ZWave Binding Offline After Upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1

Hello, I just upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 and the ZWave binding is offline. When I check it in Habmin, it is noted as “zwave.thingstate.serial_notfound”

For background, I have the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 controller connected to a port on my Raspberry Pi 3 running openHABian. Everything worked well in 2.0. I see the following in my openhab.log:

2017-06-30 22:03:20.237 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/USBzwave'
2017-06-30 22:07:15.098 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - ZWave port is not set.
2017-06-30 22:07:46.742 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Stopped ZWave serial handler
2017-06-30 22:07:46.803 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/USBzwave'
2017-06-30 22:08:20.543 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Stopped ZWave serial handler

To preempt any questions on it, my serial port alias shouldn’t be a problem because I have several other serial port aliases (a relay controller and AlarmDecoder) that are working fine after I upgrade to 2.1.

You’re help is much appreciated.

just an idea: for 2.0… did you customize your /etc/defaults/openhab2 with something like EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/USBzwave" ?

If yes, you will have to edit it again since (from what I have seen), file /etc/defaults/openhab2 will be overwritten with the distro default during the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1

It’s actually /etc/default/openhab2 (no “s”). Easy to check if it’s used (ps -ef|grep java, check the arguments)

Two more things to check:

1. is the openhab-transport-serial bundle installed ?
  2. do you have a thing for the zwave controller and does it have your serial port configured ?
1 Like

It looks like there is an issue with my alias, even though it was working perfectly well in 2.0 (and the other aliases continue to work in 2.1). Everything is working fine when I switch from /dev/USBzwave to /dev/ttyACM0.

I went back and /etc/default/openhab2 was overwritten. I added the following line and everything is working now:

EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/USBalarm:/dev/USBrelay:/dev/USBzwave"

The strange thing is that I didn’t have the entry for /dev/USBalarm, but the AlarmDecoder binding was working, and I didn’t have the entry for /dev/USBrelay, but that relay board was working.