specific items. or a

I found this, 5% off at homeseer: http://www.homeseer.com/homeseer-lighting-coupon.html?gclid=CPPfk6HG9dECFQERaQodILgMjQ

1 Like

Ya they offered me the 5%, and I received a notification via email a few hours later - one of those abandoned cart type notifications for extra discount if I want to come back and finish my order. LoL. So I did it, and just pulled the trigger to get it done/over with for now. It’s too much to have to wait until they come into stock at SmartHome - only net myself $85 savings overall anyway. Amazing process time though - ordered Thur evening, Notification they shipped Friday mid-day/afternoon, and apparently they’re on the truck for delivery today!

PS - If anyone is looking to pickup some GE 12722/12723/12724’s - please message me. I’m going to try and list on eBay, we all know I’ll be losing money there too. I’d love to give someone in the OH world a discount on these for direct transactions than pay eBay/PayPal.

Was the abandoned cart discountgreater 5%?were you able to stack the coupon code above i gave u ontop of it? I want to order 5 switches and want the extra discount ontop of 5% lol

Unfortunately I’m not sure, I didn’t try putting it in as it said not combined with any other offers. I’d assume once you put one code in, they won’t take any more, but you can certainly try. I’m attempting to get another abandoned cart offer today as I screwed up and missed ordering 2 accessory switches. Sadly, I spent enough but I’m $7 shy of getting another $5 off reward coupon … so I’m contemplating just buying 1 to get me over the hump then buy another with the coupons at almost $0. Just gotta weigh the shipping cost.