ZWave dimmer rule

Hi, due to Fibaro being totally rubbish, I have to write my own dimmer rules (problems with association groups etc). I’m getting errors on this rule, any ideas?

var buttonDown = false
val intensity = 0

rule "Long press"
	when
    	    Item nursery_scene_s2_hold received update
	then
    	    buttonDown = true
    	    intensity = nursery_light_lamp.state
    	    while(buttonDown){
        	// increment or decrement dimmer by 10
        	intensity = intensity - 10
        	sendCommand(nursery_light_lamp, intensity)
        	Thread::sleep(100) // experiment with the value to control dimming speed
    }
end

rule "button released"
when
    Item nursery_scene_s2_release received update
then
    buttonDown = false
end

2016-01-05 00:06:07.597 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents ] - nursery_scene_s2_hold state updated to ON
2016-01-05 00:06:07.645 [ERROR] [o.o.c.s.ScriptExecutionThread ] - Error during the execution of rule 'Long press': org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher$NoSuchMethodException: Couldn't find method ''_assignValue'' for objects [JvmVoid: (eProxyURI: nursery.rules#xtextLink_::0.2.0.2.0.0::0::/1), buttonDown , true, org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.DefaultEvaluationContext@3ba41050, org.eclipse.xtext.util.CancelIndicator$1@1c118b8f]
2016-01-05 00:06:09.517 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents ] - nursery_scene_s2_release state updated to ON
2016-01-05 00:06:09.544 [ERROR] [o.o.c.s.ScriptExecutionThread ] - Error during the execution of rule 'button released': org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher$NoSuchMethodException: Couldn't find method ''_assignValue'' for objects [JvmVoid: (eProxyURI: nursery.rules#xtextLink_::0.2.1.2.0.0::0::/1), buttonDown , false, org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.DefaultEvaluationContext@100fcb9a, org.eclipse.xtext.util.CancelIndicator$1@1c118b8f]

You may need to explicitly define and cast intensity to an int.

Also, intensity can be reassigned so it has to be a var, not a val.

var int intensity = 0

intensity = (nursery_light_lamp.state as DecimalType).intValue

Thanks for the reply, I made your changes and am still getting an error :frowning:

2016-01-05 20:09:41.690 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents ] - nursery_scene_s2_hold state updated to ON
2016-01-05 20:09:41.698 [ERROR] [o.o.c.s.ScriptExecutionThread ] - Error during the execution of rule ‘Long press’: org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher$NoSuchMethodException: Couldn’t find method ''assignValue’’ for objects [JvmVoid: (eProxyURI: nursery.rules#xtextLink::0.2.0.2.0.0::0::/1), buttonDown , true, org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.DefaultEvaluationContext@723d3595, org.eclipse.xtext.util.CancelIndicator$1@1c118b8f]

The error indicates it can’t find a way to assign the new value to buttonDown. I think the problem can be fixed if we explicitly tell it that buttonDown is a boolean.

var boolean buttonDown = false

Ok I think I’m really close, thanks for the help.
Here is my current rule:

var boolean buttonDown = false
var int intensity = 0

rule "Long press"
	when
    	    Item nursery_scene_s2_hold received update
	then
            buttonDown = true
	    intensity = nursery_light_lamp.state as DecimalType 
            while(buttonDown){
        	// increment or decrement dimmer by 10
        	intensity = intensity - 10
        	sendCommand(nursery_light_lamp, intensity)
        	Thread::sleep(100) // experiment with the value to control dimming speed
    	    }
end

rule "button released"
when
    Item nursery_scene_s2_release received update
then
    buttonDown = false
end

And this is the error in OHDesigner. Where am I messing up the syntax?

intensity =(nursery_light_lamp.state as DecimalType).intValue

Hmm, I still get errors in OHDesigner.
If I remove the capture of current state and just set the value, then the dimming rule works, although I think there’s going to be further questions at some point after a bit more reading; Like it won’t exist immediately I let go. So say I’ve held it for 60 iterations, but it’s only dimmed for 10 iterations when I let go, it’ll still cycle through the rest. I’m sure there’s a better way of doing this.

Anyway, here’s the last error:

Make sure you are importing the DecimalType class in your imports. I remember which package it is in so if you add these three it should get handled.

import org.openhab.core.types.*
import org.openhab.core.items.*
import org.openhab.core.library.items.*

Just as an update to this, I got annoyed at it all and sacked it off, going to the source of the problem (the hardware) and I think I’ve fixed the problem I was having, so no longer need to write rules to control the dimming directly.

The above imports didn’t work for me still, however, now I’ve removed all my rules and written another one (a less complicated, “goodnight” mode for the nursery where it just dims all lights down over 15 minutes) and it works fine.

In that one I just used “var Number myNum” and it gave no warnings. “var int myNum” wasn’t working in the previous one.

When I return to it at a later date (probably when OH2 is released) I’ll update so any other beginners might get something useful from it.

Closed for now.
Christian