ZWave binding updates

Hi Dim,

I finally purchased one and used your settings and everything is working with the USB power now and updating more often than using the battery mode.

Thanks again for your help!

Best, Jay

1 Like

Hi,

I am pretty new to OpenHAB, and I have been setting things up mostly with the Z-Wave controller for now. I have 7 light switches which I had previously paired to our alarm system, but they weren’t working reliably or quickly, which is why I looked into a home automation system instead. The lights are working very well, much more reliably than the alarm system ever was able to control them.

I had an old Z-Wave lock, Schlage BE469, lying around which I had bought on Amazon 2 years ago. I wasn’t able to pair it to the alarm system at the time, even after exchanging it for a replacement, so I bought another lock from the alarm vendor, and this one sat in a box, determined not to be compatible with the alarm system, which was notably picky.

I wasn’t originally planning on pairing this lock with OpenHAB, but after my success with the Z-Wave switches, I got ambitious. I was previously using 2.3 of the Z-Wave binding, but when I couldn’t get it to pair with the lock, I found version 2.4 and did the update in the addons folder. I had a couple bad attempts at performing this upgrade, but I have since deleted all my Z-Wave things, including the controller, and re-added all of them, reconnecting to the switch Items, and re-associating with my rules.

The response is always the same, regardless of how many times I do it. I go to the inbox in PaperUI, hit the plus button, and while the pinwheel is spinning, I hit the Schlage button, type the programming code plus “0”. After a few seconds, the X on the lock appears instead of the checkmark. Nothing is presented in the inbox on PaperUI. I’ve also tried it in HABmin, and the response is the same. The log on the console acknowledges binding mode, but doesn’t report anything else.

I know the lock is compatible, since it appears in the Z-Wave list under BE496 Touchscreen Deadbolt (zwave:schlage_be469_00_000).

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try?

Thanks,
Neil

Exclude the lock and reset it. Also, get it as close to the controller as you can. <10 ft but closer is better.

I’ve done factory resets on the lock twice. It was never successfully joined to a system, so there’s nothing to exclude. I’ve had the lock as close as 1 foot to the Z-Wave controller (the lock isn’t installed, it’s sitting on my desk).

Try actually touching the lock to the controller when doing the inclusion. Start inclusion first, then put the lock in include mode. Which controller are you using, are you doing the inclusion through OH, and is the binding configured to use security? And just to be sure, which versions of OH (bottom of dashboard or Karaf) and the binding (list -s |grep zwave in Karaf) are you using? Lastly, try fresh batteries. My locks get flaky when the batteries are low. If I let the batteries go to zero, sometimes I even need to reinclude them… they’ll still be included but it’s like they lose their security key.

Afterthought… are the lock and controller using the same zwave frequency? I think Schlage only released the lock in the US.

And don’t forget that

:sunglasses:

“4. Ensure that your default region is set so that temperates etc are properly configured. Note that thermostats will not work if this is not set.”

I’m curious about the “default region” mentioned in step #4… I live in Windsor, Ontario. Since I live right across the river from downtown Detroit (and watched their weather forecasts on TV growing up) I tend to set/read my thermostat in Fahrenheit, despite living in Canada where the official unit of measure is Celsius. Since upgrading my zwave binding and setting my location, my zwave thermostat is now cranking the temperature to 90 degrees (the maximum heating setpoint) whenever my custom climate rule executes. This is a new problem, so I suspect this new location configuration is to blame. How does this setting work exactly and why is it now necessary where it wasn’t before? Trying to diagnose the issue. Thanks in advance!

Ok, I got it to recognize. I had to put secure inclusion mode to “All Devices” instead of “Entry Control Devices”, and it recognized it right away. Thanks for the suggestions, I didn’t think to go looking for secure inclusion mode.

1 Like

With the UoM system, ESH will convert your data to/from the units relevant for your locale. When the commands are sent to the binding, they also now have the units attached, so the binding knows what to do with them. This was not the case in the past, and the binding now needs to know this or it won’t be able to send the right command to the device.

1 Like

Heh. OK, so even though I have my thermostat set to display the temperature in Fahrenheit, because I live in Canada I have to pass the setpoint temp to the thermostat (via zWave) in Celsius… Either that or I guess I could always tell it that I live in Detroit (1 km away)… LOLz! Anyhow, that’s fine I guess, so long as I know what it’s doin and can compensate… Thanks so much for the info! :smiley:

No - not at all. You can use either F or C, but you must use UoM so that the units are passed to the binding otherwise the binding has no idea what the units are.

Hi Chris can you confirm this binding is an older one prior to merging with the snapshot?

251 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201809081506     │ ZWave Binding

Regarding UoM or what? Took me a five seconds forum search:

Zwave as per my post. I didnt see any mention of zwave in your linked post.

I guess you are referring to the merging of the development branch with security etc? That was done on the 9th Sep by the looks of it, so the version you reference was probably the last before the merge.

Thank you Chris.

Would appreciate your input on my other issue around dual controllers here - Zwave Binding adding a second controller

Does the Milestone version include the security enhancements or are they only in the 2.4.0 Snapshot?

241 x Active   x  80 x 2.4.0.RC1              x ZWave Binding

Milestones M3 through M8, RC1, 2.4 stable, and 2.5 snapshots all have these changes.

1 Like

Sorry - I just spotted this message. If you don’t mention me with the @chris, then I don’t get a notification and am likely to miss the message if I’m busy.

I hesitate asking this, because it seems an obvious question, but I haven’t found an answer yet: What’s the recommended way to upgrade from the earlier 2.4 snapshot releases to the official 2.4 release? Do I have to do the remove-uninstall-install-add-dance again? Thanks!!