zWave: devices are losing state

Dear all

I’m using 5 Sensative Strips as door and window contacts. The state is updated immediately when a door is opened or closed - so far so good. But:
a) when OH is started no state is available, it is reported with a “-” in my sitemap
b) after a while (don’t know the duration exactly) same as in a) is reported, means the state is lost

As soon as I open/close a door/window again the state of the corresponding item is updated correctly. But that means I have to walk everyday through the house and open/close all the doors/windows where the sensors are attached. My expectation is that the sensors are working even when I don’t open/close a door for weeks.

Any idea how I can fix this reporting/state update problem?

Thanks & Regards
John

My current setup:

• Windows 10
  • OH 1.8.3
  • zWave binding snapshot 1.9.0.201701030211
  • Aeotec AEOEZW090-C Aeon Labs USB Stick

a) can be prevented with using a persistence. Preferrable for this is mapdb, since it only stores the last value and restores it on startup. So you won’t get an “-” (uninitialized) when you start OH. You should have a look at the 1.x documentation. It’s quite easy to set up a persistence.

b) is not normal. I am also using this sensor and haven’t had any lost states, neither in OH1 nor in OH2. Could it be that you get this “-” state because of OH has restarted? And you didn’t notice this restart, therefore you think it just happened?

You should have a look at the log files. And you should try to define what “after a while” means? Is this the same for all 5 sensors? Maybe you could make a rule which will be triggered by this change of state and the rule then posts a short message in the log file? This makes it easier to check what happens and when it does happen.

[quote=“jaydee73, post:2, topic:19973, full:true”]
a) can be prevented with using a persistence.[/quote]
Perfect, thanks for that hint - will change that :thumbsup:

b) Could it be that you get this “-” state because of OH has restarted? And you didn’t notice this restart, therefore you think it just happened? [/quote]
No. I’m tracking system restarts very closely and I get noticed in case of every restart. The OH log files corresponds with that, so I am 100% sure that the root cause art not due to unexpected restarts.

Is this the same for all 5 sensors?[/quote]
Yes, it is.

Good hint, will try that and come back as soon as I have infos out of logfile.