ZWave binding updates

I believe it should work ok - I’ve not tested the latest version, but the only changes are around the serial port, so if the controller comes online, then I would expect that it will probably work.

Chris

Thanks, afraid it doesnt work! Question marks come up on the nodes in Habmin. Rolled back…

I’ve updated to the last zwave binding but I noticed that the Things do not show the newest zwave parameters until I remove the things and add them again.

Is it possible to force and “update” to all installed things to get the latest binding changes? When there are a lot of devices is a mess removing and adding all again.

Thank you!

I am removing and rediscovering things via PaperUI, are just a few clicks …

That is expected and a limitation of the openHAB structure, It is recommended to delete all Z-Wave device Things (NOT exclude from the network) (not the Controller) and rediscover. They come back with the same thing ids so Items are not broken.

1 Like

No, but this may help…

3 Likes

Does it keep the Z-Wave controller Thing?

Yes

1 Like

I name all my things so I know visually what node is where removing and adding means I gave to go through and lookup what they are from item files

Interested to know how others are managing this?

I name my Items but keep the default names for the Things.

Hello,

Is it possible to have Z-Wave binding supporting IP Z-Wave gateways?
for example mCamView Z+
I plan to run openhab in kubernetes, and do not want to be depended of any com/usb ports.

Ed

I am not familiar with that product. Do you have a product link?
I know we do not support Z/IP but i believe there are ways of accessing Z-Wave hubs and USB sticks across the IP network.

When the Z-Wave specification is publicly released, i believe we plan to update the binding based on the standard instead of today’s reverse engineered binding.

The binding supports the standard Serial API for ZWave. If these devices implement that, over IP, then it might work. People are using IP serial extensions with the binding as another alternative.

1 Like

Hello,

I have this box: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000799702965.html

Ed

That can likely be controlled by the flexible openHAB, but not using the Z-Wave binding.

HTTP binding may work but you would need to figure out the configuration. There is a reason the cheap Chinese stuff is cheap.

It appears to be designed for their cloud server service. It is up to you if you want to send your information to China…

Have a look over here: Share Z-wave dongle over IP (USB over IP using ser2net / socat ) guide

I have my OpenHab installation running on a BHyve VM and it works like a charm with a remote USB stick on a Raspi attached to the ceiling.

1 Like

Typically boxes like this do not expose the ZWave devices or protocol - they expose their own UI and may have an external API that can be used. It will not however work with the ZWave binding.

1 Like

Is it possible to access zwave thing attribues ‘last_wakeup’ and ‘last_heal’ from openhab rules ?

Also, how can I enumerate attributes of specific thing?

The short answer is it’s no possible to access thing properties from rules.

The much longer answer is you could do it if you accessed the REST interface, but that’s not super simple.

1 Like

You can use REST, but this is entirely possible using scripted automation. Let me know if you’d like an example. I’ve also included a module for manipulating Things in the Jython helper libraries.