ZWave binding updates

Not too likely. the code is frozen for 2.5.
2.5 Release Candidate 1 releases today and 2.5 stable releases on Sunday according to the current schedule.

Just to be clear Davor, you tried several recent snapshot and 2.5M6 and had this issue with controller going offline and online repeatedly then downgraded to 2.5M5 and it fixed the issue right?
Also you are on Windows platform which to me seems important for trying to run this down. Guessing butā€¦

sounds like could be part of problem

1 Like

Hello!

Yes, Iā€™ve tried 2 recent snapshots and M6 and they didnā€™t work. I havenā€™t reverted to M5, but the backup of snapshot #1460 I had installed before updates. Iā€™m on Windows 10 platform (not sure what build, since I turned updates off - had many problems with them).

Best regards,
Davor

Some people have has issues with recent OH versions of they were using an old version of Zulu Java 8.

I would expect recent versions of Java 8 are tuned to work with the latest Windows 10 builds. If this were commercial software, their first response would be to update Windows & try again. Many updates fix bugs & flaws in the underlying OS. Those who do not update are, many times, left to solve their own issues.

Well, thatā€™s the only thing left I can try. Iā€™ll update Windows and try upgrading OH again to the latest nightly. Drivers, firmware and java are already on the latest version anyway.

Best regards,
Davor

Hello!

Iā€™ve just updated Windows 10 to the latest version (1909), so, this is what Iā€™ve done so far:

• Updated Windows 10 to the latest version (build 1909)
  • Updated Java JRE to the latest version (1.8.0 build 231)
  • Updated Aeotec Z-Stick S2 to the latest firmware (v3.08)
  • Updated Aeotec Z-Stick virtual COM port driver to the latest version (10.1.8.2466)
  • Updated OpenHAB to the latest snapshot (#1774) - Iā€™ve also tried #1770 and #1771, as well as Milestone build (M6)
  • Excluded all devices from the controller and included them again
  • Delete all z-wave things in OpenHAB and recreated them (I did this every time Iā€™ve upgraded OpenHAB to a different version)

Iā€™m still getting the same ONLINE/OFFLINE behavior from the controller.

Hereā€™s a part of openhab.log file with problematic part extracted.

At 22:01:30:

2019-12-10 22:01:30.980 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2019-12-10 22:01:31.960 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING
2019-12-10 22:01:31.964 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
2019-12-10 22:01:35.119 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to ONLINE
2019-12-10 22:01:35.122 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ has been updated.

Than at 22:01:52 again:

2019-12-10 22:01:52.809 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from ONLINE to UNINITIALIZED
2019-12-10 22:01:56.116 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:serial_zstick:4a6237e0ā€™ changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)

I tried everything I knew, but without success.

Best regards,
Davor

1 Like

Hi!

I had the same issues for the past couple of days on a Raspberry Pi 3 with openhabian, so it is not windows related but it is an issue with Openhab 2.5M6 and 2.5RC1.

I reinstalled openhabian from scratch and load a backup, using 2.4 all is good, 2.5RC1 I have the same symptoms on the Zwave controller item and the RFXCom one.

I updated Openhab to latest snapshot build - currently 2.5.0 1774 - and everything is back to normal ! :slight_smile:

Since final 2.5 is not yet released, I hope it will be based on snapshot and our issue would be solved.

1 Like

Thank you @davorf and @giantpopples for reporting your findings. Please report what you have found here in this thread if you have not. Please be sure to mention it is not just on Windows

Have you disabled the power management on the USB port that the controller is plugged into?

Hello!

If you mean checkbox that says ā€œAllow the computer to turn off this device to save powerā€, it was enabled (checked). Iā€™ll try to disable it and upgrade to the newest snapshot. Thank you for the hint.

@Andrew_Rowe: somebody else linked this thread to RC1 thread, but Bruce said my report is not relevant, so, I guess thereā€™s no need to report it there.

Best regards,
Davor

Hello!

Iā€™ve tried #1774 last night, after Windows update, but controller was still going ONLINE/OFFLINE every half a minute. Parts of the log Iā€™ve attached are from #1774 nightly.

Best regards,
Davor

What version of Java do you have installed ? Mine is Zulu 8.40.0.178 based on Java 1.8.0_222-b178.

Itā€™s JRE 1.8.0 build 231. Latest build, as far as I know.

Best regards,
Davor

Davorf, with all due respect for @Bruce_Osborne, who puts in a lot of time here in the forums lately, your join date (Aug 2015) and his join date ( past June) make your opinion carry a little more weight in my mind. Let the developers decide relevance especially in the light that he characterized your issue as one lone Windows user with an unupdated setup now being reported by a Pi user. Thank you for reporting your issue

1 Like

I did not mean to offend. At that time (before you updated), I did not see how one report on an unpatched OS could be a critical issue.
As stated in that thread though, the maintainers are the ones who actually make that final decision.

@wborn tells me that there is a new snapshot #1775, maybe you can try it to see if issues persists ? I did not have to clean the cache between versions to see the serial issue disapear, but maybe you should.

also have the problem offline / online on Raspberry since the update
openHAB 2.5.0.RC1 Milestone Build
Z-Wave installed over Papper Ui ā€¦ with 2.4 I had no problems

1 Like

Hello!

As far as I know, cache is cleaned every time you use a PS script to update OH (script deletes both temp and cache folders). Havenā€™t had time to try any nightly after #1774 - Iā€™ll probably do it tonight. If the problem persists, Iā€™ll report it to 2.5 RC1 Critical issues thread.

Best regards,
Davor

1 Like

and what about offline / online problem?

Hello!

Iā€™ve just tried nightly #1776 with power saving disabled on virtual COM port (the one with Z-Stick S2 connected), but I still get OFFLINE (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)/ONLINE problem.

Best regards,
Davor