Zwave constantly restarting

Hi, I’ve finally taken the plunge and upgraded my very stable OH1 install to OH2 as the IOS app nolonger works.
I’ve got the hang of most of it, but for some reason my zwave binding constantly restarts. I’ve got a zwave.me UZB controller and have just updated the firmware on it.

The error seems to relate to a timeout, but someone else might have a better idea. Here’s what gets logged:
The key bit appearing to be:

2020-12-13 14:14:18.548 [DEBUG] [nal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - ZWave Transaction manager failed to terminate properly, forcing shutdown
openhab.log (374.2 KB)

you updated to OH2 a day before OH3 RC1 is released and less that 2 weeks prior to OH3 release. Hmmm.

It would be good to see your addons.cfg file from your configuration directory and the addons.config file down in the userdata tree. If there are invalid addons, the loader reloads all addons every minute trying to load the invalid one. OH stores the addon information in the userdata directory tree.

I know, probably not the best idea but never mind! It’s been configured and waiting to go for about a year, I keep coming back to it to try to sort it. Got so annoyed with not being able to adjust the brightness of my lights from the oh1.8 web interface on my iPhone that I decided to take the plunge and swap over.

I’ve just managed to get it working properly with the zwave1 binding, I now realise that wasn’t working due to the serial port not being in EXTRA_JAVA_OPT.
addons.cfg:
package =expert

# Access Remote Add-on Repository
# Defines whether the remote openHAB add-on repository should be used for browsing and installing add-ons.
# This not only makes latest snapshots of add-ons available, it is also required for the installation of
# any legacy 1.x add-on. (default is true)
#
remote = true

# Include legacy 1.x bindings. If set to true, it also allows the installation of 1.x bindings for which there is 
# already a 2.x version available (requires remote repo access, see above). (default is false)
#
legacy = true

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "binding = sonos,knx,zwave")
binding = mqtt1,squeezebox,zwave,astro1,serial1

# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. "ui = basic,paper")
ui = basic,classic,paper

# A comma-separated list of persistence services to install (e.g. "persistence = rrd4j,jpa")
persistence = mapdb,mysql

# A comma-separated list of actions to install (e.g. "action = mail,pushover")
action = prowl

# A comma-separated list of transformation services to install (e.g. "transformation = map,jsonpath")
transformation = xslt,map

# A comma-separated list of voice services to install (e.g. "voice = marytts,freetts")
#voice = 

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "misc = myopenhab")
#misc = 

.config:

:org.apache.felix.configadmin.revision:=L"35"
action="prowl"
binding="mqtt1,squeezebox,zwave,astro1,weather1,serial1"
legacy="true"
package="expert"
persistence="mapdb,mysql"
remote="true"
service.pid="org.openhab.addons"
transformation="xslt,map"
ui="basic,classic,paper,habmin"

You have both zwave and zwave1 specified. That is likely causing a conflict. For best support, remove zwave1 from your addons.cfg.

It may be worth verifying in the Karaf console that they are not both installed.

openHAB3 will not support v1 bindings bit the new remoteopenhab binding exposes OH2 Items in OH3 where they can be controlled.

Sorry to confuse - I did have just zwave I now have just zwave1 as I needed everything to work again.

zwave1 works fine with no issues, unfortunately there’s no way to manage the zwave network with the zwave1 binding install so I’d like to switch to the zwave binding, but as above, it doesn’t work for me.

I’ve edited my post to show how it was when not working

@rlkoshak or some others that worked through the transition from v1 to v2 may be able to help. I have not been here that long. Sorry/

Unfortunately I won’t be any help. There were no Zwave problems when I upgraded from 1.8 to 2.0. But that was close to five years ago so if there were problems I doubt I remember how to fix them, plus the Zwave binding has been completely rewritten in that time.

I believe there are others using that controller successfully so I can’t comment so theoretically it should work.

@jamesm85 o help debug this though I think you will need to document:

• all the steps you took from installing the 2.x binding through discovering the Things
  • complelte debug logs from openHAB startup
  • any other strange behavior seen (e.g. more than just Zwave is restarting)

On big thing that tricks people up is that some bindings have gone away and others have changed location over time. If those bindings remain in addons.cfg (or /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/addons.conf (something like that)) all the bindings will restart about once a minute as it tries and fails to install the missing bindings.

1 Like

I believe the filename there is addons.config Close though. :wink:

Thanks @rlkoshak, I’ll have another try tomorrow - I don’t believe it’s the ‘restarting every minute’ issue, as soon as I swap to zwave1 binding everything works flawlessly, when zwave(2) is running it restarts more often than every minutes.

I’d keep zwave1 if there was a way of managing it without having to start oh1 back up again

Perhaps @chris can have a look at the log you posted earlier. He is the developer and may have further troubleshooting ideas.

Please can you post the log as a file - or post using code fences so that it’s readable and I’ll take a look…

1 Like

Are you stopping zwave1 binding before running zwave binding?

yes, stopping openhab, changing config, starting openhab

1 Like

openhab.log (374.2 KB) Thanks Chris, sorry I didn’t realise I could upload files - please see attached

Many thanks
James

2 Likes

The log doesn’t show too much - the controller just seems to close down (see below - the mysql error is not related - I just show it to show there is nothing for 18 seconds in the log, then the controller closes).

2020-12-13 14:15:00.040 [ERROR] [sql.internal.MysqlPersistenceService] - mySQL: Unable to find table for query 'Weather_Rain'.
2020-12-13 14:15:18.983 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 7: Controller status changed to OFFLINE.
2020-12-13 14:15:18.990 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Controller status changed to OFFLINE.
2020-12-13 14:15:18.991 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: Controller status changed to OFFLINE.
2020-12-13 14:15:18.994 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 11: Controller status changed to OFFLINE.
2020-12-13 14:15:18.994 [DEBUG] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Stopping ZWave network

So, either there’s something external that is doing this, or possibly there’s a serial error that causes the port to close. I can’t really see what causes this though since most serial errors should log another error (which I don’t see). The strange thing is that the first thing we see is all the individual things showing messages that the controller is OFFLINE, so my guess is that there is something external going on here.

Sorry - that’s not super helpful. If you have logging from other parts of the system, that might also be worth looking at to see what else is going on just before this event.

If you have the stick attached to a USB cable you might try replacing or removing the cable.

Try shutting down OH and comment out the binding and action lines from both your addons.cfg and addons.config files. Also, confirm you do not have any jars in your /addons/ directory. If you do, remove them and clear the cache. Restart OH and see if it restarts. If not, add just the just Z-Wave binding (v2). If you want to stay with a file based setup, just use addons.cfg and not addons.config. If OH does not restart continuously, then add your bindings back in one at a time, waiting at least a minute between each, until OH begins to restart. Let us know which binding or action it is.

1 Like